Taking Advice (Strength Training)

Options
I've read much advice lately in here about strength training and decided I should take it BEFORE I plateau. So, I started by taking a four day break from training (just couldn't bring myself to take off more than that). I started back working out today with a modified routine based on several recommendations. I have split my upper body routine into two days (thirty minutes each) with chest / triceps on one day and back / biceps the next. I am also going to add a third day for legs (knees be damned). Two three day cycles a week and Sunday off. Oh, and I am still doing three sets of some type of core training each workout (just don't want to give that up...stubborn). Today I did my chest / triceps and found I was unable to complete my military press reps on the second and third sets at my previous weight (this was my last exercise of the day). I don't yet know if this is due to the triceps intensive workout or the break.
BTW, thanks to all you mfp's who post your wisdom on these boards...I've been successfully losing weight since joining mfp and I feel much better about taking advice from people out there actually fighting the good fight, as apposed to "experts" spouting advice based on whichever product they happen to be selling at the time!

Replies

• hnlymark
    Options
    I've read much advice lately in here about strength training and decided I should take it BEFORE I plateau. So, I started by taking a four day break from training (just couldn't bring myself to take off more than that). I started back working out today with a modified routine based on several recommendations. I have split my upper body routine into two days (thirty minutes each) with chest / triceps on one day and back / biceps the next. I am also going to add a third day for legs (knees be damned). Two three day cycles a week and Sunday off. Oh, and I am still doing three sets of some type of core training each workout (just don't want to give that up...stubborn). Today I did my chest / triceps and found I was unable to complete my military press reps on the second and third sets at my previous weight (this was my last exercise of the day). I don't yet know if this is due to the triceps intensive workout or the break.
    BTW, thanks to all you mfp's who post your wisdom on these boards...I've been successfully losing weight since joining mfp and I feel much better about taking advice from people out there actually fighting the good fight, as apposed to "experts" spouting advice based on whichever product they happen to be selling at the time!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey, that split sounds great! Don't worry about the military press going down-- that's from your shoulders and triceps being fatigued from all the pushing you're doing. Fatigue is a GOOD thing though...if we never fatigue our muscles, they never change. After a short break like that, if you eat right, you'll come back stronger. It can take 48 hours for a muscle to be completely repaired, which is why we can stagnate after lifting for too long without a break; our bodies just can't keep up with the demands and adaptations needed to improve. Good luck!
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    just remember for strength and size in yours arms. less is better.. you dont need alot of sets and reps if your working multiple body parts like chest and tri's. i work chest and arms day 1 legs day 2 and shoulders and back day 3. then 2 off. since backing off on arms and just doing 6 sets for bi's and tri's with three exercises apeice they have exploded. good luck.
  • hnlymark
    Options
    That much down time scares me. I am always afraid I will go backwards when I take a break. Do you guys (and gals!) do any cardio or something on your days off? BTW, my routine today consisted of three sets each at six to eight reps of bench press, triceps press (?), pullover (?), inclined dumbell press, and military press followed up by three sets of 75 flutter kicks. Does that sound excessive on the triceps, or is this within reason?
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We have the same routine :smile: The only difference is I do shoulder with chest and tris.
    I didn't see where you do shoulders?

Just remember to always do the larger muscle groups first. For example Chest, tris, then shoulders.

As far as not being able to finish your reps, lower your weights...it's okay to do this just to get your reps in!

My husband use to be a personal trainer! Granted all trainers have there own ways, but he does have some good advice that makes since. He's also in INCREDIBLE shape for being 49 LOL!
    Kel~ :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    We have the same routine :smile: The only difference is I do shoulder with chest and tris.

Just remember to always do the larger muscle groups first. For example Chest, tris, then shoulders.

As far as not being able to finish your reps, lower your weights...it's okay to do this just to get your reps in!

My husband use to be a personal trainer! Granted all trainers have there own ways, but he does have some good advice that makes since. He's also in INCREDIBLE shape for being 49 LOL!

