What is better? Inches or pounds?

Options
I know today is not my weight in day but curiosity got the best of me. I have been doing this for almost a month now and all I have to show for it is 3.5 lousy pounds. I feel terrible. Then for $#!t$ and giggles I decided to measure…yeah not supposed to do that until tomorrow but that damn curiosity…I lost an inch and a half at my smallest waist point, an inch at the belly button line, and an inch on my hips! OK I can now live with 3.5 pounds if I am loosing that many inches. My terrible feeling has gone to a happy place. So what is better? Inches or punds?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I say inches are way better. :happy:
  • sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi,

For me I had to ask myself why I am wanting to loose weight - I want to be a smaller size - which will be more healty long term - I also want to re-learn healthy eating.

So following that line of thought I want to loose inches - the pounds will follow !

Steve
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    inches. By far.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I say inches.

No one ever asks you how much you weigh. But they can tell if you look thinner.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    inches because those inches lost means closer to the smaller size you desire :smile:
  • Randy63
    Options
    I think inches is what is what counts. Muscle weighs more that fat, so the scale might not change much depending on the type of working routing you are performing. Just one guy's opinion.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think inches. Inches always show progress. pounds not so much. You can lose pounds on the scale, but you do not know if its only water weight or fat. of course, you always want to lose fat instead of water. :smile:
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    inches because that means you are loosing inches of fat which means you are becoming healthier
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Inches... because if you are losing inches, you're gaining muscle. and muscle tissue burns more calories at rest than fat. Therefore, if you have more muscle, it's easier to lose more fat! Keep losing those inches!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Definitely inches. If you are putting on muscle you could be losing slow, but getting smaller and shaplier. Isn't that why we do this? To look and feel better? Who gives a crap about the number on the scale. The question is how do you FEEL?
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    inches!
    I started proper gym training a while ago and didn't lose any weight for a couple of months, but was much fitter and stronger. fat was being replaced by muscle hence no weight loss. Only recently I've started combining the exercise with a restricted calorie intake and so have started losing weight too.
    The purpose of working at being healthy is to have a body that works well, to feel good, to reduce the risk of heart disease etc. Your bodyweight isn't necessarily a good indicator of this, but a reduction in your waist size definitely is, good work!
  • KCTC9896
    Options
    Dr. Oz stated that inches are better. You may be the same size as someone but may weight more than the other person because you may have more muscle mass than the other person. My son's doctor also told me that they really don't go by the BMI anymore because of the issue of someone having more muscle mass than another person. The less inches you have off your waist the less chances you have of running into health problems.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Inches! I really noticed a difference when my clothes started fitting better, and then when they got too big.
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the insight...Now I really feel better about this. I feel great and I am smaller what does it matter what the scale says. :o)