Who eats exercise calories?

Options
I have not been eating back calories burned from exercise and I think that is the reason that I'm not losing as quickly as I could be. I've been sticking to 1200 calories a day even though I burn approx. 600 through exercise most days. Do you think that eating exercise calories is important? If so, do you eat ALL or just some of those calories back?

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat half of them and see of that helps.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I do!

after reading this and my stalled weight lose is moving again!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

think of it this way if you were going on a long trip would you just put in 1 litre of fuel....

good luck on your journey!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them, definitely at least half.
    Louise
  • shoe0513
    Options
    You still need to fuel your body. I eat them and I'm still losing weight. A friend that is a trainer told me the more you exercise the more you can eat.
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yes. eat them.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I eat at least half back to allow for inaccuracies in how much I have actually burned.

C
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should eat at least half of them.
  • NancyQR28
    NancyQR28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them too. Usually I only have about 35-75 left over. I think if you are alloted so many, then you should try to eat as close to your allowance as possible.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating back calories burned from exercise and I think that is the reason that I'm not losing as quickly as I could be. I've been sticking to 1200 calories a day even though I burn approx. 600 through exercise most days. Do you think that eating exercise calories is important? If so, do you eat ALL or just some of those calories back?

So basically you are only getting 600 calories per day which will cause your metabolism to slow down and your body to start holding onto fat and burn protein from your muscles. When you Daily Goal is at 1200 you have to eat those calories to bring you back to at least 1200 or you will stop losing fat. Link below will explain it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Like others, I eat at least half. I definitely agree with those who say, the more calories your burn the more you should eat, BUT it is important that you make healthy choices.

If you are only taken in 1200 calories and then burn around 600 of them, then basically you are only getting about 600 calories in that day...that doesn't sound very healthy.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yep, you need to eat them, especially if your base intake is only 1200. Your body needs that much to keep going and keep your metabolism up. Try making sure your net caloric intake is at least 1100 each day and see if that helps. You might want to go even a little over that for one day just to give your metabolism a kick start and let your body know that you're going to start giving it more fuel.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    I eat most or all of my calories burned
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    NOPE! but I never burn that many calories either. Are you positive you are burning 600 calories? I wear a HRM and MFP always gives me very over-inflated values. I trust my HRM with a chest strap over MFP. Trust me, I am not in starvation! I keep my blood sugar level all day long! If I happen to feel hungry from exercising (rarely) I add extra protein.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes I do :bigsmile: I eat back at least half of them and somedays more but I use a HRM not the MFP calculations :wink: It's working so far for me :drinker:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yep, you need to eat them, especially if your base intake is only 1200. Your body needs that much to keep going and keep your metabolism up. Try making sure your net caloric intake is at least 1100 each day and see if that helps. You might want to go even a little over that for one day just to give your metabolism a kick start and let your body know that you're going to start giving it more fuel.
  • Capucine72
    Options
    I eat almost all.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Isn't that why we work out? So we can eat more. I have always eaten all my exercise calories and I have never gone below 1380 calories a day.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat at least half of mine back. I always make sure my net calories are at lesat 1200. No one should net much under 1200. Your body may not be gettign teh nutrients it needs. if you get a note about starvation mode you need to eat more. Good luck!
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back.

If I eat any lower than around 1400 my weight will stall, so I often will have to eat half a quarter to half the amount of calories I burned.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most of them and try to get as close to that calorie goal as possible. Some days it's just too much food, so if I'm happy I don't worry about being a couple hundred calories under. Every once in awhile I go over by a bit too, so it tends to even out over a week or so. But consistently being hundreds of calories under goal could lead to problems.