Looking for a super fat blasting gym workout

Options
I am involved in a few different weight loss challenges at the moment and am hoping for a substantial loss at my "Biggest Loser" weigh in at work on Friday... Does anyone have any good treadmill/ circuit training/ gym workouts they reccomend? I only have about an hour a day so the more efficient, the better. Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• newnicole
    Options
    Look up tabata... It has really helped me this week and was suggested by another one of my friends the MFP so check it out!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I dont know of any ood fat blaster workouts that won't take more than an hour, but I am on a program where we always win biggest loser competitions. In fact I recently just decided not to joint a biggest loser contest because I knew I would win---its just the way my program works.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT for short) is thought to be a very efficient form of cardio. It boosts your metabolism so you continue to burn more calories over the next 24 hours than you would have from steady-state cardio.

Here's the wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training. If you google it, you'll find a lot more info.

Also, since you have a full hour, I would recommend doing HIIT for 20 minutes followed up 40 minutes of steady state. The reason is, the HIIT should be so intense that it should be pretty much impossible to continue beyond the 20 minutes.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    running/speed walking intervals
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ANY Jillian Michaels DVD. I lose one pound every time i do one of her workouts!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT for short) is thought to be a very efficient form of cardio. It boosts your metabolism so you continue to burn more calories over the next 24 hours than you would have from steady-state cardio.

Here's the wikipedia entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training. If you google it, you'll find a lot more info.

Also, since you have a full hour, I would recommend doing HIIT for 20 minutes followed up 40 minutes of steady state. The reason is, the HIIT should be so intense that it should be pretty much impossible to continue beyond the 20 minutes.

If you can do steady state for another 40 minutes after a HIIT workout you're not working hard enough. HIIT should floor you, hell you shouldn't be able to get through a full 20 minute HIIT workout unless you've been working up to it or you're an elite athlete. And you damned sure shouldn't be able to follow it up with 40 minutes of steady state if you're really doing HIIT.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a spin class? :smile:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred (22-27 min tops) and interval running/jogging for another 25-30 minutes after - you will already be warmed up for your run/jog.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Intervals and circuit training which incorporates strength and cardio in a full body workout!! Very effective and never boring! :)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    if your looking for cardio the stair climber is no joke, HIIT is awesome too, I would say weight training but since your doing a weekly type weigh in weight training might mess your numbers up especially if you lift heavier weights (not talking about 2-5lbs) keep your food tight
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

If you can do steady state for another 40 minutes after a HIIT workout you're not working hard enough. HIIT should floor you, hell you shouldn't be able to get through a full 20 minute HIIT workout unless you've been working up to it or you're an elite athlete. And you damned sure shouldn't be able to follow it up with 40 minutes of steady state if you're really doing HIIT.

Hmm, if you are correct then I am not pushing hard enough. I will have to look into this. Now I'll confess - I haven't actually done steady-state immediately following my HIIT, like I suggested above, but I have done 40-60 minutes of steady state cardio a few hours after HIIT.

I have to completely disagree with you on this point though: "hell you shouldn't be able to get through a full 20 minute HIIT workout unless you've been working up to it or you're an elite athlete." That's just not true. High Intensity is relative to each individual. You don't have to be an elite athlete to do it. If you're 400lbs and 50 years old, maybe high intensity means walking up an incline. If you're Lance Armstrong it means sprinting ridiculously fast on a bicycle. That's one of the reason's I am a big fan of it -it scales to each individual's fitness level, and scales with you as you improve.
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Hmm, if you are correct then I am not pushing hard enough. I will have to look into this. Now I'll confess - I haven't actually done steady-state immediately following my HIIT, like I suggested above, but I have done 40-60 minutes of steady state cardio a few hours after HIIT.

I have to completely disagree with you on this point though: "hell you shouldn't be able to get through a full 20 minute HIIT workout unless you've been working up to it or you're an elite athlete." That's just not true. High Intensity is relative to each individual. You don't have to be an elite athlete to do it. If you're 400lbs and 50 years old, maybe high intensity means walking up an incline. If you're Lance Armstrong it means sprinting ridiculously fast on a bicycle. That's one of the reason's I am a big fan of it -it scales to each individual's fitness level, and scales with you as you improve.

