Lose weight too fast?

Options
I am sure that this has been posted before, but when I did a search I really didn't find a good answer so my apologies if this is a repeat of a earlier post.

I started dieting and exercising to reach my desired weight of 165 pounds. When I started I weighed 196 pounds. I am a 5'7" male. I have lost 16 pounds in just under 4 weeks and I feel great. I have been going to the gym regularly, both cardio and weight training and I have been eating well, paying a lot more attention to what I actually eat now. I am not starving myself at all, I eat a few times a day and I am staying around the websites 1100 calories a day, after my workouts. Occasionally I come in under, but that is not because I am trying to eat less it is simply because I am not hungry and I may have worked out for longer that day.

My question is, I read (and I am told) that it is unhealthy to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. I am sure that my weight loss is going to plateau and it will come off slower, but is it really that unhealthy, especially when you are not doing anything that can be remotely called extreme?

I honestly didn't think I would get such fast results, but I did go from about a 3000-3500 calorie diet to 1200. I must say again I feel better than I have since college, I have more energy and I am getting my confidence back. Thoughts?

Replies

• spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    it is "normal" for it to come off quickly at the beginning. The closer you get to your goal, the more slowly it will drop. I wouldn't sweat it. 4 lbs a week isn't *that* fast, and I doubt it is sustainable.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I don't think there's a problem at all you will definately lose weight at a rapid pace if you went from 3500 calories to half that. As long as you are feeding and fueling your body and getting some great working out in I wouldn't worry. I believe every body is different and the same doesn't always apply for all. I think the biggest issue if anything would be maintaining the weight loss as I notice many get to their goal then fall off and it is gained back with even more weight. Not to be discouraging, because I totally don't mean it that way. I guess basically it's just being mindful of that issue and staying faithful to what you started so you can not have that problem.
  • PRCatie
    PRCatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting as I had the same question. I have been dieting for just over a month and have lost 18 lbs so far. Like you, I thought it was just because it was the beginning. I am usually far below my daily calorie amount but I am eating and do not feel hungry. When I get time to work out I come in far below my daily calories. I am anxious to see what everyone else has to say... Good luck!
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We all lose fairly quickly at first because it's a BIG jump for most of us going from eating whatever we want in fairly unlimited quantities to following a diet plan and cutting calories down. I lost 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks and have been plateaued while my body catches up. Being a guy, you're simply going to lose more quickly than a woman would, but eventually it will balance itself out. :)