Stop me before I do something that I know is stupid!

Options
So I've been watching what I eat and exercising lightly for the last 3 months. I stay under my calories (even when I'm not logging) and I don't do crazy weight lifting or anything. I measure my portions religiously. Yes, I'm not doing everything I could possibly do... that's because I was making lifestyle changes that I could sustain.

So why is it that I've lost a grand total of 3 lbs in 3 months, with a starting weight of approximately 249 lbs? I know it takes time, and I've been willing to wait, but this is getting ridiculous.

I'm honestly at the point where I'm about to start the only thing that worked for me: starvation. In the summer, I ate 500 or fewer calories a day, and I lost 30 lbs over a 1.5 month period. I felt great. I'd had to stop because otherwise I'd shrink out of my bridesmaid dress, and the moment I started eating normally again I gained back 10 lbs.

Look, I know it's stupid. I know I'll kill my metabolism and any chances I ever had at eating normally. I'm just so frustrated that I'm getting desperate. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor to see if there's anything medical going on (thyroid, maybe) that could be an issue?
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    No family doctor, and I don't believe that walk-in clinics handle this stuff. I do know that my blood pressure and blood sugar are fine from an appointment a little while ago.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would get to a doc, a chiropractor, and possibly a therapist. Rule out the health issues and then go talk this out with someone. Starving yourself to get this fastis no Good!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Also, are you eating enough? I know it sounds counterintuitive, but eating too few calories puts your body in starvation mode and then it holds on to the fat for dear life. Don't give up. Just do a little experimentation until you find what works for you. Starvation diets just screw up your metabolism. As soon as you start eating normal again you'll put the weight back on. Don't do that to yourself ever.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's time to talk to a doctor. You may have to advocate for yourself, especially at a clinic. In my experience, doctors don't like to do anything for you if there's nothing actively "wrong" with you (like a broken arm, heart attack, or stroke).

I think Marcia's right and you may want to play with your calorie intake. Also, you may want to try kicking up your exercise a notch or two. I walk, and that's my main form or exercise. It's easy, free, and I enjoy doing it. I started out slow, and then started added more and more distance. It's easy to get out and walk 15 minutes, and once I'm out there, I usually keep going because it's so nice to be outside. Or hey, maybe you just haven't found the right kind of exercise for you.

Good luck!
  • FLsmilinglady
    Options
    I have read in more than one place that you shouldn't go below the recommended calories daily. From what I read, your body goes into starvation mode and fights to sustain it self. Try to eat the recommended daily allowance. I also know from experience that it matters what types of food you eat. Watch the carbs & fats, but DON"T cut them out completely. I hope that you will be able to get through this and get to your ideal weight. And you are right, this should not be a diet, but a lifestyle change.
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    Well, it's starting to look like I'm S.O.L. I'm honestly considering it now... many thanks to all who offered their ideas :)
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well, it's starting to look like I'm S.O.L. I'm honestly considering it now... many thanks to all who offered their ideas :)
    I hope you are considering going to a doctor and not starving yourself. I agree with marcia, check your calories. I find if I eat less than 1200 calories I don't lose weight. Take care of yourself!

Carrie
  • meaghanls
    Options
    Go vegan! You'll notice differences immediately! =)

You can do it! Believe in yourself.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are SOL. Perhaps in your last diet that was very lo-cal you did slow your metabolism. It will take time to repair that damage. Be proactive about it and get moving. Excercising is a great way to burn cals and boost your metabolism. Walking is good and don't forget to get some weights in there. Muscle burns more cals then regular tissue so building a bit of muscle will up the metabolism and burn fat. Try to avoid sodium and eat natural foods. Sodium causes water retention which could be why the scale won't budge. Unprocessed foods are always best as they don't have all the nasty chemicals and sodium added as preservatives. I still think a trip to a doctor is in order. Thyroid function can really have an impact on weight/metabolism and it's worth getting checked out. A quick trip to the doc can get your labs done which will set you up with a clear picture of where your body is, fitness wise, and what you can do to improve it. I also think vitamins are very important and would recommend at least a good daily vitamin with a calcium. Calcium has been shown to hinder the absorption of fat in the digestive tract and therefore can enhance weightloss. I also am a believer in green tea, magnesium, and a D vitamin. I also take a b-12 supplement once a week.

Don't ever give up. At least the 3 lbs was in the right direction. Expieriment with your calories. Eat every 2-3 hours to keep your body energized and not allow it for one second to think that there is a shortage of food again. Slowly it will come around and let go of the extra pounds. Hang in there, we are here if you need us.