Protein Powders

Options
lklein
lklein Posts: 215 Member
So I’ve recently been looking into purchasing protein power to add to my fruit smoothies, and I’m lost. I have no idea what I should be looking for, and there are just so many different kinds! I’ve tried to do some research, but there is just way to much out there and I feel most of the info is coming from the company who produce the stuff. I’m kind of intimidated by the stuff because it seems there is a picture of some body builder everywhere I look, and that’s not the look I’m going for.:noway: I just want something to make a shake with or add to my smoothies. Please help.

Replies

• brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I really like the be-buff from GNC. It's more than just a protein powder. It has really helped my hair and nails! Also tastes better than others I've tried. I really like it in smoothie form with Yoplait's frozen fruit smoothie packets.

Hope that helps some! :flowerforyou:
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, double chocolate flavor. It has 24 grams of protein in 1 serving, and low sugar and fat. The taste is pretty good too, as I only mix with water. The Vanilla flavor is also decent.

I buy it on amazon using "subscribe and save". It knocks the price down by 15% when you pick that option.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296502931&sr=8-1
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, protein powder isn't going to turn you into the next hulk. Promise. What type of protein powder you should get really depends on what you are going for. I make a protein shake for after I work out, so i get 100% Whey Protein, since Whey breaks down and is absorbed by muscles the quickest. That makes it the best for after you work out. Whatever protein type you get, make sure to get something that is just the protein powder, and not promising you some super awesome formula to help you get in even better shape. Those powders are often filled with carbs and other crap. I use GNC 100% Whey Powder, since it's pretty much just the protein.
  • DavidPeugh
    Options
    This is my morning protein shake:

Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 0.5 cup
    Great Value - Blue Berries-Frozen, 1 Cup
    Fresh - Banana, 4 oz
    EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate , 1 Scoop (30g)

I used to use the Slim Fast Protein powder but found that EAS had less cal and more protein. It actually tastes like chocolate!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did my research when I first started and I am completely happy with ON's (optimal Nutritions) It is low in calories and contains 24g of protein per serving. Both Vitamin Shoppe and GNC also recommend ON's.

FYI cheapest place to buy ON's is vitamin shoppe, its like $43 something in store for 5lbs, but tell them to ring you up for the online price which is $41.21.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients is the best advice that can be given. Also, not to promote other websites or advertisements, but there is a "bodybuilding" site that will provide you with more information in addition to GNC.

I currently use EAS, but have used others. I like taking protein and ingest about 125-150 per day, but that is because I am strength training in addition to watching what I am eating. For me this has been a total transformation.

The first one you try may not be the one you like because of taste, consistency, price, etc. But don't give up on them.
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    Well really any brand is ok you just need to understand the different types of protein and why you are using it. I am personally trying to lose weight so I use Casein protein (gold standard) because it is a long lasting protein. I am able to drink and it lasts me a bit longer than a whey. Its also only 120 calories for a heaping scoop. Whey is a short acting protein which is really good for pre/post work outs. They also make blends that contain various types of protein so that you have the benefit of a short acting and long acting protein.

Just remember, just because its protein doesn't make it any better than the other calories ingested. At the end of the day the protein still perceived as excess calories to your body if you have too much.

good luck!

and a side note....some can have lots of sugar which isn't good for glycemic control. Bad glycemic control = more of an appetite and crash n burn after a bit after you drink it
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I did my research I looked for a low carb and low sugar product. Designer Whey from Trader Joes fit the bill.
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did my research when I first started and I am completely happy with ON's (optimal Nutritions) It is low in calories and contains 24g of protein per serving. Both Vitamin Shoppe and GNC also recommend ON's.

FYI cheapest place to buy ON's is vitamin shoppe, its like $43 something in store for 5lbs, but tell them to ring you up for the online price which is $41.21.

...and another quick FYI, and adding on to my last post:

Using subcribe and save on amazon.com will bring the price down to around $35. I will take the extra $6 every few months, haha! You can also change the frequency or cancel shipments anytime. It's a really nice option, imo.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried much protein powders but the one i am on now is
    Whole Foods Whey Soy Protein Powder - vanilla flavor
    I make it with a glass of skim milk and coffee creamer. It not the greatest taste but i it does get me through my p90x strict workout schedule. Honestly from what i have heard, all protein powder taste yucky. It really depends on what you put in it with.