I need a weeks worth of meal ideas

Options
Were about to get hit by a huge blizzard and so well be snowed in (with up to 20inches of snow) and we have to run to the grocery store today. I need some suggestions on food ideas since it seems everything else I have posted about, has been nit picked (my rice for instance. apparently there is brown rice. i did not know this. Ground turkey instead of ground beef.)

Can I use ground turkey for the same things I use ground beef on?

I need breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas. I know if I send him to the store without a list hell come back with a lot of prepackaged processed food. he isnt on board with this eating healthy thing. But hell eat whatever I cook. Hes just the lazy type and wont do it for himself

Replies

• dawnslaughter
    Options
    get quorn mince its so low in calories you can make chilli, Bolognese, shepherds pie, anything you would use ground beef for, its only 94 cals per 100g, but contains egg if you have egg allergies its a nono.
    lots of carrots and fresh veg, you can bulk any meal out with veg,
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you definitely can use ground turkey in place of ground beef. I do.

Otherwise, I am on a special program and cannot help you out much.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Get some eggs or egg whites for breakfasts... you can make an egg, tomato, and cheese sandwich on an English muffin. You could also make an omlette with some veggies (onion, peppers, tomatoes, etc) or scrambled eggs on toast.

I'd also get some spinach, you can add it to a sandwich or make a salad for lunch.

Chicken breasts: you could cook them up and use the meat for sandwiches, make a stir fry or a casserole for supper.

Get lots of fruit for snacking, I know when I'm stuck in the house that is what helps me stay on track!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    yes, you can replace ground beef with ground turkey. The flavor is a little different. When I use the ground turkey I put spices, onion, and jalepeno in it to help the flavor some without adding a lot of calories to it.

I don't think I would just eat a turkey burger, but in chili, spaghetti, etc should be just fine.

Keep a lot of frozen veggies (no sodium in frozen instead of cans) on hand and just have smaller servings of the meat and larger servings of the veggies :)
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    get quorn mince its so low in calories you can make chilli, Bolognese, shepherds pie, anything you would use ground beef for, its only 94 cals per 100g, but contains egg if you have egg allergies its a nono.
    lots of carrots and fresh veg, you can bulk any meal out with veg,
    What is quorn mince? I've never heard of it. What section of the store would I find that?
  • SillySarah
    Options
    Were about to get hit by a huge blizzard and so well be snowed in (with up to 20inches of snow) and we have to run to the grocery store today. I need some suggestions on food ideas since it seems everything else I have posted about, has been nit picked (my rice for instance. apparently there is brown rice. i did not know this. Ground turkey instead of ground beef.)

Can I use ground turkey for the same things I use ground beef on?

I need breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas. I know if I send him to the store without a list hell come back with a lot of prepackaged processed food. he isnt on board with this eating healthy thing. But hell eat whatever I cook. Hes just the lazy type and wont do it for himself

Here is a link to a page for some meal ideas you could use. Not sure what types of meals you are currently eating. If your family is accustomed to eating processed foods, these meals may seem a little weird at first. So don't be surprised if you get complaints as their palates may need time to adjust. If anything, just be a god example for healthy eating in your home.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/absdiet/abs-diet-weekly-menu

There are links that give the recipes/ingredients for each dish too. If something sounds really weird or you know your family will not like a dish, you could avoid that dish or add 1 new dish per week until they have adjusted.

You can usually substitute ground turkey in most beef dishes. The flavor is milder IMO. I like to use turkey in place of hamburger for burgers, lasagna, and meatballs. You can mix together 1 part lentils to 2 parts ground beef in dishes that call for ground beef. Just be sure to cook the lentils enough so they are soft and not crunchy. Also, you can use cooked cauliflower mixed into regular mashed potatoes. Most people cannot tell the difference when the veg is mixed into the dish.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    What kind of bread? wheat right?
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground beef... or you can drain and rinse a higher fat content beef for the same calories! It's cheaper that way. I know a lot of people push the ground turkey thing but the nutrition exchange is still very similar. (http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm) Maybe you can use this time stuck indoors to make foods that take more preparation. I enjoy making things like soups in the crock pot ahead of time (sausage tortellini soup, tortilla soup, chili, are my favs. I can send you recipes if you want!). Chicken and long grain wild rice, pork chop and baked potato with a salad, enchiladas, taco salads! There are tons of things you can have that are typical and still healthy. Keep track of portion sizes- that is key.
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is a really yummy recipe I got from someone on this site a few weeks ago! My whole family loved it! You can serve it with some kind of side, but it's really great!!

