Could 850 Calories and hour be true?

Options
I have been hitting the treadmill 5 to 6 days a week for the last month. I typically burn 220-240 calories in a 30 minute session. Last night I went to the local rink and played hockey for 2 hours. Up and down the rink with high school kids ( I am 41 ). When I got home I went on My Fitness Pal to log my exercise. I typed in Hockey 90 minutes figuring I didnt push it the whole time. The computer spit out a whopping figure of 1388 calories burned. I was shocked. I knew I had a good cardio workout and sweat quite a bit but I cant believe that it equals more than double the rate of walking 3.5 mph on the treadmill. Hockey is fun too. DO YOU GUYS THINK THESE NUMBER COULD BE RIGHT?
Please respond and tell me what you think.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I always wear my polar FT4 HEART RATE MONITOR, and these MPF values are way over-inflated. You really would have to wear a heart rate monitor in order to know correctly.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    From my understanding MFP numbers are really high comparing to the actual calories burned. Thats why a lot of people are inquiring about and purchasing heart rate montiors with the chest stap so they can get a more factual calorie reading.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    it might be it might be not. you never accurately know without a HRM. It's why I only eat half my exercise cals back.
  • momofallboys
    Options
    try this site to help figure it out

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/exerciseinfopage.html
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I do believe MFP is really off when it comes to how many calories I have burned for a session. I say this because whenever I input in how many calories I have burned on a machine from the gym, the calorie count is typically always off. I would use your best judgement. I do believe MFP goes off a specific kind of setting or level to create the values each exercises are based off of. Every body is different.
  • tfranceen
    tfranceen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know that my treadmill spits out numbers similar to MFP for walking. Still think the numbers are bad and if so how far off?
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Hockey, basketball and my sport, raquetball are very similar to interval training. Lots of stop and explosive go repeatedly. This really gets the calories burning much more than a consistent pace of a treadmill or elliptical. I try and do both to get the benifits of each.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the previous post. I wear a HRM most of the times that i work out and it has been spot on when compared to MFP. Seriously within 2 cals. I believe the workout.
  • tfranceen
    Options
    Man this site rocks. There are thousand of posts on here. I figured mine would get lost with all the other post. NOT. Your replies are great fodder. I especially like the ones that say I did burn 1388 cals. Terry I think your right about the start stop and I believe trying to stay balanced on skates makes you hold your core tight. That burns a lot of cals too. Look like more rink time and less treadmill. Thanks everyone
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    And for me, MFP has been low, compared to what my Polar HRM shows...so...

The consensus is, no, you cannot trust MFP's numbers. Especially because everyone is different, and exercises differently.

And yes...850 calories an hour is easily doable.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the previous post. I wear a HRM most of the times that i work out and it has been spot on when compared to MFP. Seriously within 2 cals. I believe the workout.

Wow! Thats great but mine is not. Mine has a chest strap so the computer module is right over my heart. Everytime I log in my exercise it is off by AT LEAST 150 calories.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It think it all depends on your weight and the effort you put into it. I looked this up at Livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302358-calories-burned-playing-hockey/

One Period

The amount of calories burned in a single 20 minute period for a 170 lb. athlete is 206 calories. Calories burned in the same amount of time for a 190 lb. and a 215 lb. athlete are 230 calories and 260 calories, respectively.
    Continuous Hour

A 170 lb. athlete playing hockey for 1 hour will burn 618 calories. An athlete who weighs 190 lb. would burn 689 calories, whereas a heavier athlete of 215 lb. would burn 780 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302358-calories-burned-playing-hockey/#ixzz1Ca5i1dmS

They got it from:

http://health.discovery.com/centers/cholesterol/activity/activity.html

But, I have to wonder how you could measure measure actual calories burned while playing a sport. If I go on a treadmill, I know that I can generate X watts of energy over Y time. I know that because I can measure the amount of electricity generated during a session. But, if I'm playing a sport and not wearing a monitor, how do I now for sure? At that point, I'm only guessing.

Also, how good are you at hockey? If you're a good player, you'll be more efficient so, you'll burn fewer calories.

Regardless, you had a great cardio workout, much better than my measly 177.

Keep it up!
  • tfranceen
    Options
    I am not good at skating and require a lot of energy to keep my balance and stay in the flow of the game. I agree that it would be hard to accurately measure cals burned playing a sport. I guess in general I am getting a good cardio workout and having fun doing it. If the numbers are even remotely accurate I could really increase my weight loss over time. Tomorrow marks 28 days since I started this life change and I have lost 28 pounds. Very Atypical I would think. Some would say unhealthy. One month is great but I need to see 3 or 4 months go by to know im on the right track
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sorry for double post...