zumba calories

Options
the calorie counter in exercise only gives you ballroom/fast dancing as an option to choose. That says ill burn 407 calories in one hour, but the zumba classes advertise up to 900 calories burned in an hour. anyone know the real answer??

Replies

• sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    You won't know the accurate amount unless you use a HRM.
  • LisaD727
    Options
    It really depends on your height and weight....some people may burn up to 900 calories but that is on the high end. Your best bet is the "how many calories did I burn?" option on the site. My heart rate monitor gives me basically the same answer as this site does so I consider it pretty reliable. :wink:

P.S. I LOOOOOOVE Zumba!!!!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    That 900 calories per hour is what "some" people can burn but I've been taking Zumba for about a year and honestly, it depends on the instructor, music, your height/weight. I am a big girl (5'11 and 204) and I only burned that much at 230. Now I burn about 650-750. Your best bet is to get a heart rate monitor because it is really hard to gage for sure. Good luck and I hope that helps.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    What is an HRM?
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Nevermind I figured it out from the posts. Heart Rate Monitor.
  • jbrittain
    Options
    buy a heart rate monitor. everyone burns differently and even in the same class, it will depend on the level of intensity you bring- in addition to the instructor's workout.
  • mishmush21
    mishmush21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HRM = Heart Rate Monitor :)
  • dominioniwoman
    dominioniwoman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree the HRM will be the most accurate. For my classes I average about 818 calories in an hour but that is based off my heart rate. I entered ZUmba in as a custom exercise. Based on your heart rate and level of activity in the class you should burn anywhere from 400-900 calories in the hour.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I am also a Zumba instructor

THanks
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    What is an HRM?

It is a Heart Rate Monitor. Normally sold as a watch, but others can hook to your chest or arm and it keeps track of the calories you burn during your workouts
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use the aerobic-hi to calculate mine. but it's not accurate. do you have a hrm? that will really let you know. i can burn about 800 in a 60 minute class depending on the instructor
  • mjphipps
    Options
    I just got my HRM Friday and I'm loving it! I got the Mio Motiva Petite and its great!
  • christimc
    Options
    i do zumba and i was looking for that option also....i know for a fact that it depends on how much effort you put into the moves...
    i am gonna guess you would add whatever calories you burn on a treadill going 4-5 mph for 60 minutes and then add a little extra...considering you are moving your arms a lot in zumba as welll....you wouldnt want to overestimate though. so do yourself a favor and understimate by just a little. i heard you burn up to 600 calories. i doubt you'd burn 900 in an hour unless you are doing ALL really fast songs with a crap load of foot movements and jumping. i am guessing 500 calories in an hour for sure. :)
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started using a HRM with my Zumba exercise classes. At first, I was estimating maybe 350 each time but I was blown away with just how much I was burning.

This past week, I tracked it twice with 2 different instructors. The first was 752 calories and the second was 802. This was timed for 1 hour 11 minutes.

It just goes to show that Zumba can burn that much but it also depends on individual, the instructor and how much you get your total body into it. People that just tap their feet to the music and the dance moves aren't going to burn as much as those that get their arms and full body into the motion.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how hard you work and your current weight. The heavier you are the more calories you will burn USUALLY. I've done 30 minutes of Zumba with a HRM and burn about 200 calories. So 900 seems a bit high.
    Heart Rate Monitor = HRM a body bug is kinda the same thing.
  • Sunshin018
    Sunshin018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure your heart rate monitor shows calories burned. The really basic ones just display and record your heart rate. I just got one and love it. It proves what jbrittain stated - I burnt ~400 calories the first time and over 600 calories the second time. It certainly inspires me to make the most of every workout I do, including Zumba. I expect to have a lot more of the 600 calorie variety now that I know what effort I have to exert!
  • christimc
    Options
    i agree with others on here though,everyone burns differently...and it depends on your level of intensity
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    HI!!!

Ive been using a site called Myhealthystatus.com You plug in your weight and chose an activity on the list and it will calculate how many calories you burn... I want to buy a HRM and see which is more accurate..

I can't wait to try ZUMBA!!!
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy (and broke) right now so an HRM is a bit out of the scope of possibility....anyone in the 5'8" 140lb-ish range use one? I'd be curious to know what I'm burning (though I'm sure it varies from person to person even at the same height and weight.)

Right now I log it as 450 for 45 minutes, it's a pretty vigorous class though. Hmmm.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Since I dont have a HRM yet i enter it as aerobics...might not be completly accurate but for now i know it is somewhat close.
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how hard you work and your current weight. The heavier you are the more calories you will burn USUALLY.

That's not always true. I weigh 143.5 lbs and I will burn over 800 or at least close to it every time during an hour class.