Type 1 Diabetic & Long Road Ahead

Options
My name is Cindy. I've been a type 1 diabetic since the age of 12. I use an insulin pump to manage my diabetes. I have about 80 pounds or so to lose.

Replies

• BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was pregnant at age 24. I took pills until I was 36. After that had to go on insulin. I started out with one shot a day and after trying my 5th insulin which was very powerful (HUMIN R U-500- A 5 times concentrated insulin) my endicronologist suggested gastric bypass surgery. At that time I weighed 243lbs and was 58 years old. I was taking 6 shots a day and over 1000 units of insulin a day. I also was taking 11 pills a day for various other problems. I had my first heart attack at age 52 and ended up with 4 stents in my heart. I could barely walk.

Now for the good news. After losing 90 pounds due to the tool of a gastric bypass I no long take any insulin. In Europe it is considered a cure. Because I had been diabetic for so long I was given no guarantees and my endocrinologist is THRILLED at my progresss. I now take 1000 mg of Metformin a day any my readings are from 96 in a.m. to around 156 in evenings. My heart meds have been cut in half.

Please attend a seminar on this procedure. It may well be a life saver for you.

Feel free to friend me if you like.

Good luck on your new journey in life. I wish you as much health and happiness as you can have in this life.

:flowerforyou:

Bunny
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was pregnant at age 24. I took pills until I was 36. After that had to go on insulin. I started out with one shot a day and after trying my 5th insulin which was very powerful (HUMIN R U-500- A 5 times concentrated insulin) my endicronologist suggested gastric bypass surgery. At that time I weighed 243lbs and was 58 years old. I was taking 6 shots a day and over 1000 units of insulin a day. I also was taking 11 pills a day for various other problems. I had my first heart attack at age 52 and ended up with 4 stents in my heart. I could barely walk.

Now for the good news. After losing 90 pounds due to the tool of a gastric bypass I no long take any insulin. In Europe it is considered a cure. Because I had been diabetic for so long I was given no guarantees and my endocrinologist is THRILLED at my progresss. I now take 1000 mg of Metformin a day any my readings are from 96 in a.m. to around 156 in evenings. My heart meds have been cut in half.

Please attend a seminar on this procedure. It may well be a life saver for you.

Feel free to friend me if you like.

Good luck on your new journey in life. I wish you as much health and happiness as you can have in this life.

:flowerforyou:

Bunny
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words Bunny. How great for you to come off insulin. Sounds like you had a rough go of it. I am a true type 1 and diagnosed as a child. My body will never produce insulin. I am blessed in that I have zero diabetic complications. I've lost weight before (as you can see by my profile picture) and I can do this again.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!

I have a dear cousin whom I've known since I was 10. She was my best friend when we were growing up (she's a year younger than me) who is also type 1 diabetic, but unfortunately she's never taken care of herself, except for her insulin injections/pump. She lost her eyesight in her 20's, had a kidney transplant later on, and other countless surgeries throughout her life. I'm very sad because as I'm writing this she is in the hospital with no hope of recuperating. Without going into detail, there is nothing more that the doctors can do for her, they have her sedated and are basically waiting for her heart to stop. I've always dreaded the day when I would receive these news, and here I am...waiting.

I Always tell everyone who joins MFP that this is a great website, with lots of support from it's members. People here don't judge you, they listen to you, support you, cheer for you, and give you lots of encouragement.

Welcome, and if you wish, you can add me as a friend.
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your post...I agree we Type ! Diabetics can DO IT.....I pal;n on being as healthy as I can. I have a huge goal to play with my grandkids....someday when I have some:) Plus I want to enjoy retirement. I have a few years til then and know I can do it. I was just diagnosed in Decemeber of 2010 as a type 1. It caught me completely by suprise. So I am a Diabetic on a Mission of Health.