Office Workouts...

Options
Hey everybody! I have just joined and am looking to lose 30lbs by May 1. I'll be going to the Kentucky Derby fpr the first time ever and want to look fabulous!

I was wondering if any of you know of good mini-workouts to do while sitting at my desk at work? Every little bit helps burn those calories!! =)

Good luck!

Replies

• aimeemaryrose
    Options
    Oooo I'd be interested in this too. I'm trying to lose 21 pounds by April
  • crys30
    crys30 Posts: 43
    Options
    Me too... I work in an office, and I wish I could get something accomplished exercise wise done while I'm here.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You can do pelvic tilts sitting at your desk.

When you use the restroom. choose the large stall and you can do wall pushups or squats.
  • pjhenderson
    Options
    Squats might be an easy thing to do at your desk. I'm always afraid of looking silly. My cubicle is open for everyone else to see. Position your chair so that it won't roll away and do squats that way. Like you're about to sit down but don't actually touch the chair. You could maybe do a few of those each hour, it would be a good break from the computer.
  • Mamaheatherhg
    Options
    Hate to say this SOOO would I. I'm in front of a computer all day on the phones non stop and can't just get up and walk away when I want. HELP ME!
  • fbruehl
    fbruehl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of stretching and toning exercises you can do in your office.

Here are some examples

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

Bicep curls while waiting for files to load, or while listening in on a con-call are easy to accomplish.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Someone on here said there is a peddle machine you can buy for under your desk...

Best thing I would recommend is a lunch time walk!
  • wallin21
    Options
    Hey guys! I've tried the squats (in the bathroom =p) and I will do lunges as I walk down the hallway (no one is watching!!)... thanks for all the tips so far!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    You can always do stairs if they're available. Or sit on a stability ball. Walk at lunch/to lunch also.

I am a Louisvillian....have fun at the Derby. The town is so fun that time of year. Good luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If your bossman will let you, change out your chair for an exercise ball. YouTube has several instructional videos relating to them. Also, Wal Mart sells a bicycle like peddling device that you could easily slide under your desk. If you are into load bearing exercises, stand with your back to the desk, grip the edge behind you,walk your feet out until your elbows are bent to about 90 degrees and raise yourself with your hands, then lower. That's called a dip, you can look up technique on YouTube.
    Desk ergonomics: lead to sedentary actions. Move the staple out of reach, turn the fax so you have to stand to use it. Get up, walk around... hand deliver the memo instead of mailing it.
  • wallin21
    Options
    Just did the dips at my decks, with my chair against the desk for stability... and loved the burn!! Try it out guys! Let's show 'em that girls have have nice guns too! =)
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Hi I go to the gym every other day during lunch for a mile on the elliptical then a mile on the treadmill. But for my office I have a backup plan composed of regular squats, wide leg squats, lunges, side lunges, deadlifts, L-lifts hip extensions, kneeling kickbacks, pelvic tilts and sometimes lying pront 1-leg lifts. Also standing and lying adductors. Maybe stepups or calf raises. Walking or running in place too. I have my own private office though so that makes it easier to close the door and go LOL
  • Minnie308
    Options
    In the mornings, I park in a parking lot and use the farthest space away from the location in which I am headed and always take the stairs instead of the elevator. There are also some good office yoga stretches that you can do in between calls or on your breaks. It truly breaks the day up a bit and I feel so refreshed after doing the stretches. Just pick a couple to do a couple times throughout the day.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    My mind is blanking, but I found a good list of these in Cosmo and they may still be findable online.
  • becky4bears
    Options
    I am an RN and I am on my feet all day. When I am working in the procedure room (colonoscopy and endoscopy hehehe), I do a lot of standing in ONE spot!! I have found that sucking in my gut and focusing on good posture works well. Not only does my back feel better at the end of the day, but I think it is helping my flabby abdomen LOL. I would think you could do the same thing sitting at a desk? sit up straight and suck in that gut :)

2524452.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter[/url
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    In the mornings, I park in a parking lot and use the farthest space away from the location in which I am headed and always take the stairs instead of the elevator. There are also some good office yoga stretches that you can do in between calls or on your breaks. It truly breaks the day up a bit and I feel so refreshed after doing the stretches. Just pick a couple to do a couple times throughout the day.

This reminds me of my mornings. I unlock the gate, race to my parking spot, do a 40 yard dash to the entrance, unlock then relock one door, unlock another door, then sprint about 15 steps to the alarm panel before the siren goes off. Talk about getting the blood flowing!!