He's doing military press...that's a shoulder exercise, plus all the pushing will working anterior delts a ton. I personally am of a different school of thought from lowering the weight to do the reps though...since we *want* fatigue, there's really no reason in lowering the weight just to get more reps in. We'd still need to reach fatigue, it'd just take longer that way. For some reason physiology never changes but I don't know two trainers who have the same doctrine. :laugh:
  • nichols
    Options
    not much specific for tri's in there but i bet your chest was cooked :smile: i would move the military press to your shoulder day. its a major shoulder exercise. and add in some french curls, nose breakers or floor presses for your tri's. maybe alternate some isolation cable work or ropes. by the way pull overs are great for widening the chest. dont see many people doing them. great job.
  • hnlymark
    Options

He's doing military press...that's a shoulder exercise, plus all the pushing will working anterior delts a ton. I personally am of a different school of thought from lowering the weight to do the reps though...since we *want* fatigue, there's really no reason in lowering the weight just to get more reps in. We'd still need to reach fatigue, it'd just take longer that way. For some reason physiology never changes but I don't know two trainers who have the same doctrine. :laugh:

Yeah, I didn't mention shoulders. They are pretty much rolled in with my chest / tricep routine. I don't do any shoulder specific exercises since my chest / triceps workout hits my shoulders so hard. And, actually, my bent over rows on my back day seem to affect my shoulders as well.
    As far as the reps go, I agree with both of you. Since my reps on that particular exercise were already really low at 6 per set, and I only managed 6, 5, and 3, I will probably drop down to 90 or 95 lbs. If my reps had been above 6, I probably would have stayed at that weight.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    not much specific for tri's in there but i bet your chest was cooked :smile: i would move the military press to your shoulder day. its a major shoulder exercise. and add in some french curls, nose breakers or floor presses for your tri's. maybe alternate some isolation cable work or ropes. by the way pull overs are great for widening the chest. dont see many people doing them. great job.

Triceps look fine to me compared to the other exercises...they're a much smaller muscle group than pecs. He does two chest exercises, one tricep, and one shoulder. It doesn't look like he has a shoulder day, but I'd add something like reverse flys to work the posterior delts (back of shoulders). Ant and medial delts are worked enough through all the pushing and military press. Pullovers really aren't a chest exercise...those will work the serratus (muscles over the ribs) but pretty much leave the pecs out since you're pulling down rather than pushing out. They're still good though, I do them, there's not much else that makes your serratus come out.
  • hnlymark
    Options

I wasn't sure that's what they were called, but, yeah, pullovers are an awesome chest exercise. I lay on the floor and use an EZ bar gripped in the middle with 70 lbs on it. I bring it all the way over to my waste and back again and changing directions at the waste is wicked (feel it in shoulders too)!
    My problem is, all my press work hits my triceps hard. When I finished that routine my chest, shoulders, and triceps were all pretty much done in.
  • BBCoachKel72
    Options

LOL! I must of over looked the military press. I was just looking at the routine I guess? :tongue:
    I agree with reaching fatigue, but my personal thought are it's okay to drop your weight a little bit on your last or extra sets. That isn't anything my husband told me LOL! He's actually crazy about increasing weight...give me a break I'm a girl! Ha! Ha! I won't tell you what he really tells me...okay I will!
    He said, he wants to see my F*%*$ face...WHAT THE!!!! LMAO!!!! Sorry if that offended anyone! :embarassed:
    Actually another trainer at my old gym suggested that years ago! :bigsmile:
  • nichols
    Options
    you know i say if your routine works for u and your getting results run with it. the good thing is every one has there own routines with the same goals in mind. i do pull overs with a dumbell. i lay with my upper back and shoulders laying across a bench and then bring the dumbell from the floor over my head to mid chest then back again for reps. really stretches. keep up the great job and good luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

LOL! I must of over looked the military press. I was just looking at the routine I guess? :tongue:
    I agree with reaching fatigue, but my personal thought are it's okay to drop your weight a little bit on your last or extra sets. That isn't anything my husband told me LOL! He's actually crazy about increasing weight...give me a break I'm a girl! Ha! Ha! I won't tell you what he really tells me...okay I will!
    He said, he wants to see my F*%*$ face...WHAT THE!!!! LMAO!!!! Sorry if that offended anyone! :embarassed:

