Is there a good weight/strength training video for beginners

Options
I would like to start some strength moves. I do tons of cardio, but very minimal work with weights. I do not have any sort of gym membership, nor do I plan to get one, so that's out - it needs to be something I can do at home. Any recommendations?

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Jari Love's Get Ripped dvd is a great starting point for weight training. She gives lots of pointers on form and the reps aren't too long. She also had other weight training dvds, such as Ripped and Chiseled and Get Ripped to the Core. The first one, Get Ripped is really a great beginners dvd!
    You can check them out on Amazon and I'm sure they're on other websites too!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Power90 or AKA P90---not the same as P90X but made by the same makers.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    hey,
    If you are looking for some good beginner weight training you may want to look into ChaLean Extreme, P90, or Slim in 6 from Beachbody these are full programs that will get you started with proper form and weight selection tips.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. This incorporate weights, cardio and abs, and it has three different work out levels. This is a great way to start incorporating weights into your workout.
  • rache12581
    Options
    I am doing 30 day shred right now & No More Trouble Zones both by Jillian Michaels. I can really see a big difference in the last 4 weeks. I was just looking at Power 90 & I think I might try it next month.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks folks.

I actually have a lot of trouble with 30 Day Shred - I've tried it several times and for some reason I just can't do it. Will those other recommendations trip me up if I can't do Shred?
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. This incorporate weights, cardio and abs, and it has three different work out levels. This is a great way to start incorporating weights into your workout.

I completely agree. This is great for beginners! And it only cost $9 at Walmart.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Beachbody's Slim in 6 - both 'level up,' so as you get more advanced, your workout can become more challenging.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about ordering the Shaping Up With Weights for Dummies. It sounds like a good beginner DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Shaping-Weights-Dummies-Tracy-York/dp/B0006GAORC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I15QY22ZT934UR&colid=1UP86NMNSYHVG
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks.

I actually have a lot of trouble with 30 Day Shred - I've tried it several times and for some reason I just can't do it. Will those other recommendations trip me up if I can't do Shred?

I struggle with this too. But the key is to keep going even if you have to take breaks during it (I know she says you're not suppose to) but it is much better to get through it even if it takes twice as long. If you stick with it, it will get easier.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have any trouble doing the Get Ripped dvd if you can't do the 30 Day Shred. It is purely weight training. No cardio at all. I have both dvds and while I love the Shred, I tend to have issues with my knees if I do it too often. No problem with the lunges and squats in the Get Ripped workout. That's just me-I'm sure everyone is different!
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I found a GREAT video on netflix instant watch(i'm sure the dvd is available too)

The Trainer's Edge, Integrated Strength Training. It has 3 different levels so you can pick which works best, and keep using it. It has a lot of dual exercises so you will do squats and biceps curls at the same time (it is about 40 min). I plan on doing this video at least once a week to keep up with all the cardio I am doing.

I'd love to hear if you like it too!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can always search youtube some will show a flow of moves there may even be some samples on a dvd you can buy later if that is what you prefer. I had went there recently looking for additional tricep moves to go with my 30 Day Shred. Yes its tough but your body will progress. I couldn't do 3 girlie(knee) push ups and now I can do a lot more than 3. ;)
  • bubblie117
    bubblie117 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Such a good post, I've been wondering what videos people liked as well!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's not a video, but it's a book. Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. It focuses on major movements, form, and gives you a routine to follow. It's a proven method for lifting, not a hollywood set DVD, so it won't be pretty, but...it works and helps open that door to securing a sound lifting enviornment and is realistic when it comes to gains and making progress.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Mate.
    get on youtube I reckon.

Your searching for Squats, Deadlifts, Powercleans/clean press, and bench(you can do floor press if no bench at home - thats how i started out. Use dumbells so you dont get crushed haha. And if you have something you can use for pullups/chinups, like a beam in the garage, of somehting. Antyhing really, even some trees are good for this!

Also get into Pushups mate.

Forget bicep curls etc. Just wasting your time.

Any of the above will make you stronger almost immediately if you never do weight trainging. (when i say immediately, I mean you'll get considerably stronger in a month or so! haha)

Just work each major muscle group once a week, and you'll be right.
    use something a 5 x 5 methond (sets of a weight you can only lift 5 or 6 times), when you get to 5 x 5, then go up the following week.
  • mark996
    Options
    Mate.
    get on youtube I reckon.

Your searching for Squats, Deadlifts, Powercleans/clean press, and bench(you can do floor press if no bench at home - thats how i started out. Use dumbells so you dont get crushed haha. And if you have something you can use for pullups/chinups, like a beam in the garage, of somehting. Antyhing really, even some trees are good for this!

Also get into Pushups mate.

Forget bicep curls etc. Just wasting your time.

Any of the above will make you stronger almost immediately if you never do weight trainging. (when i say immediately, I mean you'll get considerably stronger in a month or so! haha)

Just work each major muscle group once a week, and you'll be right.
    use something a 5 x 5 methond (sets of a weight you can only lift 5 or 6 times), when you get to 5 x 5, then go up the following week.

Any 5x5 program is going to be really good. I'm currently running a custom 5x5/6x6 split. Youtube has a lot of great information, but also has a lot of people that think they know what they're doing, always read comments and make sure people aren't calling out a bunch of errors in the video.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah for sure, ther's way more crap than good on there.

search more specifically for PTC frankston videos. Or Crossfit. Someone reputable.

yeah imma big fan of 5 x 5 stuff.

did 5x5 squats this morning! 90kg done. 92.5 next time!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    agree with above

with no equipment at all checkout http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials

However, I would start with the advice above.
  • mark996
    Options
    That's good stuff mideon. I did my 5x5 squats last night after I got off work. 265lbs 5x5, did heavy triples at 315, heavy singles at 365, then did my squat with hold at the bottom, 225 5x2. Definitely got hit with the soreness today.