Who has tried TABATA?

Options
I would like to hear from those who have tried the Tabata protocol. Has it worked for you? For those who don't know what it is, checkout this site...

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Replies

• kbellnurse
    Options
    I've tried it! I have an interval timer at home and I've used it with my kettlebells. I did 4 rounds of 4 minutes. 20s work 10s rest,. It was pretty intense. I felt totally toasted at the end of it. But to be honest I prefer a bit longer workout with a little bit longer rest times. But I am all for the intensity all the time! Great way to switch up my workouts or work in a short one when your pressed for time.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to ever since getting my interval timer recently. I asked my personal trainer about it and he said it really does burn a lot more fat per calorie.

I've been thinking recently of starting up a interval training/Tabata support group, with a goal of doing it twice a week. Do you think you or other MFPers would be interested?
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ive tried tabata, and boy does it burn you up! I'd only recommend it to those who are somewhat fit or physically acitve to begin with. Because you are moving intensely you can sometimes sacrifice your form which is not good. I use the WorkOut Muse app on my iPhone to ser the Tabata intervals. Its a great app for any sort of training. I love it! . I dont always do Tabata ...only when im short on time and want to work out. Its great also because if you dont have equipment you just do body weight exercises.

Have fun with it ..and remember to keep form :) ...just my 2cents ;P
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reference.

Hoping some PTs or trainers with experience of doing Tabata properly might post as very interested.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I would like to hear from those who have tried the Tabata protocol. Has it worked for you? For those who don't know what it is, checkout this site...

That website and that video is a joke. Everyone these days considers Tabata to simply be 20s on and 10s off which is just ridiculous. The original Tabata had nothing to do with an elliptical or kettlebells or anything of the sort. The true Tabata is 20s sprints on the bike followed by 10s off for a period of 4 minutes and the only people that are able to get through that workout are elite athletes and I doubt if any of them would recommend even trying it or better yet wanting to do it again.

As for the video the trainer is recommending using the highest resistance which is just silly because you can never go hard enough to really feel dead at the end. Same thing for HIIT workouts you want to go on the lower end of the resistance because you want to max out your sprint which you can't do at a higher intensity.

I get frustrated when people call Interval training HIIT and when people call any 20s/10s Tabata. I'd like to see one person on this site do the true tabata protocol and then come back here and advocate other people doing so.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    That website and that video is a joke. Everyone these days considers Tabata to simply be 20s on and 10s off which is just ridiculous. The original Tabata had nothing to do with an elliptical or kettlebells or anything of the sort. The true Tabata is 20s sprints on the bike followed by 10s off for a period of 4 minutes and the only people that are able to get through that workout are elite athletes and I doubt if any of them would recommend even trying it or better yet wanting to do it again.

That's what I thought... I thought it originated from hard cycling drills, and being a cyclist I was interested.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I have done a (30sec on/30 sec off) tabata. 4x4 = 16 mins.

As far as I'm aware, you can change the format. The 4 exercises I did are hopscotch, burpees, push ups, squats.

Google a guy called Craig Ballantyne. He does lots of different formats.

Its intense, but it's great :bigsmile:
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I incorporate Tabata into my training plan throughout the year especially in the fall when racing cyclocross. I believe the original study done by Dr. Tabata was preformed on cyclist but Tabata got the idea from watching rowers train.

First thing first, it has a specific protocol. All out effort 20 secs followed by 10 sec repeat for 4 mins. Anything else its not Tabata. The reality, most people won't even finish the first few times they attempt, they'll pop if you truly give an all out effort. The conclusions were powerfull:

After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity in his subjects, along with a 14% increase in their ability to consume oxygen (V02Max). These results were witnessed in already physically fit athletes. The conclusion was that just four minutes of Tabata interval training could do more to boost aerobic and anaerobic capacity than an hour of endurance exercise.

Someone mentioned 30 / 30's , a study done by Veronique Billat incorporate 30 / 30's with the "on" portion being done at vVo2max for runners and pVo2m for cyclist. This was a new form of training Vo2m as historically traditional Vo2m sets in cyclist were done at a lower intensity (110% of FTP) for up to 5 mins. With Billat, the "off" portion is just as important as the 'on' in cyclist they preferm the 'off' portion at 60% of FTP with the idea you don't want to recovery too mcuh as you need to reach maxiumum oxygen uptake during the on portion.

I've never really considered either method for strict weightless goals, it wouldn't be something I would consider really unless you just want to mix up a routine.

I would introduce both types of workouts in a Vo2m block for training though for performance gains. I use 30 / 30 at 125% / 60% all the way up to 2.5 / 2.5 at (120% / 60%) with my athletes that train with power. They hate it :)
  • kbellnurse
    Options

As for the video the trainer is recommending using the highest resistance which is just silly because you can never go hard enough to really feel dead at the end. Same thing for HIIT workouts you want to go on the lower end of the resistance because you want to max out your sprint which you can't do at a higher intensity.

I get frustrated when people call Interval training HIIT and when people call any 20s/10s Tabata. I'd like to see one person on this site do the true tabata protocol and then come back here and advocate other people doing so.

Apologies for "frustrating" you "boreseasily". Since I am a tabata imposter I would be interested in a HIIT group if anyone else is! :)
    Cheers.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, joke or no, I DO tabata protocol all the time, usually 1 day a week (the original), it's 14 minutes of hell. and yes, you must be in very good shape to complete it, and no, I don't wish how you feel after on my worst enemy. But DAMN is it good for your VO2 Max threshold.

While doing other exercise types are not the original protocol, I see no reason why it cannot be adapted to receive excellent results.

Dr. Tabata didn't do this in a vacuum, he chose bikes because they were easy to acquire and you could do high levels work on them to great effect, but nothing in his original research indicated that tabata must be performed via the bike. At least not that I recall, it's been well over 18 months since I read the original research he did.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    The true Tabata is 20s sprints on the bike followed by 10s off for a period of 4 minutes and the only people that are able to get through that workout are elite athletes and I doubt if any of them would recommend even trying it or better yet wanting to do it again.

So, how is this different from running JJ's in football practice?

(JJ's = sprinting out 40 yds & back, rest a few seconds, repeat 6 x or until you puke).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The true Tabata is 20s sprints on the bike followed by 10s off for a period of 4 minutes and the only people that are able to get through that workout are elite athletes and I doubt if any of them would recommend even trying it or better yet wanting to do it again.

So, how is this different from running JJ's in football practice?

(JJ's = sprinting out 40 yds & back, rest a few seconds, repeat 6 x or until you puke).

absolutely nothing. In fact, I encorporate something similar in my boot camps. My big finale is monsters (10,20,30 yard monsters), I.E. 120 sprint, rest, 120 yard sprint, rest, I do how ever many people look like they can handle. But I can only handle 6 or 7 before really look bad (and as a trainer, you never want to look bad in front of others doing the same thing as you), so I usually stop there.