Polar FT4 HRM Question

Options
Hello and goodmorning,

quick question for anyone who has or has used a polar ft4 HRM.... I just got one this weekend and used it twice now. I love it. It tells me where my heart rate is and how many calories I have burned during my workout.....it is a way different number from what the treadmill/elliptical - so I am hoping this new number of calories burned is more accurate.

Anyways,
When I started using it for the first time, it said my "zone" was between 127- 167. How is this determined? Is it based on my gender, weight etc? I ask because sometimes I do go way over 167 and it says "out of zone". Is this bad to go over? I am not sure what any of this means.......I only remember from highschool that it is good to be "in the zone"....but what about over? Should I change the setting to go from 127-180 to avoid it saying I am not in the zone.

Thank you for your help!!!

Replies

• elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    SAME! I really want to now the answer to this too, thanks for asking :)

E
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Your zone is based on the info you put in there regarding your age, gener, height, weight. I go over my zone as well, but for me it is okay if I am doing an anaerobic interval that lasts 2 minutes, as in a HIIT.

Otherwise, if I am doing basic aerobics, I try to stay in my zone.
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Funnily enough I have this heart rate monitor and asked the same qu when I first used it! You are able to set your own zone that you want to account for (user settings or something) and I looked up my zones for cardio workouts online.........that way I know how long I spent in the cardio zone.

With calories, are you entering your weight etc into the machine before workout? I find my calories massively differ between pressing quick start and manually entering my info into the machine (obvious really when you think about it) and I don't think they are miles apart anymore.........

Hope that helps!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals. there's the fat burning zone and then there's fitness zone.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    its worked on age mainly you sould not go over 220 minus your age. 127 is where you'll start burning fat there'll be a point where that turns in to a cardio work out (thats a good thing) but above 167 will not be doing you any good you should try to stay between 127 and 167 to exercise safely. and keep an eye on your recovery rate too, im starting to recover faster and faster since starting an exercise programme. great to see
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I have an F4. The zone is based on the information you put into it. I would not adjust the settings....there are times when I am hiking up a big hill in the heat, that causes mine to beep at me. Target heart rate has to do with with the "place" where your heart is being exercised but not overworked. That does not mean that every once in awhile going over is harmful. If I could find the manual for the F4 I would give you more specific information. Someone else will probably chime in, but I would not adjust the zone setting. As you become more fit and change your weight, the setting will adjust accordingly.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have the same one and this is a problem I have had. I don't like the little beep to go off when it is too high, it scares me. I have changed mine to 180 but it still beeps a lot. I think the max I have reached is about 197 or maybe just over 200. I don't know if that is just how I am or if I should see a doctor about it to make sure I am not doing some kind of damage. I don't feel dizzy or anything so I don't think it is bad but you never know. I don't like how I go back and it says I was only in the zone for like 15 minutes of a 45 minute workout only because it was too high!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I will toss the disclaimer that many will post....HRMs are still not 100% accurate, blah blah, etc. The zone is determined by age and gender. It is a very standard chart you can find on cardio machines at the gym or at different websites. However, there are different "target zones." Also, being "in the zone" means different things depending on what training you are doing. Distance runners have a different zone than sprinters, who have different zones than swimmers and bikers. Although, multi-discipline exercisers (e.g. bike + run + swim) may have the same "zone" for all 3. To make this easier, here are the basic zones:

1. Healthy Heart - 50-60% of max heart rate. This should be the minimum zone for working out, but has no endurance or strength benefits.
    2. Moderate or Temperate - 60-70% of max HR. This is where you really want to be to start seeing fat burning benefits.
    3. Aerobic - 70-80% max HR. This is where you start burning more. However, your carb and fat burning are at about the same rate. This is where you really start improving endurance.
    4. Anaerobic - 80-90% max HR. This is where you really start burning everything. You also should not sustain the level for long periods of time. The usual recommended is never above an hour. A beginner may not want to sustain this rate for more than short bursts.
    5. Redline - 90%-100% max HR. This zone is for insane burn, but in short bursts. This is the optimal zone for crossfit and interval training. A lot of hardcore interval routines only run about 20 minutes for the whole workout, but at this HR zone you will have intense burns and generally see the highest calorie burn. Although, this rate is not recommended until you have built up endurance.

Here are some final tips. Most of the polar HRMs have a fitness test setting that will more accurately determine your zones. In addition to this, I also recommend manually calculating your zones. Compare the numbers. You may increase or decrease the polar settings if necessary.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, unless you are specifically zone training, I would turn off the beeping for "out of zone."
  • CJWirth09
    CJWirth09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great information. very helpful. Thank you much guys! Apprecaite it as always!! I will do my reasearch and figure out where I want to be with my heart rate.