Wrist HRM vs. Chest??

Options
I'm sure this has been a topic before, but I didn't have time to search through old threads, so just wanted a little input. I am desperately wanting to purchase a HRM, but want to make sure I'm getting the most effective. Do you guys prefer wrist or chest HRM's? Is there a big difference in accuracy?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I prefer the one I have. It's a Polar F6. It is basic, it has a wrist and chest strap. You have to wear the chest strap for it to properly calculate what your heart rate is. The one that is just the watch, you have to tap it every now and then to get it to catch up to what you are doing. The more accurate ones have chest straps with a watch you wear.
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM with the chest strap and I love it because it gives you a continuous reading of your heart rate as oppose to the wrist watch only where you have to almost stop what you are doing to test your heart rate at that moment. Also, I've heard of a lot of inaccuracies with the wrist watch compared to that with the chest strap. Some say the strap is uncomfortable but if you wear it correctly, you wouldn't know it was there.

Good luck!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Get the chest strap kind!!

The main difference between the two types is that the chest strap kind monitors your heart rate the entire time you are working out, whereas the wrist only kind usually requires you to stop and take your pulse reading (or do it while you are working out) regularly for it to figure your calories.

The chest strap is just way easier for me since I don't have to remember to do anything.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    ha, beahawk and I responded at the exact same time with the exact same answer. LOL
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    with chest strap! best results!
  • beahawk
    Options
  • beahawk
    Options
    ha, beahawk and I responded at the exact same time with the exact same answer. LOL

lol! Too funny but we both love our HRM with the chest strap!!!
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapy heart rate watch from Amazon (I'm in the UK) and it's very accurate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Heart-Monitor-Calorie-Counter/dp/B00423OLRO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1296493678&sr=1-1

I suppose it depends how much money you want to spend.

Louise
  • meadows654
    Options
    I don't have mine yet, but I did some research and finally decided on the watch that reads your EKG. It's continuous. You don't have to stop to take your heart rate. You don't have to tap it. And you don't have to worry about wearing the chest strap. (I am very buxom and the strap would end up being incredibly uncomfortable with all the bouncing around I do!!)
  • ggenovesi
    Options
    I prefer the chest HRM, I have had it for about two years and really love it. I just started a new HRM training program and hopefully will start seeing results soon. I have the polar brand which my sister bought me because she is a personal trainer and recommended it. Hope this is helpful.