Almond Milk?

Options
I see a lot of food diaries that contain almond milk. Does almond milk have the same nutritional value as whole or skim milk? I typically always do skim milk, but it looks like almond milk has about half the calories. What does it taste like? I tried soy milk and didn't like it.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    bump,id like to know
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It's not the same nutritionally as cow's milk, but the taste is a lot better than soy milk, in my opinion. I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't drink milk. Almond milk is my favorite substitute. It's a little sweet, and very tasty. It probably doesn't taste anything like cow's milk, but I'm not sure since I haven't had cow's milk in several years.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I ♥ almond milk, like the above said, has a slight sweet taste to it.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only down side to almond milk is it has about 0.4 grams of protein per serving whereas skim milk and 9 grams. I don't really consider them substitutes for that reason, and I do drink regular and almond milk. Soy milk is a better milk substitute as it is almost as high in protein.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    love it! i'm lactose intolerant, so for me it's the perfect substitute.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great for calcium. I always hated milk so I was always under in calcium until I got on to almond milk. It lacks in some of the other nutrients but it also lacks in antibiotics that they pump the cows full of so consider how much your body absorbs anyways.
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from skim milk to unsweetened almond milk. It lacks in protein but if you're not using it for that reason there is no loss plus it has some nutrients that are missing from milk, less calories, and no sugar. I don't drink it alone because its very thick compared to skim milk (although watering it down would solve this) but I LOVE it in my cereal, scrambled eggs, etc. Basically anything that you use milk in you can use almond milk in. Plus it stays good much longer! They sell it in half gallons. Try it!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I dont have dairy products at all. I drink Chocolate almond milk with my protein shakes. Yummy!
  • joyce_purcell
    Options
    Personally, I did not like almond milk. It was the plain flavor that I tried and I thought it tasted like Play-Doh (not that I have eaten Play-Doh recently). I didn't care for it at all, but I have heard if you buy the flavored kinds they are a little better tasting. My husband likes to use it on his cereal.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Not sure on calories or nutritional value, but to me it tastes like the milk left in your bowl after eating a sugary cereal. I don't think I could drink it like milk, but maybe on cereal or as an ingrediant.
  • manda52
    manda52 Posts: 24
    Options
    My son and I both love it! I find that it is better than soy but it is thick so I just use it in cereal, shakes, etc. I reccomend it. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • wellnesscoachmegg
    wellnesscoachmegg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest plus for drinking Almond milk is typically here in the US soy is GMO. It's really hard to find soy products that aren't genetically modified--and that freaks me out so I stay away from Soy. Also, almond milk is delish! I love it that its in main stream grocery stores now. Also, if I really want to treat myself, I make my own Almond milk. I soak the (raw) almonds overnight, and then drain the liquid in the morning and put them in my vitamix with a few dates. Once blended I strain it through a nutmilk bag. SO DELISH and such a treat. MMMM!
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I found this in MFP food database, svg size 1 cup:

Almond Breeze original unsweetened (my favorite brand)
    Calories 40 Sodium 150 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 180 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 8 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 7 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 10% Calcium 30%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 2%

skim Milk
    Calories 90 Sodium 130 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 420 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 13 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 12 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg
    Vitamin A 10% Calcium 30%
    Vitamin C 2% Iron 0%
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. It's a good source of calcium and vitamin E, amongst other things. I drink it like regular milk, use it on cereal, and bake with it. Can't stand the taste of cow milk anymore - never going back!
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I actually prefer soy milk to almond milk. I use Silk Very Vanilla soy milk and it tastes just like ice cream-no joke. Even my brother who drinks whole milk (gross) is hooked on it which is unfortunate for me because all he eats is cereal and soy milk is not cheap lol.
    I also use it in my protein shake which makes the taste of the shake a little more tolerable.

If you just want to try it out, buy a personal on the run size of almond milk. That way you're not wasting a whole half gallon.

Good luck!
  • marulm
    marulm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use it every day for iced coffee, about 1/4 to 1/3 unsweetened almond milk to 2/3 to 3/4 cold coffee, sweetened with stevia. I get my calcium and feel treated.
  • manda52
    manda52 Posts: 24
    Options
    I use it every day for iced coffee, about 1/4 to 1/3 unsweetened almond milk to 2/3 to 3/4 cold coffee, sweetened with stevia. I get my calcium and feel treated.

Great idea!!!! Thanks!
  • live4something
    live4something Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk as well! I use it mostly for cereal. It does have a sweet taste to it.
  • baby81girl2003
    baby81girl2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's not the same nutritionally as cow's milk, but the taste is a lot better than soy milk, in my opinion. I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't drink milk. Almond milk is my favorite substitute. It's a little sweet, and very tasty. It probably doesn't taste anything like cow's milk, but I'm not sure since I haven't had cow's milk in several years.

Exactly. Also lactose intolerant. I love almond milk, and soy milk. I get the vanilla flavored and I like it on cereal much better then I ever liked cows milk.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk...except for cereal I still use regular 1% organic milk, but for EVERYTHING else (and I mean everything) the almond milk is so great! It tastes good, it comes in sweetened and unsweetened varieties (I buy sweetened) You can use it in tons of recipes...I put it in pancakes, cornbread, oatmeal, cakes, hot cocoa, rice pudding. You just may not want to use the vanilla version for savory dishes like mashed potaoes or mac n cheese.