HRM for someone allergic to metal? (nickel allergy)

Options
I really want a HRM for my walks and for my exercise. I called Polar, they gave me some models but each one had some sort of metal on it...like on the clasp. I can't wear ANY metal at all...wondering if there are any recommendations....

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    My aunt has a metal allergy, and she paints clear nail polish on the back of her jewelry, where it will be touching her skin, and it forms a barrier. Would that be feasible???
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Not sure if that is since I'll be sweating up a storm and it will rub against me, most likely making me miserable... hmmm.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    The HRM I purchased has a plastic backing, as does the chest strap. I had to do quite a bit of research to find the one for me (yep, hate that nickel allergy. The one that I found was made by bowflex... not exactly what I wanted in terms of functionality but it does the basics well enough, and it's the only one that won't give me a watch sized rash on my wrist after my work out.
  • Bryan190
    Options
    Looking at the strap for my Polar FT7, the clasp appears to be held off my skin by the strap material, but I suppose it's possible for my skin to contact it when it is pulled very tight. The metal is coated with what feels like an enamel paint and no bare metal is apparent. In any case it would not be difficult to wrap a small piece of soft gauze or other material around the clasp after attaching it.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    The HRM I purchased has a plastic backing, as does the chest strap. I had to do quite a bit of research to find the one for me (yep, hate that nickel allergy. The one that I found was made by bowflex... not exactly what I wanted in terms of functionality but it does the basics well enough, and it's the only one that won't give me a watch sized rash on my wrist after my work out.

Ah hah! Was looking at that on amazon the other day....ok good to know. Yeah nickel allergies ....sigh.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Looking at the strap for my Polar FT7, the clasp appears to be held off my skin by the strap material, but I suppose it's possible for my skin to contact it when it is pulled very tight. The metal is coated with what feels like an enamel paint and no bare metal is apparent. In any case it would not be difficult to wrap a small piece of soft gauze or other material around the clasp after attaching it.

The FT7 was one of the ones they recommended when I called them but the "coatings" never work for me......and then unfortunately neither does the "gauze" stuff. Metal always comes through...then I get the awful stuff...
  • janesmith1
    Options

Which model of Bowflex, was just perusing Amazon and there seems to be several Bowflex models....
  • busub
    Options

Which model of Bowflex, was just perusing Amazon and there seems to be several Bowflex models....

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-Precision-XT-Active-Trainer/dp/B003H3PHTG
  • Bryan190
    Options
    The FT7 was one of the ones they recommended when I called them but the "coatings" never work for me......and then unfortunately neither does the "gauze" stuff. Metal always comes through...then I get the awful stuff...
    Wow, your's is indeed a severe sensitivity. I think if I could not find a unit that performed well with no metal, I'd use the approach of wrapping the clasp with plastic (baggie) and then wrap that with soft material. No sweat-induced metal contact could occur then.
  • busub
    Options

BTW there is some metal on the backing (screws to hold it in place). But as long as you don't wrap it too tight it shouldn't touch you.
  • janesmith1
    Options

Nice, can you use it for walking/running outside or is it just for treadmills, etc?
  • busub
    Options

Nice, can you use it for walking/running outside or is it just for treadmills, etc?

Either or... the chest strap takes some getting used to (the feel), but I use it for everything.