Eggplant Recipes

Options
Does anyone have a tasty, easy eggplant recipe?

I got an eggplant in my weekly produce delivery, but I have no clue what to do with it. I've tried to find some recipes on-line and have gotten a little overwhelmed - should I peel it or not peel it? Do I use salt or no? A lot of recipes call for "frying" it, but that doesn't seem very healthy...

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    No Salt!
    Keep it peeled!
    Dice into chunks!
    Roast them!
    Mix them into a tomato pasta sauce!
    Serve on top of pasta!

Or...
    Stuff them with cous cous and roast in oven :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You can peel it, cube it, coat in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast it at 400 for about 20 minutes.........yum!
  • brynmatisse
    brynmatisse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slice them, grill them, and cover with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic and Basil. So good!
  • swashbucklingsally
    Options
    Make babaghanouj! You can find a ton of healthy recipes for it online. Or I like to just cut it up with skin on and make a veggie stir fry over quinoa or brown rice too! It's also really yummy to slice it diagonally in thin slivers coat it in egg replacer/egg (whatever you would use normally to make bread crumbs stick )and then coat it with whole grain (not enriched white wheat!!) bread crumbs or panko and bake in a pan that is sprayed with oil. And then top it with marinara sauce! It's so yummy =) Similar to eggplant parma but without the cheese!
  • nikapp13
    Options
    I use mine in Spaghetti Bolognese (just dice it up and add it to the sauce) or i add sliced layers of it to lasagne on top of the pasta sheets.

If a recipe calls for frying it i normally lightly salt it and then fry in the Lo cal Light oil spray....that way it doesnt get greasy!

Id never had it before and neither had my kids until last november --- now i buy it nearly every week!
  • angelah100
    Options
    Peel it, then cut into 1/2" slices (long way or round slices, doesn't matter). Sprinkle with salt on both sides of each slice and let it sit for 30 minutes, wipe the salt and 'sweat' off with a paper towel. Stick in a ziploc bag with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar (may need more depending on size of eggplant, make sure it's coated with balsamic, the oil will be asborbed quickly, you can add more oil but it adds more calories). Let it sit for 30 minutes at least, then grill or broil until soft.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    The above roasted eggplant recipe is fabo (I can just eat it plain.. so flavorful)... and this is too.

Eggplant & Pepper App

3 long, hot banana peepers, or 1-2 jalepenos
    2 large eggplants
    ½ c evoo
    1 large onion, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 TB lemon juice
    1 TB red wine vinegar
    Sea salt/pepper to taste :)
  • Renaissant23
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You make it sound really easy :) I've been roasting alot of root veggies this winter and it sounds like I can take that technique (peel, olive oil, herbs/garlic) and swap in the eggpant. I'll have to remember to try to grill it in the summer!
  • TwinklinBrwnEyes
    TwinklinBrwnEyes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Lasagna. Eggplant in place of the noodles. Low Fat Mozzarella . Sorry no exact recipe. Try googling it.