i failed and i didn't do wrong :(

Options
3 pound weight gain after 2 weeks.
what the hell.
I've never been so surprised... I was just thinking if anything I'd maintain.
But I'm at a loss for words. I'm thinking I need to weight myself more often and see how my body reacts to the food?
I have no idea what to do
all i wanted was to drop 5 more pounds

Replies

• classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Girl time? Too much sodium? Lots of strength training? It could be a ton of different things. Just take a look back over what you've done lately and hopefully you will find your answer.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to goal, the slower it comes off. Also, are you weighing every day? Weight fluctuates on a daily basis and this could be one of those days where it fluctuates up, as another poster said it could be due to high sodium intake. Check your logs and see if your sodium levels were under 2500, under 1500 is even better, but I find it very challenging to keep them low.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If you're not that big to begin with (i.e. already in a healthy weight range) you will see a lot of up and down due to water weight, hormones, etc. I watch my weight fluctuate 3-5 pounds on a daily basis.

You also have to make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories a day.

If you are strength training you will gain some lean muscle mass.

I now weigh myself every morning - but I only log progress. It's amazing to see how often the number changes.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Is your weight gain muscle? how do you look? how do your clothes fit? What are friends saying about you? Go by these, not the scale!
  • lerchfighter
    Options
    When you first start counting calories in addition to working out, it is very common for your body to go through a period of confusion. Your metabolism is trying to figure out what's going on, you're adding muscle but losing fat so your net weight gain is minimal. Try not stepping on a scale for 7-8 weeks and then only weighing in every other week. You can be making great progress that isn't reflected in net weight loss but, rather, body fat percentage and/or body measurements.

Weight scales are great tools in the long run but they can be very demotivating for new dieters in the early going as they paint an inaccurate picture of what is happing. Give your body/metabolism time to adjust and don't think short term. If you stay on your count and exercise program within 4-5 months you be losing weight ahead of your schedule.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    are you using a digital scale? If so, it might be time to change the batteries. My scales were off by 2-3lbs for 2 weeks (i knew bc of the scale at the doc. office), but as soon as I changed the battery it showed me that I had lost weight....just an alternative thought to throw out there :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Is it your TOM? I gain 4-8lbs due to water retention during TOM. Just a thought.

Charmagne
  • AScheif
    AScheif Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what the hell.
    But I'm at a loss for words. I'm thinking I need to weight myself more often and see how my body reacts to the food?

Hey there Nicole! I creeped your profile page and checked out your food diary over the past couple weeks and you seem to be over your sugar intake quite often. Especially when you only have a few more pounds to lose you have to be diligent in not going over on anything....that includes fat, sodium, sugar, etc.....try cutting back on your sugar and sodium in take an see how it goes :happy: Add me as a friend if you need support!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

I had a look at your diary and there are a lot of sugars and carbs... I'd try to eat less bread/granola/cereal bars and fill up on nuts or seeds instead, that way you get plenty of fibre and healthy fats but less sugar, which can be the worst thing when you only have a few pounds to lose!
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

I had a look at your diary and there are a lot of sugars and carbs... I'd try to eat less bread/granola/cereal bars and fill up on nuts or seeds instead, that way you get plenty of fibre and healthy fats but less sugar, which can be the worst thing when you only have a few pounds to lose!

Exactly my thought... I also think eating ''real'' meals would probably help you to shed the last pounds left. A protein source, veggies, etc. Im one who don't believe in bars as a meal substitute.
  • katzplay62
    Options
    It's not always about the scale. Take your measurements. I'm guessing you want to BE smaller/thinner rather than just weigh less. Muscle mass weighs more than fat but occupies lots less space.

Cheers

Kat
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Please remove the word "failed" from your vocab. Your speaking condemnation into your weight lost journey. You've accomplished a lot and those pounds will surely come off eventually. A lot of us gain a little at different times of the month. The above persons gave you some good advice. Think about them and make adjustments if you feel you need to.

Much success to you.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I went through your food journal and you are not netting enough calories. You are netting about 1000 or 4 even less. There were only 2 days you went over.
    If you are working out you need to eat those 1200 calories. You will be build lean muscle and burn fat.
  • 135sb
    135sb Posts: 24
    Options
    what the hell.

I guesstimated my starting weight by using the last time I had weighed in. A month and a half prior to starting..da. Anyway I have been doing great for seven weeks..only I just weighed in Saturday and only saw a 3lb loss:( However, I have loss 31/4 inches off my waist:). I should have weighed in way earlier on in the game so I could have tweeked things a bit. I think that the cardio number in the data base is way off and therefore my calories were off but not enough to have a negative impact but to slow the weight loss. I got on the scale this morning and saw a 2.5 loss:) I think it was foolish of me not to have weighed in sooner. I think a once a week weigh in is helpful.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    you are not failing just need to reevualate what you are consuming!!!! Stay postive!!!! you do not have much to lose the end of the race is always the hardest you can do it!!!!
  • janack
    janack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would weigh yourself every day. I know it helps me for sure. I started out with a goal of 20 lbs and am pretty close to my first goal weight, but I have never been "over weight". My weight loss chart reads like an EKG chart! LOL. It has for sure made me realize that drinking even one night kills my progress. I go up and down but am slowly going down with an average of a little over 1 lb a week. If I was to weigh myself on a weekly basis I might not see the success and get down on myself.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    somebody said the closer you are to the goal, the hardest it is to come off, and I totally agree.

Before finding this site, I had already lost 40 lbs over the past 12 months. My total goal is 60, so I had 20 more to lose when I first started counting according to the site. It was a mini rollercoaster for me too. Lost, gained, lost...finally stabilized and lost 5 in the month. Now I have 15 to go. I am going to assume that I may gain 1 or 2 back before I go down.

I strength train too...a lot...so my body is in a constant flux. I am not sure if I want it to stabilize too much.

In other words, I feel your pain...it happens. Keep the goal in sight and don't worry too much about day to day. The goal if stronger will win out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!