Now its time to get Serious!(Read please)

Options
Okay so today and yesterday I had a free day, which will be my last for a very long time! Ive been on mfp since the 4th(jan) and unfortunately I had to start fresh, but its okay though cause now i know better about my food choices. This time though Im getting serious about this now and by the summer I WILL have lost atleast half my goal weight(OMG! YES I'VE JUST SET MYSELF A GOAL) Time to change and get serious, So i would like you guys to help me out by giving good things i should look for tmrw when i go grocery shopping tmrw.
ex) Should i buy 100 calorie snacks, granola bars, what kind of cereal to get, good fruit choices.
Yes, I would like it very much if you added me as a friend could motivate each other along our journeys
also advice to of what helped you succed
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cute post! I have learned in the past to set REALISTIC goals, because when they are too high, you get discouraged. I want you to succeed in your goals. As far as foods, you have to figure out what foods you enjoy. 100 calorie snacks are good, if you only eat one serving (I learned the hard way), also getting snacks like carrots, apples, grapes and lots of water your body will get full you won't want food. Also try not eat after 7 or 8 really based off your work schedule. Hope it helps you are more than welcome to add me! Good Luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest staying away from those 100 calorie snacks. They just make you want more because of the junk they are made of. Stay away from all processed carbs. Veggies and lean protein should be your emphasis.
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    Cute post! I have learned in the past to set REALISTIC goals, because when they are too high, you get discouraged. I want you to succeed in your goals. As far as foods, you have to figure out what foods you enjoy. 100 calorie snacks are good, if you only eat one serving (I learned the hard way), also getting snacks like carrots, apples, grapes and lots of water your body will get full you won't want food. Also try not eat after 7 or 8 really based off your work schedule. Hope it helps you are more than welcome to add me! Good Luck!

I had problems stopping at just one serving! Feel free to add me too!
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    Fruit! It's filling and healthy. Granola bars (the healthy kind, a lot are filled with sugar!) Anything with fiber will have a little extra calories but will fill you up for a long time. Protein will help tide you over, and it also helps to repair your muscles. Veggies! When you eat them, it's realy easy to eat way too many calories if you dip them in anything, so try to stay away from that. Yogurt is good, too. Light cheese. Some HEALTHY (whole wheat, etc.) pita bread filled with healthy stuff makes for a good meal too!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had to start fresh today too! After avoiding MFP due to all my fails. Get filling, tasty snacks like yogurt (or Kefir, which i prefer) lots of fruits and veggies, and lots of protein. Nothing with white flour, only natural sugar, etc. I need a treat each day so I'm eating KozyShack's rice pudding. I know its not good for you, but its satiating, cures my sweet tooth, and is portion-controlled.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cheesesticks, chicken breasts you can grill up and dice for salads, eggs (hard boiled, egg salad, etc), orowheat sandwich thins, veggies, fruit, skinny cow icecreams, etc. etc. The list is really endless.

As for 100 cal snack packs..personally I found that what you got wasn't worth the 100 cals. I'd rather look forward to my one icecream bar a night and be good the rest of the day.

Also, maybe try to make a meal plan for the week - using same lunch and breakfast so it is easy and then switch up the dinners?
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh, and mixing cereal is good. For instance, I mix plain or bran shredded wheat with Fiber one, so I cut down on the sugar and chemicals of fiber one, while still getting my cereal slightly sweetened. I avoid granola bars, find them full of sugar and not very filling. Celery with almond butter or another protein is better.
  • cdcrn
    cdcrn Posts: 2
    Options
    I suggest Special K protein bars, especially the chocolately chip. They are 170 calories and they fill you up for a little while and they dont have the taste of a regular "protein bars." They are not girtty or gross! Also, the Special K protien shake, strawberry flavor is pretty good. Recently I have found the Special K fruit and yogurt cereal is very very good!! Good luck!!
  • ywellc
    ywellc Posts: 8
    Options
    I would highly recommend getting your hands on some of these Cliff Builder Bars: Here is a link to them on Amazon as they don't sell them everywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Builders-Variety-Chocolate/dp/B001QCWQP8?SubscriptionId=0338J3P5B24W4AZ77RG2&tag=imafoodblog-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001QCWQP8

You can get them at some wholesale clubs too depending on where you live. They are great meal replacements and taste like candy bars. I usually eat about 4-5 per week usually as breakfast with some yogurt and I am full till lunch.

