Pancakes? Substitutes?

Options
Hi! Valentine's Day is coming up and I was researching some fabulous recipes online. One downside is that I can't find HEALTHY alternatives to all the ingredients. Maybe some of you could help?

I wanted to make pancakes for my BF. I found a great Vanilla-Strawberry ones. First off, I've never made them from scratch, so for a healthy alternative I have no idea where to begin. The ingredients include:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries

According to the site the recipe is
Amount Per Serving Calories: 280 | Total Fat: 9.7g | Cholesterol: 58mg

Looking this over already, doesn't seem so bad, but I'm concerned about the flour and vegetable oil?

Replies

• swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Try whole wheat flour, two egg whites insead of one egg, skim milk, and less sugar. With the strawberries in there, you may only need half that sugar, if that.

Let us know these turn out! They sound yummy!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    instead of suga and vanilla extract, how about some sugar free vanilla syrup (the ones made for coffee). I would also find an alternative to flou. I don't use flour, but you could go to your health food store and check it out. There is a whole line of flour-like products by Red Mill ( I think that is the brand).
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy - will have to give it a try!
  • Little_Poppet
    Options
    I'm on the Dukan diet and have been eating the recommended oat bran pancakes for breakfast. They're not as nice a the real thing but they're tasty enough and fill you up. 1.5 tbsp oat bran (this is different from rolled oats), 1.5 tbsp non-fat fromage frais, 1 tbsp sweetener (like canderell) and one egg (or egg white to lower the fat even more). Oil the saucepan with a few drops of oil, wiped off with kitchen paper. You can swap the sweetener for a pinch of salt for savoury pancakes.

Chloé
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    These are great ideas! I will let you know how they come out!! I'm so excited!
  • goodm3
    goodm3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Here's a link to some oatmeal protein pancakes i make,i use a sugar free syrup with them. Now, it doesn't taste like the ones from Ihop but its something to break up the your breakfast routine every once and while.

Oatmeal Protein Pancakes
    Oxygen #58, pg. 149

Ingredients:

• 4 egg whites
    • 1/3 cup dry oatmeal
    • 1 scoop low-card protein powder
    • 1/2 banana sliced

http://www.oxygenmag.com/main.php?page=7&id=238
  • richars65
    richars65 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is to use egg whites in lieu of whole eggs, it'll cut the fat and total calories down.