Potassium

Options
How do you meet your potassium goal every day? I don't even come close to where I should be.

Replies

• autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How do you meet your potassium goal every day? I don't even come close to where I should be.

Hey you know what? I don't but I never thought about adding my multi-vitamin on my food tracker! It obviously has so many vitmains in it that I am getting and never accounting for.
    I am taking a Prenatal vitamin since we are trying to concieve. I think I am going to add it today...thanks for bringing this topic up!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Hey you know what? I don't but I never thought about adding my multi-vitamin on my food tracker! It obviously has so many vitmains in it that I am getting and never accounting for.
    I am taking a Prenatal vitamin since we are trying to concieve. I think I am going to add it today...thanks for bringing this topic up!

I know I should take a daily multivitamin and some days I remember, but I don't log it as I want to see how much of my daily requirements are being met by my food intake.

I've heard prenatal vitamins are great for skin, hair, and nails. Good luck on the baby making!!!! :)
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "All of the following foods have potassium values per one cup serving greater than 400 milligrams, and many approach 700 milligrams. Root vegetables including potatoes, beets, parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas are the highest in potassium, and are delicious in roasts: a single baked potato with skin has 700 milligrams of potassium. Melons, peaches, avocados, tomatoes, and bananas are all high in potassium as well, and can be eaten raw, mixed in fruit salads, and included in a variety of dishes. In addition, squash, lentils, and beans have a high potassium content: try roasting squash, or using beans and lentils in a healthy soup. In addition to having high calcium levels, fish and white meat also have high potassium levels along with whole milk, yogurt, and buttermilk. Finally, raw nuts also have a great deal of dietary potassium, usually packing 200 milligrams or more per ounce, and one tablespoon of molasses has almost 300 milligrams."

found that at wisegeek.com

Personally, I eat a banana or 2 a day to boost potassium and get the rest in what I eat throughout the day.
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Beat me to it! I try to eat a lot of beans/lentils and a banana a day, but I'm still low... may just get a multi-vitamin myself. Thanks for the list!
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If I'm planning to exercise a lot in the morning I also start out with a Blueberry Smoothie that I found in Runners World.

1/4 cup Blueberries
    1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
    1 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
    1 Tbsp Quick Oats
    1 Tbsp Molasses
    3/4 Cup Milk

Blenderize the above, and enjoy. Very good for you, the Oats digest slowly so they continue giving energy for a couple of hours. The texture isn't quite as smooth as some smoothies, but it's still tasty. Oh, and the Molasses give a quick boost of potassium.
  • paroxysm
    Options
    I noticed a lot of the foods don't have potassium noted in them-- it's listed as NA or 0 when really they DO indeed have potassium content.

The baby carrots I just ate by brand, listed NA under potassium when baby carrots have approx 78mg potassium for 10med baby carrots (on average). This is just one example, but it has also happened with other things-- how many times have you added the potassium for that homemade soup with spinach (loaded with potassium) and tomatoes (also a nice boost) or the potassium in chicken?

You're probably getting your potassium it's just not reflected because for some reason nobody bothers to add it or is too lazy to look it up =) I keep a separate log because one of my medications depletes my potassium so I'm on a supplement. I have to look up all foods and myfitnesspal rarely has the content accurate/listed.