Working out with a cold or flu?

Options
Do you workout when you have a cold or flu? I woke up with a bug on Sunday and didn't workout at all. I'd like to start again today so I don't fall behind, but don't want to push myself so this bug lasts even longer. I am very congested and have to catch my breath just going up the stairs. I think heavy working out like kickboxing may be out for a few days, but riding a recumbent bike should be OK right? What does everyone else do?

Replies

• johnnyfit00
    Options
    As long as you don't have a fever you can do very light cardio and strength until your congestion reduces. It is better to take it easy for a day or two than stay ill and have negative effects for a longer period of time. Your body can't recover from exercise and fight a bug at the same time...
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Good topic. I had a cold last week and I just kept on doing the sames things. I have heard if your cold is above the neck dont change anything. If its beloew the neck say chest and lungs you need to rest. I always just push thru and I dont use any medication whatsoever and I let my body heal itsself. I hope this helps
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If it's just the sniffly part of a cold, sometimes I will, but anything worse, NO.

My view is, my body needs to spend its energy fighting the invading infection or virus, and rest is the best think I can do for it.
    I do try to be extra-conscious of getting enough water, and, even if I have a pity-brownie (or two!) not to use feeling puny as a license to overeat tremendously
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    take a nice easy walk around the block, just dont over do it.
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Today is the first day that I feel better after being sick for 6 days. I didn't exercise I just watched what I ate. I say use your common sense. Everyone is different.

Feel better soon!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    I'd say do something 'easy' until your chest stops acting up. Nothing is worse than aggravating your chest, it will make you feel awful longer. Like you said, recumbent bike or just going for a walk just to get yourself moving a bit!
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also have a head cold right now (just that though--no fever, etc.) and continued working out. I did notice my lung capacity is limited right now, so I've just been walking vs running and focusing on strength training (my abs hate me right now!).

AND... I've been getting more Vit C and drinking water like it's going out of style! On the plus side, this cold hasn't hit me nearly as hard as they usually do, and I attribute that to my healthy changes :)

If you need to rest, then by all means listen to your body and REST... just be sure to pick-up when you are feeling up to it!
  • ErinJ1981
    Options
    I have a headcold/sinus infection right now. I took some Mucinex D yesterday and it knocked me out, so I didn't do anything yesterday. Today I'm a little better and I plan to just walk at a steady pace on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. Just so I can say that I did something. =)

Hope you feel better!
  • lxspollack
    Options
    I use the "Above the Neck" rule...

If your symptoms are above the neck then it is ok to continue working out. However, if you have any symptoms below the neck (chest congestion, body aches, fever, digestive issues, swollen glands, hacking cough) then take a few days off. Working out with a cold may actually keep your symptoms to a minimum of days. Start your workout slowly not going over 50% of your regular performance intensity and see how you feel. If you feel ok and don't have to stop, gradually add to your intensity but don't go above 80-90% of your norm while you are symptomatic.

You know how you feel and taking a few days off may not be a bad idea if you are really worn down and have been pushing yourself hard. Too, if you are light headed or dizzy, relax and take it easy.

Hope this helps. Feel better soon!

Lexy