Zumba

Options
pkd1
pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
Ok im starting my first zumba class today and i need to know what calories are burned and what do i log it under since i dont have my hrm ?its a 60 minutes class, im 5feet 3 inches tall and weight 146?!?!/1 any help would be appreciated. oh also i already work out 6 days a week if that matters with calories burned

Replies

• JennBunbun
    Options
    I love zumba!! I would put it under high intensity aerobic 60 minutes. Get ready to sweat! Its so fun, I do it at home and the zumba on the wii. :)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I weigh 150 and am 5'2" I usually burn 430 cals for 50 min of Zumba. I usually keep up, but there are a few times I am too uncoordinated for the moves and slow down just a little. Hope this helps!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I log mine as general aerobics but i know that some log it as high impact. There are a lot of discussions on this but this has worked ok for me.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    you should come on over and join the ZUmba crew! You will love it. Plus, we answer lots of questions like yours.

Unfortunately it is impossible to tell how many calories you burn during Zumba unless you have a heart rate monitor. It can be as little as 300 or as many as 1000, depending on how 'hard' you do it..make sense?
  • MissMandeeT
    Options
    What program on the Wii has Zumba. I want to try it!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! I would put it under high intensity aerobic 60 minutes. Get ready to sweat! Its so fun, I do it at home and the zumba on the wii.

I have the wii Zumba i got it for xmas, but i think im going to the wrong part, the into is so slow, i want to get right into the sweating haha, where do you start out at on the wii?
  • clevethin
    Options
    I'm also starting my first Zumba class today! I was planning on logging it as general aerobics. I'd rather underestimate my exercise and over estimate my food than vise-versa.
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    I'm also starting my first Zumba class today! I was planning on logging it as general aerobics. I'd rather underestimate my exercise and over estimate my food than vise-versa.

good thinking. It's frustrating that it can be so hard to log, but it does vary so widely!

If I am having a puny day and do all the moves just 'so so' then my HRM only makes it to 400! But now that I am an instructor and doing all of the moves over the top every time, I regularly get to 900!! So the key is to do everything big and over the top to get the most out of your workout. I would suggest logging about 400-500 calories per hour for moderate effort while you get the learning curve. Then you can up it as you feel yourself getting stronger.
  • crys30
    crys30 Posts: 43
    Options

good thinking. It's frustrating that it can be so hard to log, but it does vary so widely!

If I am having a puny day and do all the moves just 'so so' then my HRM only makes it to 400! But now that I am an instructor and doing all of the moves over the top every time, I regularly get to 900!! So the key is to do everything big and over the top to get the most out of your workout. I would suggest logging about 400-500 calories per hour for moderate effort while you get the learning curve. Then you can up it as you feel yourself getting stronger.

What kind of HRM do you have? I'm trying to find me a good one.
  • SeeCrystal
    Options
    WOW!!! What a calorie burn!! I MOST have this on the wii!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    The one that I use is called the Pulsewear duo. It is cheaper than the polars (about 60 bux) and works just as well, though it does take some reading to set up.

Make sure to get one with a chest strap, and keep in mind that if you are in a class with a lot of others who wear chest straps, it might be worth to get the polar, which has it's own 'channel' so it is less likely to get interference from other's HRMs.