Protein Question

Options
I alloted 45 grams of Protein per day, yet I always go over! Any advice on how to stay at the 45 gram mark?? Does anyone else have this trouble???

Thanks!

Replies

• laurynwhite
    Options
    I go over a lot of days, too. Is it bad to eat too much protein?

Lauryn
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert but I usually try to go over. It's just opinion based on what I have read but I find the protein set low
  • ursula71
    Options
    Why are you only allotting yourself 45 grams of Protein?? That seems really low to me....

I eat 1 gram of protein for every pound I weigh...
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor advised you to go low-protein or something? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. "Too much protein" is not something most people need to worry about.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you exercise regularly, your body needs more protein and it's not going to hurt you if you take more than what your body needs. My recommended intake is about 52g, but on work out days I usually take in 75-90g.
    See below on how you can figure out how much protein you should be taking in daily.

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Your muscles feed on protein, and it also helps your metabolism as your body has to work harder to digest protein.
  • mandalina23
    Options
    I was trying to follow what the site set up when I put my weight, height and , my goals... Ok, I won't worry too much then, I was just getting nervous since I was going over a lot. Thanks guys for the help!! :smile:
  • mandalina23
    Options
    If you exercise regularly, your body needs more protein and it's not going to hurt you if you take more than what your body needs. My recommended intake is about 52g, but on work out days I usually take in 75-90g.
    See below on how you can figure out how much protein you should be taking in daily.

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs:

1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm.

Use a lower number if you are in good health and are sedentary (i.e., 0.8). Use a higher number (between 1 and 1.8) if you are under stress, are pregnant, are recovering from an illness, or if you are involved in consistent and intense weight or endurance training.

Example: 154 lb male who is a regular exerciser and lifts weights
    154 lbs/2.2 = 70kg
    70kg x 1.5 = 105 gm protein/day

Your muscles feed on protein, and it also helps your metabolism as your body has to work harder to digest protein.

Ok I did this and got my protein! Much higher than the alloted amount from the website. I think I'll have my morning banana snack now with out worry! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!!