Struggling

Options
Ok so I having been exercising regularly since Christmas. I joined this site 5 days ago and have stuck to the calories and exercise everyday. I know your body weight fluctuates but I have gained 2.5 lbs since I started this. I feel like I'm getting nowhere. I am weighing myself on an empty stomach. I know it hasn't been very long but seeing a huge gain like this is depressing. Soes anyone have someinsight? Thanks.

Replies

• jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are putting on muscle, are you working out consistently?
  • jen051279
    Options
    I have beenpretty consistent in my working out over the last 2 months so I don't think that explains the weight gain in the last five days. Thank you for the thought though.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! As women, we retain salt, and water, so our weight does fluctuate up and down!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    its all about your nutrition...
  • Lstrode
    Lstrode Posts: 51
    Options
    don't forget to add in the monthly cycle fluctuations, too.. yay.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    stick it out a little longer, try it all while you're using this site :)
  • josephrachel
    Options
    Is it possible that it could be due to your monthly cycle? Bloating and water weight could be your culprate if your montlhy visitor will be arriving in the next 10 days. 2 weeks prior to my period I put on an additional 5 lbs! It goes away afterwards but it is very frustrating.
    Or possibly if you are on birth control that could do the trick. I am one of the few that are affected by weight gain with birth control, but it has caused me so much greif that I opted to get my tubes tied instead. Not only do I gain weight when using birth control but I can't lose weight no matter how hard I try.
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.....whenever I "officially" try to lose weight the first week or two I always gain weight. I'm not sure why my body reacts like that, but it does. I always blame it on water weight - normal weight fluctuations due to hormones etc. However the past few weeks my weight loss slowing down can't be attributed to that and I think I know the culprits - underestimating the calories I'm taking in and overestimating the calories I'm burning. So....I'm going to stop "eyeballing" things and actually measure them out like I used to do and I'm going to invest in both a food scale and perhaps a heart rate monitor.

You said you've been working out consistently....perhaps it's time for a change in your workout? I've read many times that your body becomes used to the same exercises and becomes efficient at doing them over time...meaning it burns fewer calories....so maybe tweaking your exercise routine a bit may boost the calorie burn.....just a thought. Hang in there!
  • Lstrode
    Lstrode Posts: 51
    Options
    Is it possible that it could be due to your monthly cycle? Bloating and water weight could be your culprate if your montlhy visitor will be arriving in the next 10 days. 2 weeks prior to my period I put on an additional 5 lbs! It goes away afterwards but it is very frustrating.
    Or possibly if you are on birth control that could do the trick. I am one of the few that are affected by weight gain with birth control, but it has caused me so much greif that I opted to get my tubes tied instead. Not only do I gain weight when using birth control but I can't lose weight no matter how hard I try.

I was the same way !! I tried 3 types of BC pills, and gained every time! That was SO frustrating ! I opted for an IUD last time. I'm starting to lose, now that I'm on this site. Everyone thought I was crazy when I said they made me gain. I felt horrible b/c it wasn't even my fault!
  • jen051279
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I know I need to stick it out. I have been trying to change up my exercise. I have been working out on my Wii Fit and I let it pick random exercises for me so I even do the ones i don't like. Today I went for a walk at the mall. It is just hard to get started adn stick to it but some how I will succeed.
  • traceyblt
    Options
    I know what u mean, ur trying ur hardest only 2 step onto the scales and they go up instead of down,its happened 2 me a few times mainly due to monthly cycle. When this happens 2 me i,m very tempted to reach 4 the chocolate and just say 2 hell with the diet but i don,t. Stick in there u will see results soon i,m sure :)
  • carib_light
    Options
    Hi Struggling,
    I know how it could be. I think you should check your weight again in 2 days at the same time. If your weight has not reduced and you are following all the rules, then you have another issue but I think its the water weight.: Keep up the good work wink:
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's hard to judge not being able to see your diary :wink: Are you tracking your Sodium levels and are you eating min 1200 cals per day PLUS some of the cals earned while working out? These can slow down losses :heart:

Have you tried measuring yourself you may have lost inches/cm and not weight but it will all balance out :flowerforyou:

Check out these threads too http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Marm1954
    Marm1954 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweet Pea, I think you need to eat your calories earlier in the day instead of having your big meal at night.
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    I have noticed for myself - when I start dieting exercising, my body seems like it runs about 3 weeks behind. It takes me 3 weeks to see scale results and then once it starts it seems like it goes pretty quick and steady. And then when I stop, it seems like I continue to lose for a week or so.
    For instance, I started spinning and weight lifting classes 4X a week Nov 1. The classes ran till Dec 13 (when I spent a week in Mexico). I dropped 4 pounds on week 3 and 4 and several inches. Then the holidays we were all off, and started back up Jan 2.. (have had a few snow days inbetwen!!) but Im just now starting to lose again here at the 3 -4 week mark, since starting back up Jan 1.

Maybe your body is doing something similar?
  • lizzie4015
    Options
    testing this!