Calories left over-Before or after exercising?

Options
Hi, I'm kinda new to this and I have a question. I know there have been posts like this before, but I'm not sure I understand. I eat 1200 calories a day (that is my goal) and I usually exercise off around 500 calories. At the end of the day I usually have 500 calories left. Is this the 500 calories that I should have left in order to lose 1-2 lbs a week? I always get the message that says that I need to eat more to avoid going into starvation mode, so I usually eat a small snack 100-150 calories before bed. I do not like eating right before I go to bed. Can someone tell me if I am on track or if I am doing something wrong?

Thanks-You guys seem to know way more than I do about this.

Melissa

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    Hi, I'm kinda new to this and I have a question. I know there have been posts like this before, but I'm not sure I understand. I eat 1200 calories a day (that is my goal) and I usually exercise off around 500 calories. At the end of the day I usually have 500 calories left. Is this the 500 calories that I should have left in order to lose 1-2 lbs a week? I always get the message that says that I need to eat more to avoid going into starvation mode, so I usually eat a small snack 100-150 calories before bed. I do not like eating right before I go to bed. Can someone tell me if I am on track or if I am doing something wrong?

Thanks-You guys seem to know way more than I do about this.

Melissa
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Hi Melissa! My name is Melissa too!! if i understand it correctly... they have already deducted the 500 calories for you... You should be eating all of the calories that it gives you!
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    There are actually some really helpful posts on this if you explore some of the recent topics! I encourage you to read some of those. I DO know that you should be using up all of the calories allocated in your profile. The site has already taken your daily routine into account and if it is telling you to eat 1200 then it is assuming you are burning about 1700/day. When you work out for, say, 200 calories then you have changed your "burning calories" from 1700 to 1900 and so you need to consume 200 more in food to keep you at the 500 deficit.
    I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    Ok, So even if I exercise I eat all of my calories? I thought it was weird that when you exercised it added those calories to you daily intake. I was wondering how you were supposed to lose weight if you didn't have calories left over. Thanks, Melissa.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Melissa
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    So your daily caloric intake (in my case 1200) is what is listed and you eat that plus whatever calories you burn while exercising? Sorry, I just want to make sure that I am consuming enough.

Thanks again, girls.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    yes that is correct...1200 cal allocated...exercise gives you calories burned which adds them on to your allocated calories....use them....

dd
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your daily goals are with a deficit already calculated in for weight loss. So when you exercise you can eat more and still have a deficit. When you eat all of your calories you are still at a deficit because that is how the site is set up. Eating all of your calories will keep you from going into starvation mode and your body holding onto your fat!
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    That sounds good to me--I won't argue with eating more.:tongue: So can I expect my weight to temporarily increase with my increased caloric intake? I hope not.