Parmesan Baked Chicken Breasts

Prep Time: 7 mins
    Cook Time: 26 mins
    Total Time: 33 mins

Ingredients
    1/3 cup(s) bread crumbs, Italian-style
    1/4 cup(s) cheese, Parmesan, grated
    1/4 teaspoon pepper, black 2 clove(s) garlic, pressed
    2 tablespoon oil, olive
    24 ounce(s) chicken breast halves, 4 (6-oz) skinless, boneless breasts
    cooking spray
    1/2 cup(s) spaghetti sauce, fire-roasted tomato-and-garlic pasta sauce (such as Classico), warmed

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large baking sheet in oven for 5 minutes.

3. Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish.

4. Place garlic and oil in a small glass bowl, and microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm and fragrant.

5. Dip chicken in garlic oil; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Coat preheated baking sheet with cooking spray, and place chicken on pan. Coat chicken with cooking spray.

6. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done and golden. Serve with pasta sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons pasta sauce).

Nutritional Info (Per serving):
    Calories: 295
    Saturated Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 388mg
    Dietary Fiber: 0.5g
    Total Fat: 10g
    Carbs: 7g
    Cholesterol: 101mg
    Protein: 41.5g
    Carb Choices: 0.5
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    You can use turkey in place of ground beef. But, when I want something with beef I buy the leanest my store sells which is usually a 93/7 mix. There's lots you could do with either meat

Chili
    1 pound gr beef or turkey
    2 cans chili beans
    1 sm can tomato sauce, no salt added
    2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
    1 small onion diced
    1 bell pepper-any color diced
    1 cup low sodium fat free beef broth, or water--whichever you have
    salt, pepper and chili powder to your liking
    **Brown meat with onions and peppers in large soup pot and drain any fat you may have if you use beef.
    Return meat back to pot and add remaining ingredients.
    Simmer 25-30 minutes
    FYI- If you make this for supper you can have chili dogs for lunch the next day and stretch your dollar a little further

Sloppy joes
    1 pound ground beef or turkey
    1/2 small onion diced
    1/2 bell pepper diced
    3/4 cup ketchup, no salt added
    2 T brown sugar or substitute
    1 T dijon mustard
    1 t cider vinegar--white will also work
    1/2 t cayenne pepper
    **Brown meat with onion and pepper, drain if necessary
    Add remaining ingrediends stir well and simmer 10ish minutes

Taco Soup
    1 pound ground beef or turkey
    1 small onion diced
    2 cans rotel
    2 cans kidney beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 low sodium taco seasoning packet
    1 dry ranch dressing packet
    **Brown meat with onion and drain if necessary
    Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 30 minutes
    I garnish with multigrain tostito chips, fat free sour cream and shredded cheese

Get you a roast some carrots and potatoes and put them in a crock pot with low sodium fat free beef broth and a quartered onion. Cook all day on low

Pulled Pork
    3-4 pound pork roast
    1 large bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
    Cook roast on low in slow cooker all day with salt and pepper with water coming about half way up.
    When cooked, about 8 hours, remove from pot shred with 2 forks and drain any remaining liquid from pot. replace meat and add BBQ sauce. Serve on whole wheat bun

Salsa Chicken
    3-4 chicken breast
    1 jar salsa, whatever brand you like
    1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup
    1 cup sour cream
    1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
    **Place chicken, taco seasoning, soup and salsa in slow cooker and cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
    Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
    Add back to sauce and add sour cream at this time.
    Serve over rice, noodles or with whole wheat tortillas

Good Luck!!
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm thinking I'll be in the same boat :) Here is my plan for the week ...tonight we are having pizza (I'm making one for me with whole wheat crust, chicken, spinach, sun dried tomato), Tuesday - something with ground beef - there is a recipe for kind of a skillet version of cabbage rolls I might try - Wednesday is crock-pot Chicken cacciatore (chicken breast, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, green pepper, tomato sauce, serve with whole wheat pasta), Thursday is tacos (I have a gallon bag of taco meat frozen from last time) I cut my meat in half, add beans, and have mine as a taco salad on a bed of greens, rather than in the shells - Friday we are having a fish fry, which I am mentally preparing for, it has potential to be disasterous - LOL

I have plenty of fresh veggies, turkey for sandwiches, and I'm sure we'll have leftovers for lunches - OR I may make lasagne soup (I LOOOOVE it, and so do my kids)
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This I think is really hard for anyone to do, without knowing exactly what you prefer to eat. I am still using ground beef I just get the leaner ground beef. I am still eating bread but I opted for a lower calorie more fiber wheat or honey bread by Natures Own. I am still using tortillas but I am opting for a low calorie low fat tortilla either wheat or white depending on what one I feel like by a company called La Banderita.