Well you can do drop sets, but when you do that you don't rest or purposely lower a weight before starting the last set...you'd reach failure first, then drop down 5lbs and reach failure again. But you wouldn't want to do that before reaching failure or you're just making it easier. LOL that's hilarious he says that!! But I know I probably make funny faces, and I definitely make noises haha...oh well, lets people know I'm working hard! :tongue:
  • hnlymark
    Options

Well you can do drop sets, but when you do that you don't rest or purposely lower a weight before starting the last set...you'd reach failure first, then drop down 5lbs and reach failure again. But you wouldn't want to do that before reaching failure or you're just making it easier. LOL that's hilarious he says that!! But I know I probably make funny faces, and I definitely make noises haha...oh well, lets people know I'm working hard! :tongue:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "Show me your war face..." Check out the faces this dude makes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6IroYcyEI
  • BBCoachKel72
    Options

Oh I definitely made some funny faces and nose. The other day I was doing leg extensions and I swear to go I squealed! LMAO! :laugh:
    Granted I don't workout with weights like I use to. I totally understand what you are saying about the drop sets. I am more less just looking to tone anymore.
    I use to lift so hard and heavy a few years back I gave my self two umbilical hernia's. I'm sick of being cut on LOL! :tongue: I work in surgery and I get tortured by my co-works when I'm under hhaha! :laugh:
    Guess I shouldn't be one to give a guy advice about lifting! LOL! Hell or anyone! It was just my piece!
    Kelly :smile:
  • BBCoachKel72
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "Show me your war face..." Check out the faces this dude makes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my6IroYcyEI

OMG It was the "young" Arnold....our Governor of California! I bet he wishes he looked like that again!
    Did you see his recent pic in the speedo....NO ARNOLD!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE SPEEDO!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Oh I definitely made some funny faces and nose. The other day I was doing leg extensions and I swear to go I squealed! LMAO! :laugh:
    Granted I don't workout with weights like I use to. I totally understand what you are saying about the drop sets. I am more less just looking to tone anymore.
    I use to lift so hard and heavy a few years back I gave my self two umbilical hernia's. I'm sick of being cut on LOL! :tongue: I work in surgery and I get tortured by my co-works when I'm under hhaha! :laugh:
    Guess I shouldn't be one to give a guy advice about lifting! LOL! Hell or anyone! It was just my piece!

Eek! :noway: I wouldn't do heavy lifting after that either!! Props to you for lifting at all, I'd probably have a phobia after that! And in your position I'd be worried I'd wake up from surgery with a Sharpie mustache or something :huh:
  • BBCoachKel72
    Options

Eek! :noway: I wouldn't do heavy lifting after that either!! Props to you for lifting at all, I'd probably have a phobia after that! And in your position I'd be worried I'd wake up from surgery with a Sharpie mustache or something :huh:

My doctor pretty much fixed me up good this last time, but ya I get freaked out about it from time to time!
    I've definitely put the repair to the test a few times this past year! :happy:
    OK so I am a HUGE Oakland A's fan and my good friend/Rn that is a HUGE SF Giants fan, painted my nails orange and black, put a blinking Giants hat on me and took pictures while I was still out of it! Nothing compared to what they did to my hubby LOL! He has real tats, so they decided to put fake kid tats all over him, wrote Kelly's b!#(h and happy trails on his lower abs with arrow pointing down, in sharpy ink! It was so funny! :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

My doctor pretty much fixed me up good this last time, but ya I get freaked out about it from time to time!
    I've definitely put the repair to the test a few times this past year! :happy:
    OK so I am a HUGE Oakland A's fan and my good friend/Rn that is a HUGE SF Giants fan, painted my nails orange and black, put a blinking Giants hat on me and took pictures while I was still out of it! Nothing compared to what they did to my hubby LOL! He has real tats, so they decided to put fake kid tats all over him, wrote Kelly's b!#(h and happy trails on his lower abs with arrow pointing down, in sharpy ink! It was so funny! :laugh:

OMG BWAHAHAHAHAH

:laugh: :laugh:

I didn't think you were serious! That is TOO funny!