Exercise before breakfast

Options
I have found this to be an easier way of getting my exercise in, going on the elliptical trainer 30-60 mins before breakfast. I also have read a lot of research stating this is a good way to burn fat.

So my question is - have any of you had that experience with exercising before eating breakfast?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I do my daily exercise before breakfast. I like getting it out of the way so I can get on with the rest of my day. I usually go for a run, or a cycle, or do an exercise DVD - any of those for an hour. I can't say what the results have been compared to exercise any other time of day, but it's working for me and I find it has really helped with my energy levels.
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    All the time in the Marines we would be up and PTing before the sun and breakfast. It kept me in shape that is for sure.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I do early morning spin classes among other things. They start at 6:30 and I need to leave the house around 6am to get a bike, so I can't eat before because there just wouldn't be enough time to digest. I think for me those sessions really kick butt in terms of fat loss.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only workout before breakfast. I find it I get past noon I just simply don't have the energy to do it nor the motivation. If I get up, do my chores, then workout, I tend to keep my energy level up until about an hour before my bed time.

I can't say if it's more effective or not per se.
  • jojojor
    jojojor Posts: 24
    Options
    My persoal trainer recommends eating a small snack (apple,nuts etc)before morning exercise,and then i always eat breakfast when i get home.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I always do a 1 or 2 mile walk before breakfast/before work because it seems to really give me the energy to get through work then in the evenings i either do another mile, my box fit class, zumba or soon go to the gym to weight lift.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I always exercise before breakfast. It's the coolest part of the day, I get to watch a sunrise, it means I don't have to give up time with my family, and by 7am, I've filled my exercise quota.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just finished getting my burn on. I will eat breakfast in about 45 minutes after I shower. I'm cooling down now.:bigsmile:
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    I always do my exercises, ( treadmill/slim in 6) before breakfast. It gives me more energy throught the day and motivates me to stay on track.
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    I always exercise first thing in the morning before I eat anything.
    Research says it's a good time. For me, it's when I have the most energy and it's easier without food holding you down!
    Off I go now! :happy:
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Exercising before breakky has proved wonders for me. After my runs i usually feel much better, its just getting out of bed thats the hard bit. For the rest of the day i tend to have more energy and feel much more energised.
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    I always try and fit in 45-60mins on my exercise bike before breakfast, stick some soap on the TV and vigorously cycle! I agree that by lunch time I will have no energy to exercise, I prefer to get it out of the way.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wish exercise before breakfast worked for me! I need to eat something fairly substantial and give it time to settle, before doing anything strenuous. Otherwise I tire much more quickly, feel miserable and often get nauseas.

I still like exercising early in the morning, for the reasons everyone else mentioned. I just have my breakfast first.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    i worked out before breakfast for about 4 years and recently switched to evening workouts. i much MUCH prefer evening workouts.
    before breakfast means that i am starving / tired by 11 am. I ended up eating more calories thru the day.
    When I plan for my workouts to be around 4 pm, or 8 pm, i find that my dinners are much lighter. and I get a much better workout in as i have energy from food I consumed during the day.
    I have noted my muscles recover much more quickly in this manner.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I frequently exersice before breakfast. My motives are entirely out of conveinence

I do not beleive that exersicing before breakfast burns more "fat" or "calories" If you were to the point where your body was burning fat during an exersice you would hit a wall and be lethargic. I think I've only done that once, and it was during a 10 mile run.

Ideally, and historicly I have my best and most intense workouts at 10am and two hours after breakfast. But you know, there is that career and family thing.
  • carmen62
    Options
    I do at least two early mornings per week in the gym.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lone voice for post-breakfast exercise. If I don't eat before my morning walk I seem to get a little nauseated. I have a light breakfast first thing and then get out there. As a matter of fact, I need to get going right now!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried that and found I ran out of puff :noway: so now I have a good brekkie and give it time to settle :bigsmile: I like the fact that I can burn off some of the food I have eaten :wink: Also I usually grab a cheesestring just before to give me an added boost and one afterwards :heart:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The science behind the fasted cardio theory for anyone who is interested...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • cj1234cj23
    cj1234cj23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have always found it much better for me phsyically and psychologically to do exercise before breakfast. It helps give a feeling of control and lots of energy. Also, doing cardio before breakfast is supposed to burn up to 30% more fat off the body. Now, that's an idea I like. Right now, though, I try to do my strength training every other day and core training every other day when I first wake up. Much easier for me to get that stuff out of the way and do my cardio when I get home. Besides, my elliptical is in the corner of my living room and I like to be near my daughter when i get home so can talk and catch up. I can do that on my elliptical. When doing the other exercises, I like music so I can concentrate on the muscle I'm working on. Make sense?