A Rant... By Me

Options

Replies

• manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist just last week recommended the South Beach Diet to me as a way to lose weight and heal my heart. I looked at this skinny as a stick young Asian woman and asked "Have you ever been on a diet, doctor??" She never had. She was just throwing out a theory that sounded good on paper. Having never been on a diet herself, she has no idea what it's like to go through that cycle of failure. I have tried every theory and plan and diet known to man. They do NOT work. Well, sure they work temporarily and you lose some weight, only to gain it all back after you go on to "Phase 2" or "Maintenance" or anything approaching REAL life.

I am not going on any more diets ever again. What I AM doing is making small, smart choices that directly affect the quality and longevity of my life, every single day. I have lost almost 10 pounds in 6 weeks this way, with no help from any diet. Each individual is different though, so you have to do what works best for your kind of life.

I choose to Live-it instead of diet. MFP is making all the difference in my life.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You forgot to mention that all the "brand name" diets, especially the ones with prepackaged food like Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem, exist to make money. They don't teach long-lasting, genuinely healthy habits because that wouldn't be profitable.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!! They will learn the hard way!!
  • trubeauty
    Options
    I agree too, I know someone who was inspired by me to start their weight loss journey but it was full of restrictions. They say I know I will lose weight when I do this....I was thinking of course! But will you keep it off? I do the calorie count not restriction as I have coffee, wine, chocolate and am happy! I know that this is something I can do for the rest of my life!
  • SoonToBeNewTracey
    Options
    AMEN!!!!!

This is your opinion and I absolutely, 100% agree with you! I don't feel that you are being judgemental AT ALL! What it seems like to me, is that you are trying to save people from the failures that you have already encountered!

I am 44 years old, and still when I hear that ad that says "lose 10 lbs in two weeks all while eating whatever you want", somewhere in the back of my mind I am wondering if it's true, even hoping that it's true! The quick fix sounds SO good, even to a grown woman who definitely knows better. HOWEVER, I am trying my best to eat the right foods, get to the gym at least 3 days per week, and lose the weight on my own!

Nothing wrong with imparting your wisdom! I can totally appreciate your approach!! And you did title it "A Rant"....

Good luck to you!!!
    Tracey
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't care what they call it but I do get annoyed with the people that eat less than 1000 calories a day, lose some weight real fast and then plateau or gain it back and then whine about why they aren't still losing. It's no big secret but you have to feed your body or it will shut down eventually! You can't expect it to work forever if you aren't keeping it properly fueled!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    YES! I cringe when I read people asking "Who's on hcg?" and "Which fat burner should I use?"

The answer is always DON'T and NONE.

If you eat less calories than you burn, YOU. WILL. LOSE. WEIGHT.

Simple.

There are no other variations of this rule.

- the end -
  • Denita
    Denita Posts: 28
    Options
    Very well put!!! :happy:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A RANT.

Why the H*** are all these people on here doing "a diet"??? HCG.... South Beach... Atkins.... and whatever other crazy DIET there is in the world that works for a little bit but as soon as you can no longer maintain that lifestyle of not eating like a normal person.... they gain it ALLL BACK plus more!!

This website is about nutrition... EATING NORMALLY AND LOSING WEIGHT! not NOT having to go on some diet that you will ultimately fail at!!

I have done it! I have done south beach... weight watchers... a extreme restricted calorie diet... I didnt need a website because you technically dont have to track food with these (except weight watchers and i just dont like them because you have to pay and all the calculations!). Guess what! With all these things I gained all the weight back as soon as I ate like a normal person again!

There are no miracle cures or quick fixes. Its eating healthy (there's a food pyramid for a reason!) and exercise! Its not going to happen overnight! There might be stalls and breakdowns, but its all a part of the process!

I have to disagree with you.

South Beach and Atkins are very well balanced plans that are LIFESTYLE changes.

Don't judge anyone if you have not walked in their shoes.

We all have a right to be on this site to share our successes and failures with one another regardless of the plan we have chosen as individuals to do. What works for you, does not work for me.

I live by the Paleo standards and my food pyramid looks very different from yours as I see you adhere to the USDA standards that I know are wrong. I have done Atkins in the past and decided to take my eating to another level when I transitioned over to Paleo standards.

Guess what, my eating is normal. Just because you don't see me buying boxed, frozen or packaged items at the grocery store, does not mean that I don't eat normal.

Please stop judging others, as I previously stated - we are all here to support one another, not tear each other down.

I can tell you as a person that has reversed Type 2 Diabetes, simply adhering to the USDA Food Pyramid that has another agenda than making any one of us healthy almost got me to the point of having to take Insulin injections.

So, before you judge the person with PCOS, type 2 Diabetes or some other Endocrine issue that is eating an alternative LIFESTYLE plan than yours (aka Paleo, Atkins, South Beach or HCG) - you need to stop and think about where these plans have a place in some of our lives.

I can tell you that transitioning over to Atkins got me OFF medications, got my blood sugars to NORMAL and maintaining.

When I did the HCG plan last fall, my hormones are now BALANCED AND AT NORMAL RANGES. And for the record, I lost 38 pounds with HCG and have kept it off for nearly 6 months now.

When I was on Atkins, I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 7 years, YES 7 years. Don't tell me that it isn't a lifestyle and that it can't be adhered to for life because it can.

I only gained weight back from being on Atkins because # 1 my thyroid starting acting up from PCOS and #2 I got a little cocky and loose with my eating. Entirely MY FAULT.

Just because you couldn't or don't want to transition YOUR life in this manner doesn't mean that the next person shouldn't or doesn't want to.
  • Grokette
    Options
    YES! I cringe when I read people asking "Who's on hcg?" and "Which fat burner should I use?"

Simple.

- the end -

There are plenty of variations to this rule. People with Endrocrine issues are going to have challenges losing weight with the so-called traditional thinking.

I know, I am living proof of this.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since late Aug. Most of my weight loss happened prior to MFP. I am on maintenance since Oct. This program is the best. So easy and so flexible. But I continue to log on each day and track my foods. I repeat a lot of meals but I will continue to rely on MFP to accurately track my calories in/out each day! Love MFP and the awesome community support.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Simple.

- the end -

There are plenty of variations to this rule. People with Endrocrine issues are going to have challenges losing weight with the so-called traditional thinking.

You are one of the few exceptions. I would estimate at least 95% of the general public could lose weight eating normal, balanced meals and sticking to a normal amount of calories for their age, height, and activity level.

I live by Paleo standards as well, but I do it for my fitness goals. However, simple calorie counting and exercise helped me shed my weight and keep it off for 6 years. I certainly did not need a complex plan or "diet" to get me where I am today.

My motto is, "Keep it real". ;)
  • Grokette
    Options

Simple.

- the end -

You are one of the few exceptions. I would estimate at least 95% of the general public could lose weight eating normal, balanced meals and sticking to a normal amount of calories for their age, height, and activity level.

I live by Paleo standards as well, but I do it for my fitness goals. However, simple calorie counting and exercise helped me shed my weight and keep it off for 6 years. I certainly did not need a complex plan or "diet" to get me where I am today.

My motto is, "Keep it real". ;)

I would estimate that the number is somewhere between 75-80% due to the fact that the number of people with Type 2 Diabetes and Thyroids issues respond well to the eating plans that she is ranting about.

This is a large number of people that would benefit from an alternative eating plan other that what the OP is calling "normal".

Personally, I don't consider allotting calories for grain filled meals to be normal or drinking diet soda.

Normal for me is protein and green veggies, maybe a serving of fruit for dessert. Drinking black coffee, unsweetened teas and drinking water is normal to me.

You are majorly in the minority of people that don't need a structured plan to eat healthy. I am also in that minority, but there are many that are in the majority that do need a structured eating plan, so why place judgement on those that do???

I laughed when I started Atkins because they Atkins way of eating is the way I ate growing up. I went back to my roots so to speak...........
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

Why the H*** are all these people on here doing "a diet"??? HCG.... South Beach... Atkins.... and whatever other crazy DIET there is in the world that works for a little bit but as soon as you can no longer maintain that lifestyle of not eating like a normal person.... they gain it ALLL BACK plus more!!

This website is about nutrition... EATING NORMALLY AND LOSING WEIGHT! not NOT having to go on some diet that you will ultimately fail at!!

I have done it! I have done south beach... weight watchers... a extreme restricted calorie diet... I didnt need a website because you technically dont have to track food with these (except weight watchers and i just dont like them because you have to pay and all the calculations!). Guess what! With all these things I gained all the weight back as soon as I ate like a normal person again!

There are no miracle cures or quick fixes. Its eating healthy (there's a food pyramid for a reason!) and exercise! Its not going to happen overnight! There might be stalls and breakdowns, but its all a part of the process!

We all have a right to be on this site to share our successes and failures with one another regardless of the plan we have chosen as individuals to do. What works for you, does not work for me.

I live by the Paleo standards and my food pyramid looks very different from yours as I see you adhere to the USDA standards that I know are wrong. I have done Atkins in the past and decided to take my eating to another level when I transitioned over to Paleo standards.

Guess what, my eating is normal. Just because you don't see me buying boxed, frozen or packaged items at the grocery store, does not mean that I don't eat normal.

Please stop judging others, as I previously stated - we are all here to support one another, not tear each other down.

I can tell you as a person that has reversed Type 2 Diabetes, simply adhering to the USDA Food Pyramid that has another agenda than making any one of us healthy almost got me to the point of having to take Insulin injections.

So, before you judge the person with PCOS, type 2 Diabetes or some other Endocrine issue that is eating an alternative LIFESTYLE plan than yours (aka Paleo, Atkins, South Beach or HCG) - you need to stop and think about where these plans have a place in some of our lives.

I can tell you that transitioning over to Atkins got me OFF medications, got my blood sugars to NORMAL and maintaining.

When I did the HCG plan last fall, my hormones are now BALANCED AND AT NORMAL RANGES. And for the record, I lost 38 pounds with HCG and have kept it off for nearly 6 months now.

When I was on Atkins, I lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 7 years, YES 7 years. Don't tell me that it isn't a lifestyle and that it can't be adhered to for life because it can.

I only gained weight back from being on Atkins because # 1 my thyroid starting acting up from PCOS and #2 I got a little cocky and loose with my eating. Entirely MY FAULT.

Just because you couldn't or don't want to transition YOUR life in this manner doesn't mean that the next person shouldn't or doesn't want to.

I think the rant was meant for those that choose these diets as a temporary fix to lose some pounds and then once they lose the weight they want, they go back to eating how they did before. So, I agree with the poster 100%! If someone chooses one of these diets as their lifestyle, then more power to them. It's the "quick fix" people that drive us all crazy! :tongue:
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I agree, thanks to following the South Beach diet I have gone from uncontrolled diabetes to someone who is approaching normal blood sugar levels. Granted the first couple of weeks of South Beach were tough, but once I have moved to Phase two the diet is not so restrictive, I pretty much eat what I want.

What I don't do anymore is eat processed carbs, cut out the beer and exercise 4 - 5 times a week. I like the structure which I need to get off these meds and before shooting this method of eating down read the whole book.

MFP helps me keep track so I eat enough food to keep my calories up.

Be positive, if it help it can't be all bad.
  • Grokette
    Options

I think the rant was meant for those that choose these diets as a temporary fix to lose some pounds and then once they lose the weight they want, they go back to eating how they did before. So, I agree with the poster 100%! If someone chooses one of these diets as their lifestyle, then more power to them. It's the "quick fix" people that drive us all crazy! :tongue:

What really throws me off with what the OP says is the part about Atkins, south beach, etc and not eating like a normal person.

I eat meat. I eat eggs. I eat veggies (lots and lots of them), I eat nuts, seeds, berries (when they are in season) and I eat some small amounts of fruit.

What is un-normal about that???? Absolutely NOTHING.

Since I am a huge supporter of low carbing, I don't like the bandwagon people that jump on for a short time and then turn around and say it doesn't work......................I understand that part.

When I see someone ask questions about Paleo eating or Atkins, etc I take the time to say this is how your going to be eating now and in the future................Can you live this way for the remainder of your life?

Some say yes and some say no, at least they are making an informed decision.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    I agree, however I will say that some people need the motivation that comes from the other or the kick start to getting healthier. None of those diets worked for my mom, I watched her for YEARS try it all, I never did "diet" until recent years. Some of those things are just plain crazy to me, but everyone is different.
  • sarasotatim
    Options

WELL SAID!! :)
  • becky4bears
    Options
    If a diet, a diet pill, or any of the other various advertisements that I have seen for weight loss actually worked, then everyone would be skinny. It is definitely a lifestyle change. Either you change your lifestyle to include healthy food choices and exercise, or you will eventually gain back the weight, plus more!! South Beach or Adkins can work..it that is the lifestyle change you commit to. Doing Atkins or South Beach for a few months, then going back to your old habits that made you fat in the first place, is not the solution. I know this from personal experience LOL...only took me 36 years to figure it out ;)
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    To each their own, its none of our business how anyone chooses to lose wt.