Working out and sickness

Samana06
Samana06 Posts: 107
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I've read zillions of posts saying from the neck up work out ... What if it is my neck itself? I have strep for the 2nd time this year .. let's hear a sarcastic YAY! Anyway ... how should I work that? Should I go ahead and modify my work out until the antibiotics kick in and my throat's no longer on fire ... or should I just rest until ... you know the rest...
For the 1st 2 or 3 days, I can barely eat anything ... so I'm not sure if I want to burn more calories than I can possibly take in.

Replies

• My policy has always been if I am sick that I do not work out untill I am felling better. You body is fighting off sickness and working out will prolong getting better. You will heal faster with the rest. Then get back to the workout.

Hope you feel better soon.

Patrick
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Do what feels right. If it feels better to not work out a day or 2, then do that. With strep, you should see drastic improvement by the 2nd day of antibiotics.

I generally try to do some easy yoga at the very least, but, if my whole body aches, and my skin is stingy, I will skip that as well.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't have a professional opinion but I would rest, especially if you haven't been eating. Your body needs that energy to heal itself and you'll be taking it from that task if you work out. Give yourself at least as long as it takes for the antibiotics to kick in and maybe a day or two longer depending on how you're feeling. Drink lots of water and if you can make yourself a good fruit/veg smoothie (no added sugar of any kind!) that will feel good on your throat, give you some quality nutrition and help you recover faster. Hope you feel better fast!
  • I've been battling a nasty chest cold. It's the point where I can barely breath with out coughing. I worked out the first day and barely ate anything. I haven't worked out in 4 days and I'm still not eating properly. I have not exercised because I'm not putting enough in my body to burn any more. Listen to your body. It will tell you what to do.
This discussion has been closed.