P90X or Insanity?

valeriedent2
valeriedent2 Posts: 154
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
My boyfriend wants to do P90X. I'm thinking Insanity. Can I get some of your opinions on the programs? Pros, cons, what to expect, etc, etc? Thank you!!

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Some people do a hybrid form of it. And I think I'm going to start that myself. It's a good compromise then for you 2:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    P90X will build more muscle but needs some equipment. Insanity focuses on Cardio and only needs your body weight. P90X workouts are 60 min (75 is you do ab ripper x) and there is 1 90 min video (yoga), Insanity workouts are 45 min.

It all depends on what your goals are to decide which one is better. Many MFP users do a hybrid of the 2. They take the strength training from p90x and the cardo from insanity but follow the P90X schedule.
  • I would choose Insanity. More intense and more convenient because no equipment is necessary. You use your body weight. P90X is still a great workout if you have weights and a pull-up bar. Without them, it's almost useless.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    I did Insanity only minus 3 workouts. It was always a challenge. I got a little bored with the recovery week and staying motivated at the very end. I didn't follow the nutrition guide but I lost 5.5 lbs and got some triceps.

I would suggest the Insanity/P90X hybrid for best results. My husband did the full 90 days and he had great results. He lost inches, gained definition, and reached his goal weight. It's a good mix of cardio and strength training which I think are equally important.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Hey!
    I've actually done both. I started with P90X and swear by it. it has a better nutrition guide and a much easier to follow layout in my opinion. I liked Insanity but it doesn't involve any strength training save from some calistetics (sp?) I'm a huge believer in strength training being a big part of your exercise. I'm a fitness instructor and I teach 6 group exercise classes a week so Insanity was way too much cardio for my body to handle but it will definitely kick your butt. I managed to keep up with insanity for a month before i had to stop without seeing any results where with P90X I lost 50lbs.... that being said I was in much worse shape when I did P90X than when I did Insanity. To put my two cents in I would go for P90X, but that's just my experience. Another program you may want to look into is ChaLean Extreme, I've done her program as well and I LOVE it almost as much as P90X. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.