300 pounds and P90X

Options
Hello. My friend has the P90x program and is going to give it to me. I am currently at 300 pounds, with no health issues other than my weight. Do you think I will be able to do the program? I know I won't be able to keep up at first. Is there anyone else out there who was my size starting out on P90x?

Thanks
ALisha

Replies

• 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    of course you can do it... why not? as you said you might not be able to keep up but as long as you are giving it 110% and making an effort you will see results..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is a fit test and it is suggested you be able to pass that first. If not you can start with Power 90, the prequel to P90X
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yea i started p90x and i weighed 330 lbs it is rough ,just stick with it and it does get easier just set your mind at the result that you will be happy at the end with smiles that hurt .
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'd venture to say you'd have to modify a lot, but that's ok Tony shows you how to modify everything. Given your weight I'd probably stay away from Plyo. It's high impact, and can be tough on the knees. I agree with erickirb though, I'd start with Power 90.
  • RedDAPS
    Options
    Good to know about the fit test. I do love Tony Horton and think of his saying frequently "do your best and forget the rest". I re-started my exercise program last year, after a 10 year 'rest', with Tony's 10 minute program. Congrats on thinking about such a great program!!!
  • lcorbett25
    lcorbett25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the P90X will work just like the previous post stated. But I believe you should find an exercise that you would enjoy more so that you will stick with it. There are several DVD workouts that will allow you to work up to the P90X level. I just started using my son's xbox Kinect and it has been fun. Sometimes I do a workout with it and sometimes I play an active game with my son. I think the most important thing is to do something fun. Good Luck!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You will be able to do some of it. There are some really hard exercizes though and I don't think it would be the ideal workout for you to start with. It would be better to try something easier IMO but no one can tell you what to do.

There is a lot of pullups, pushups, squats, jumping etc involved in this program. I think the 30 day shred may be more appropriate for you but you can always try it out and see how it goes.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I say anyone can do it, even when they fail the fitness test. Now, I'm guessing based on your weight you haven't work out in a while. My biggest advice to you is, if you're going to do it, make sure to drink lots of water during the day not only for your muscles but for your joints too. Do your best always, learn what's your limit. P90X was not designed for beginners, so if you're only capable of doing 15-20-30 minutes is ok, because you did your best, eventually your body will become stronger and you'll do more and more.

You won't be the first person doing P90X with your weight, but if you stick with it and do more than one round, by the end of your journey you'll not only be glad to have done it, but also your life style will change for the better :)

Good luck with it and if you sign up with the BeachBody community (free) make sure to read thru their forum and pick a good coach. Trust me, a lot of coaches can help but not all of them will have enough knowledge and experience to guide you thru your transformation process and keep your encourage to finish your workouts :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance, check out Nubyia on youtube doing P90X. She and her best friend did P90X AND Insanity. I would say that Nubyia was 300 when she first started the X. She will show you how she modified her moves. She even did some push ups against the wall and on her knees. She's a powerhouse.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Great thanks!!!

If you get a chance, check out Nubyia on youtube doing P90X. She and her best friend did P90X AND Insanity. I would say that Nubyia was 300 when she first started the X. She will show you how she modified her moves. She even did some push ups against the wall and on her knees. She's a powerhouse.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to do the Lean version (see booklet that comes with DVDs). It's supposed to burn more fat than the Classic, and more importantly, it's lower impact. I'm on my 3rd week, and I chose the Lean because I've got a foot injury I have to tape daily. You'll be fine, it's only half as scary as people try to make it sound. Promise ;)
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    My only suggestion would be to do the Lean version (see booklet that comes with DVDs). It's supposed to burn more fat than the Classic, and more importantly, it's lower impact. I'm on my 3rd week, and I chose the Lean because I've got a foot injury I have to tape daily. You'll be fine, it's only half as scary as people try to make it sound. Promise ;)
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah you can do it! Start slow, you don't have to do everything they do, or have perfect form like they do. I had a lot of dang fun on it, my wife did it with me and she went from couch potatoe to a lifter now. Some try to make it seem like some elite boot camp workout, but it's all subjective. If you can only do 2 pushups or 5 sit ups during that part of the DVD, awesome! Next week when you're doing that session, aim for 1 or 2 more. Progress is what counts. Give it a shot.
  • FlabULessFoodie
    FlabULessFoodie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello. My friend has the P90x program and is going to give it to me. I am currently at 300 pounds, with no health issues other than my weight. Do you think I will be able to do the program? I know I won't be able to keep up at first. Is there anyone else out there who was my size starting out on P90x?

Thanks
    ALisha

Maybe try P90.