How much Fiber do i need?

Options
I read on a website that on average a person needs 25-35g of fiber daily, but MFP has me set at 14g a day. Why so low? I thought I was doing so well at ALWAYS meeting that 14 goal but now not so much... should I manually up it to 25?

Replies

• kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I read on a website that on average a person needs 25-35g of fiber daily, but MFP has me set at 14g a day. Why so low? I thought I was doing so well at ALWAYS meeting that 14 goal but now not so much... should I manually up it to 25?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Yes, if not more. I'm not sure why MFP is so low.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I've heard 35g is the recommended. I changed mine manually and I reach it or go over for a few most days a week. :flowerforyou:
  • bbright53
    Options
    OK, does anyone have a good way to eat that much fiber in a day? Should I get some sort of suppliment?
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Cedar bark from the back yard?
  • hnlymark
    Options
    The amount must vary based on weight or calories 'cause mine says 21 and I've not changed it. Some good sources? How about:
    Latortilla Factory - Smart & Delicioius Soft Wraps Whole Grain White - One wrap has 13 grams
    Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal - 6 grams per cup
    14 Apple Slices - 4 grams
    Just a few ideas from stuff I eat. Its out there, ya just gotta find it in a form you like! Personally, I would rather get it from "regular" food, but that is just an opinion (I'm no expert or doctor).
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I find a good source of fiber is actually Fiber One products.
    A great snack I found for myself at work is to take a measured cup of Fiber one cerial in baggy (60 calories in half a cup) and just nibble on it during the day. It has a hint (slight) of sweet to it, so it doesn't taste bad at all and while everyone in the office is eating chips and cookies I just nibble on this. It has a little crunch, so it really curbs the munches. Usually I only eat half a cup, but I have the whole cup there just in case.
    Also the Fiber one Bars are GREAT!!!! They have 150 in calories, but very satisfying. I usually will use them as a quick sustitute to eating if I am in a hurry and know I need something to eat. Or if I have a great low caloried salad, but need something with it. I am always over in fiber than what MFP recomends this way, sometimes by a good amount.
    SM
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    OK, does anyone have a good way to eat that much fiber in a day? Should I get some sort of suppliment?

oatmeal, whole grains, beans, fruits, veggies...all the good stuff!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I find a good source of fiber is actually Fiber One products.
    A great snack I found for myself at work is to take a measured cup of Fiber one cerial in baggy (60 calories in half a cup) and just nibble on it during the day. It has a hint (slight) of sweet to it, so it doesn't taste bad at all and while everyone in the office is eating chips and cookies I just nibble on this. It has a little crunch, so it really curbs the munches. Usually I only eat half a cup, but I have the whole cup there just in case.
    Also the Fiber one Bars are GREAT!!!! They have 150 in calories, but very satisfying. I usually will use them as a quick sustitute to eating if I am in a hurry and know I need something to eat. Or if I have a great low caloried salad, but need something with it. I am always over in fiber than what MFP recomends this way, sometimes by a good amount.
    SM

You're right, fiber one cereal is so yummy! I had my first bowl this morning. Tomorrow I am going to try a parfait using yogurt, blueberries and fiber one cereal...... mmmm :flowerforyou: