Been on MFP for a week and has not lost a single pound.

Options
This is getting extremely frustrating and I changed everything from my eating habits to my exercise and have lost NOTHING in a week.

I no longer drink soda...strictly water. Went from no movement at all to working out at least 4 times a week. I eat salads for lunch instead of McDonald's or Burger King and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Starting to wonder if it is even worth trying anymore or just accepting the fact that I'll always be this size.

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's been a week! You didn't gain it in a week, so give yourself a bit of slack :smile:

Starting exercise will usually always cause a slight gain due to water retention in your muscles.

And eating salads for lunch? You are healthier, that counts for something.

This is a lifestyle change (at least if you want it to work), it doesn't happen overnight.

Keep at it, don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring inches!! That can make a huge difference. Also, it's only one week. You need to give it some more time. It can be frustrating but just remember you're working towards that final goal.
  • danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are very likely bloated from eating salads & drinking water. Weigh yourself again in a few days. I bet you'll see a change. Keep up the good work!
  • gegardner
    Options
    Give it another week! You WILL start to see a difference. Best of all, I;m sure you already have more energy from eating healthier. A healthy life and diet is for life, not just for a few weeks. Also, make sure your salads are not coated in fatening dressings.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    First of all, relax! It's only been one week, sometimes it takes a while for your body to catch up to what it is doing. If you're working out for the first time in a while, it's likely that your muscle are retaining water, which would account for no weight loss. It will go down, just keep eating right and working out and you will see results. If that were not true, this website would not exist. You didn't gain all the weight in one week, so you cannot lose it all in one week.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. It's your first week. Your body could be in shock from the dietary change. Just stick with it. Even The Biggest Loser contestants have these setbacks, and they do nothing but that.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring inches!! That can make a huge difference. Also, it's only one week. You need to give it some more time. It can be frustrating but just remember you're working towards that final goal.

Absolutely ^^^. Measure inches with a tape measure or even how your clothes feel. I see others on her losing 10lbs in their first week, mine was only 2 but my clothes fit so much better. We can't see your diary so it's hard to see what you're eating and whether or not you're eating back your exercise calories.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    You can't give up in only a weeks time. Losing weight takes months, even years. Measure how many inches you are. A lot of times we lose inches before the scale changes. Have patience. You can do this!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    don't give up! It has only been a week!

This is what I have noticed in my group of friends the first week: giving up soda for water, you retain A LOT of water. After the first week or 2, the water weight will drop, and you will see a difference on the scale.

Keep up the good work! Results will come!

By the way, have you taken 'Before' pictures and measurements? If not, I suggest doing that as soon as possible! Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but the inches drop off!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up!!!

Make sure those salands are not covered in fattening dressing or loaded with a bunch of extras that add calories. Watch your sodium, too.
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    don't give up!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Its been a week. You cant give up after a week. It took you longer to put the weight on, it will takes some time to get it off. Let you body adjust to the change and you will see progress.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh Boy! This is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, ok? Give it time.. This really does work, you can see from all the success stories posted in the forums. It will not happen quickly, so just eliminate that thought from your head right now. The goal here is to be healthy. It sounds like you are making good choices. Just stick with it. No cheating. Be honest when you post, and 6 months from now you won't recognize yourself. Join the community forums, find positive influences, make friends with energetic encouraging people, AND return the favor by being encouraging right back. Truth is, it's not easy, but the other side of that coin is that anyone (including you) can do it!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale for awhile and just log your calories and workouts here; you will start to see change but it it takes time. Keep up the good work and don't get derailed and discouraged.
  • MyBeautyIsSkinDeep
    Options
    Iam will Agree with sweebum!!! Heck i needed that today to i see the inches but the weight lost was none this week UUUggg!! we will see next week !! But keep up the good work!! it is a life change it wont happen over night !! but start loving your change in you now !!! :happy:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Seriously? A week? I've been on here 6 months and lost 5lbs...trust me, you'll be fine. Just get into routine, know what your body needs and weigh yourself in a month
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for 30 days consistently. Today I averaged out my work outs and calories and according the my numbers, I "should" be losing about 1.25 lbs per week. However, I've only lost 2.5 lbs if that over the course of the 30 days. BUT my clothes are looser, my watch and ring is swirling on hand and finger and my tire around my midsection is half its original size. While I am frustrated with the fact that I'm not seeing it on the scale, I AM seeing it in other ways.

Sometimes it can take weeks and weeks for it to show on the scale, but if you take some before pics and compare then again in a month or two I bet you will see a difference.

It is nice to see the scale numbers decrease, but at the end of the day if your clothes get too big and you have to buy smaller sizes, what does it matter?!
  • andythorn1969
    Options
    You may well be retaining water due to the exercise that you are doing. This is perfectly normal and may well be the reason that many people don't see a quick change in weight when dieting AND working out.

When your body adjusts to the new regime you might well find that you pee a lot more, and over the next few weeks you will probably see a difference on the scales.

If you are doing muscle work-outs (weight training) you may well be losing fat and gaining muscle - which is no bad thing.

Slowly you get to find out what foods are high in fat and bad stuff (burgers etc) and the foods that you can eat loads of (Fruit and vegetables). If you stick at it for a while this could well change your whole attitude toward food for the better.

Boomshanka

Andy
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    It’s going to be hard…but along with this lifestyle change, you must have patience. Yes I believe that is the hardest part of losing weight.
    Hide that scale and come back to it a month later, you WILL see results!
    Good luck!
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good job on making so many healthy choices this week! Keep it up and I am sure you will start seeing results soon! My first few weeks on here were slow going with the weight, but then all of a sudden I lost 4 lbs last week! Keep drinking a lot of water and maybe try joining a challenge on here if you haven't already, because it will help you build a network of friends on here to keep you accountable. You will see results. You are healthier already!