I am trying to make the same food items my family has always eaten, just adjusting the recipes for more healthy ingrediants. So if I would make pork chops instead of buying the bone in one's I buy the centercut or a whole tenderloin and cut it myself. I have stuff left in my cupboards and freezer I have to use up before entirly switching them over but that is my plan. Like pasta, instead of a white pasta buy wheat (quite frankly they cant tell the difference when you add junk on it anyway)

Rice and Ground Turkey I cant seem to get my family to budge yet. They will though :D Its going to take a bit of time. Brown rice is better than white. :)

If you can or I should say when you can, go to the grocery store when you have alot of time and no one picking at you to hurry up. Look at the things you would normally buy, then start reading labels of the items that are a more healthy alternative. You will get a general idea of what you can immediatly change without to much grumbles and what might take a bit of time :) Good Luck :)
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    My husband and I have been using ground turkey in everything for the past 3 yrs. I make turkey burgers with them and they are delicious. I usually add about 1/2c panko bead crumbs to spread it a little bit and some basic spices, oregano, black pepper. We do add some calories by having them on Portuguese sweet rolls, and baked sweet potato fries. We add sliced red onion, low sodium provolone cheese and baby spinach. I put a little ketchup on mine while he adds mustard.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You asked about bread. Make sure the label says WHOLE wheat or WHOLE grain. Many labels say "wheat" but that's just regular old white flour, which is made from wheat.

You can make great homemade chicken tenders. Beat an egg with some low-fat ranch dressing. Dip the raw chicken in the egg and then roll in a mixture of bread crumbs or cornflake crumbs, season salt, and a pinch of grated parmesan cheese.

Homemade soups/stews are really satisfying during a storm and are healthier than canned. Chicken broth + chicken + frozen veggies + garlic and/or italian seasoning + brown rice or whole wheat pasta = fabulous chicken soup.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You can definitely use ground turkey for anything you use ground beef for (low fat meatloaf, tacos, etc.) If you want easy healthy meals buy brown rice wraps or whole wheat tortillas, organic salsa, shredded lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken breasts, turkey cutlets, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, seasonings (like garlic & onion powder), low fat or fat free canned soups, wheat or multi-grain bread, natural peanut butter, oatmeal (for breakfast), Kashi cereals - I like Go Lean (for breakfast), multi-grain or whole wheat english muffins, olive oil spray for oiling pans or spraying on bread to make garlic bread or croutons, bags of salad (I like the Dole varieties). These are just some staples - you can mix and match with these items. For example, you can use the wraps for tacos, burritos, etc. or use them for turkey or veggie wraps at lunch time.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And don't forget the fruits and veggies.
    Carrots, bananas, oranges, etc. make great snacks for you and the kids.

Frozen veggies are a good addition to round out any of your meals with extra nutrition at low calories.
    My kids love carrots cooked in the microwave (or stove top) in orange juice and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    or you can drain and rinse a higher fat content beef for the same calories! It's cheaper that way.
    :huh: OK so I just read this and was like what?? lol I am sure I am not the only one who has never heard of this. Apparently you can do this but it will reduce the flavor of the meat, and might cause clogged drains. I guess if its going in a casserole or something the reduction in flavor doesnt matter. I am going to still try to find the lean on sale and stock up, but this is a good tip if I cant :) Thanks for sharing. You learn something new everyday :happy:
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh, also try supercook.com - it's a site where you can type in what ingredients you have in your house, and it will give you recipes you can make. I've only used it once so far, but thought that was neat for ideas - especially if you're getting to the end and are stuck! I can't promise that they are light recipes, but you can always make some adjustments! Good luck!!!
  • downshifter2000
    downshifter2000 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for burgers, tacos, spaghetti and lasagna.

With the burgers I use the vegetable soup and add feta cheese to the mixture. You can also add some seasonings for added flavor. I love it!

I also copy a recipe for baked fried fish. It looks like its fried but baked.