HELP, has this happened to you????

Options
I noticed that everytime I do sit ups & any type of leg raises my hips & or lower back pops w/each time I preform one of these exercises. I am wondering if it has anything to do w/my pelvis maybe being shifted during labor??? I did have pretty bad back labor 5 months ago. I used to workout before my son was born & never felt or heard this happen before. Should I be concerned, will this go away on it's own???

Replies

• ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have this too. I tried pilates for the first time this weekend and my hips popped every time I raised my legs. No idea what causes this, but it was very uncomfortable. I did have a baby less than 2 years ago, I hope this is not why!
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    It can take up to a year for your body to go back to normal after having a baby. If you can afford it and can swing it ... I recommend a chiropractor! If you can ... yoga and pilates helped me a lot! It strengthens your core and forces the muscles to help "align" your spine more!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time and I'm a bloke.

I just thought it was old age :frown:
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    Also, everything spreads when you have a baby ... hips, pelvis and what not ...
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had that 'popping', and before I had my daughter too. I've always had a bad lower back but I don't think that this had anything to do with it because it was never painfull, just a little weird. Is it painful for you?
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have that too! Why, I don't know. It is only on one side sometimes though, it's wierd, I agree. Hopefully someone will answer your post that will know. (My son was born almost 4 years ago - he'll be 4 this Friday, but I had a c-section). I think it happened before I was even pregnant. It doesn't hurt though, at times it can be uncomfortable.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    yes!!! it took a full year for my body to go back to normal and stop popping!!!!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Being a man, I've never given birth and this still happens to me. Particularly if I'm laying on my back with my knees up, when I extend my legs and keep them off the floor, my right hip pops. Doesn't really hurt..just feels weird.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and have never had a baby. Mine does this with leg raises. It doesn't hurt but it is certainly uncomfortable and the sounds make my stomach turn lol. Mine pops where my inner thigh and pelvis connect if that makes sense. I go to the chiropractor regularly and he says there is nothing misaligned. If you figure it out, let me know!!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    yep, happens to me.

a few suggestions to try: as another poster said: chiropractor!

If that is out of the question, then Yoga, and maybe the hula-hoop on wii fit, it claims to help realign your pelvis. I would do both of these if a chiropractor is not an option. :smile:
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    a few years ago i experienced the popping thing with leg raises, as a man i can suggest that it may not be pregnancy related. anyway if something doesn't feel right you should probably stop and take advice as suggested in other reponses.
    Instead of sit ups try core drills, far more effective i think (support your weight on your elbows and toes and hold for six seconds, then move on to your side for five seconds etc - google for a proper discription)
  • intimeoflilacs
    Options
    my hips have done this for a long time and i've never had a pregnancy. core strength will help but i've always blamed it on beat up joints from years of Ballet in my teens and early 20's... try several different body adjustments and see if they help. really focus on making sure your lower back is contacting the floor (such that your hips are flat to hte floor too and you're not putting too much arch in your low back) and perhaps try putting your hands or a pillow under your bum when you're doing these exercises.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It happends to mee too..I thought Iwas the only one.
  • skbark
    skbark Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes! I am actually taking physical therapy for this issue. It is sometimes called popping hip syndrome and actually has to do with a muscle group called the iliopsoas, which according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliopsoas is comprised of three muscles, that is attached to your hip bone in the front of your pelvis and runs through your body to attach to the outside of your lower spine.

The physical therapist has been teaching me how to stretch these muscles and strengthen my core and it has really made a huge difference in a short period of time.

My advice is don't let this go too long. It can cause terrible pain if it hasn't gotten to that point already. And, if it goes untreated (stretching and strengthening your core) it will only get worse.

Good luck!
    Sandy
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    might be loose SI joint - that is what was causing mine. Core and glute strengthing helped a lot under direction of my chiro practor.
  • kaddie125
    Options
    This happens to me all the time and I'm a 21 year old university student with no kids. I was told by my doctor that it had to do with my spine and my nerves as well. But that's also because I have issues with my sciatic nerve. But now i'm wondering if the two are separate issues.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Check out my recent forum post.
  • sarahlauren18
    sarahlauren18 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try using a stay ball for crunches.. its ALOT easier on your back. You can get them at Target or Walmart for $19 bucks !
  • rache12581
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I decided to speak to a PT tonight.

Sarah I can't use those exercise balls....I tend to fall off them b/c I'm too clumsy! That's why my sis can't go to the gym w/me she laughs to hard lol