should I push thru this pain??

Options
OK...I'm from NH and if any of u follow the weather from different regions, u'll know we have been averaging 1 snowstorm every week for the past 5 weeks. I have arthritis in my back, and lemme tell ya, it sux! I take Ibuprofen in the morning, but most days it wears out by the time I get to workout (my daughter's naptime). I can't take too much of it cuz it upsets my belly. So my question is, should I continue with the workouts, or just do some light to moderate stuff and not do too much burning of the calories. I hate slacking off, it makes me feel so bad about not being able to do it, Should I just push thru the pain and hope for the best?? Any thoughts??

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    With it being back pain or any type of serious pain, I would take it easy for a few days and let it rest up.
  • dlangenfeld
    Options
    I would at least walk at a moderate pace. When I walk, it makes my neck and back feel better. Sitting around makes it tense up and hurt more. Just take it slow but keep moving!
  • Lakeside54321
    Options
    My thoughts are to lose at least half the weight you want to lose through nutrition! I believe it should be cutting back on your calorie intake. You will not exercise your weight away with an arthritic back! Get the weight off first, and then go back to your work outs! My opinion! :-)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would definitely discuss this with your doctor and maybe have him/her send you to a physical therapist to show you proper exercises for your back.

However, I am also a strong advocate on improving overall optimal health, that being said, with weight loss, your back should be feeling better, although not cured, as arthritis can not be cured.

I would imagine if something hurts too bad when you are exercising then do not do it. Also maybe you need a lot of core work to help strenghten your back.
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would probably speak to my Doctor about this one! It's a catch 22 - on 1 hand, you need to work out in order to lose the weight and relieve the extra weight on your back, but on the other hand - working out hurts!

You may find it better to look into heart rate training - in order to lose weight, your heart rate doesn't need to be raised too high - if you go higher you enter the cardio area (great for your heart but not optimal fat burning) Have a look on the internet for advice as to what your max heart rate etc should be.

How much weight do you have to lose? Is it possible for you to lose a little weight and relieve your back slightly before getting stuck into training?

You may also like to speak to your Doctor about different kinds of pain/inflamation relief - there's got to be something better than Ibuprofen for you. Also, have you ever looked at alternative therapy? I know it's a bit new age hippy, but I have a friend who swears by accupuncture (she suffers with bells pausy which means one side of her face often drops - as if she's had a stroke) I never believed in accupuncture until I saw the results of just one visit!

I wish you luck :happy:
  • drschida
    Options
    I have lower back pain and what Chiro calls Osteoarthritis...it was horrible on the treadmill or even walking outside. I bought a recumbent bike and it's amazing and causes me no lower back pain. Also, it works on you belly and this along with any other ab exercises that you can manage are great because a strong tummy means less strain on your back. I would not be doing ex that hurts your back more...living in that kind of pain sucks as well as depleats motivation which in time will set you back.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ty everyone for ur advice...unfortunately, I do not have a regular MD yet, cuz the insurance company screwed up my paperwork. I haven't had ins or a reg MD for over 10 years now, and now that I'm supposed to have it, they screw it up 4 me! it was supposed to start Jan 1, 2011, and still nothing yet!