You can disagree all you want. A untrained individual should feel like they're going to die about 5 sprints in. The person according to the original research should be sprinting at 90% of their V02 max for short bursts. Sprinting = maxed out and can push no further. No untrained individual should be able to get through 20 minutes of that and more importantly still move for another 40 minutes directly after.

Here's the original research.
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/hhns/grad/courses/HHNS6130W09/HHNS6130W09Mar31Perryetal2008.pdf
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

You can disagree all you want. A untrained individual should feel like they're going to die about 5 sprints in. The person according to the original research should be sprinting at 90% of their V02 max for short bursts. Sprinting = maxed out and can push no further. No untrained individual should be able to get through 20 minutes of that and more importantly still move for another 40 minutes directly after.

Here's the original research.
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/hhns/grad/courses/HHNS6130W09/HHNS6130W09Mar31Perryetal2008.pdf

Cool. Did you even read it? :wink:

Couple of quotes that popped out:

"Prior to the study, subjects were not involved in structured training programs, but did participate in some for of aerobic activity"

"During the first and second training session, the power output was adjusted to the highest intensity that each subject could tolerate for a complete set of 10 intervals."

Like I said, it is scaled to each individual.
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Options
    bump
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sheesh... I just wanted to have a good weight in Friday by switching up what Ive been doing at the gym... Didn't mean to start so much controversy :) doing a little research on the HIiT training... It reminds me of fartlek training and I'm familiar with that.. Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sheesh... I just wanted to have a good weight in Friday by switching up what Ive been doing at the gym... Didn't mean to start so much controversy :) doing a little research on the HIiT training... It reminds me of fartlek training and I'm familiar with that.. Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options

You're still missing the point, I'm afraid. For the 400 lb 50-year old guy, if high intensity means walking up an incline -- followed by walking on a level surface I assume -- he should only be able to do it for a few cycles, and definitely not for 20 minutes. If he can do it for more than 20 minutes than it simply ISN'T HIGH INTENSITY (for him). If he's physically incapable of doing an exercise that sufficiently taxes him for HIIT that's fine too. HIIT isn't for everyone, and that's another reason why it ISN'T recommended for untrained individuals. (Along with the higher stress on joints.)

What BoresEasily means with regard to a trained athlete, the highest intensity exercise possible -- an all-out sprint -- may not be enough to tax them in 20 minutes.

Edit:

Now hill-walking for the 400 lb 50-year old guy may still be a great form of cardio exercise... it's simply not HIIT. That doesn't make it better or worse. But call it what it is.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    I think I see the point that you guys (BoresEasily and Teemo) are trying to make.

Let's look at it in terms of cars. Say we have one older model that can do a top speed of 80mph. We also have a second car, which is a modern sports car that maxes out at 142mph. Let's say both of these cars are giving it 90% for their sprint mode. Barring any math errors, that gives us 72mph for the first car and 127.8mph for the second car. The first car is the 400lb 50 year old, and the other car is Lance Armstrong.

What I'm saying is they are both sprinting, *relative to their own abilities*. They should be able to continue the intervals and be exhausted by the end of it.

What you guys are saying, I think, is the first car is indeed sprinting, but in about 2-5 minutes it's going to blow a gasket on the engine head and come to a grinding halt, while the other car continues to the end.

I picked an extreme example with the 400 lb guy. Maybe that guy would indeed "blow a gasket". That's an extreme example. But I think an average person should be able to manage it. (provided they had all their regular oil changes, fluids flushed, and tires rotated :laugh: )

Not even sure if I should hit send because I doubt we will reach agreement. Eh, what the heck....

@emma44ny, and everyone - sorry for the huge derail on this thread :flowerforyou:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    tabata anything really. especially something using your legs, or other large groups of muscles will do it, and do it well.

i usually do tabata rowing a few times a week. 20seconds on 10 seconds off, for 4 minutes, and i'll do 3 sets...
    for that 20 seconds, i'm pushing maximal efforts. the harder you work the better.

Also sometimes do squats with this. that works you HARD. You can do with anything though.

Same goes for HIIT. It needs to be hard. very hard. do the rowing one, you'll pass out almost. lol.