You also should think about not cutting your calories right away. It is easier to make changes to what you are eating first (to healthy stuff obviously :-) ) and then restrict calories than it is to do it all at once. I recommend filling your house with only (mostly) healthy stuff so there isn't options to snack on junk. Buy baked chips / salty snacks and eat only 1 serving. Buy 100 calorie packs to snack on, eat only 1 serving. Otherwise try to snack on fruits and veggies whenever possible. I've found that dipping carrots and celery into hummus is a good way to get myself to eat them regularly.

Also, it would probably be wise not to buy any soda. Replacing soda calories with calories from fruit or even sports drinks is good. Just watch the sodium intake on some stuff (for instance I buy the low sodium V8 instead of the regular whenever I can).

GL!
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Last year I was at a loss for healthy snacks to buy when I went to the grocery store, so I compiled a list from a bunch of the forums I used to look at. I just found this on my old blog. It's got some good stuff on here!

*Tuna on crackers (i.e., Wasa Crispbread)
    *Crackers with low fat cream cheese topped with sundried tomatoes
    *Triscuit cracker, hummus (or melted FF mozzarella cheese), tomato, cucumber
    *Tomato layered with basil, topped with sea salt and drizzled with olive oil and parmesan cheese
    *Small version of a pizza ~ use wheat pita bread, English muffin, small bagel or crackers, Canadian bacon & FF mozzarella cheese
    *Black bean tortilla wrap
    *Mix FF refried beans with corn and Tabasco
    *1 cup brown rice + 1 cup of broccoli + 1 oz cheddar cheese
    *Low sodium, Low fat soup
    *Fresh fruit
    *Apple with peanut (or almond) butter
    *Grapes (can be frozen too!)
    *Hard boiled egg
    *Edamame & sea salt
    *Baby carrots with packet of Uncle Dan’s (made with FF sour cream)
    *Cherry tomatoes, carrots, & celery w/ low cal salad dressing
    *Sweet potato
    *½ avocado
    *Skim string cheese, Wedge of Laughing Cow cheese or Babybel Light Cheese
    *Almonds or Pistachios & raisins or craisins
    *100 cal pack of popcorn
    *Yogurt w/ almonds, cinnamon, raisins and bananas
    *Oatmeal
    *90 cal granola bar or Fiber One bar
    *100 calorie trail mix packs from Trader Joe's
    *Sugar Free Jell-o
    *Jell-o pudding made with skim milk
    *Mix a packet of 25 calorie hot chocolate mix (or sugar free chocolate syrup) with a few tsp of lite cool whip (chocolate mousse!)
    *Cracker, peanut butter and 1/4 sliced banana with drizzled with sugar free chocolate syrup
    *Ghiradelli 60% cacao square
    *Vitamuffin
    *To drink: Water, tea, sparkling water, or water w/ Crystal Light packets
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of fresh fruit and veggies! Berries, spinach, apples, oranges, carrots, pears, broccoli-- really, any and all of the ones that float your boat. Eating a good variety of vegetables and some fruit each day is the way to go. Don't be tricked by canned vegetables or fruit-- they are NOT healthy like their fresh counterparts (and usually taste a lot worse as well.) If you can't buy something fresh, frozen versions are often almost as healthy-- but read the label and make sure they aren't too high in sodium!

Lean protein sources like grilled fish, grilled chicken, or lean cuts of other meats. Avoid fatty cuts of meat.

High fiber foods-- including foods like sweet potatoes, oatmeal, and multigrain bread-- which give you more of a "full" feeling per calorie than lower-fiber foods. If you're looking for cereals, you may want to try Kashi Go Lean, which has a good amount of fiber and protein, and a lot of nutritional bang for the buck.

Avoid foods with a lot of sodium in them. This would include most prepackaged foods, so make sure to read the labels of everything that you buy.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with the fresh fruits and veggies. Personally I do use the 100 calorie packs - I know a lot of people feel they are too full of processed food but I like having some of my old favorites in controlled portions. Fortunately I've reached the point where I can have 1 a day without downing the whole box at the end of the night. I'm not a "purist" - I want to incorporate the things I enjoy into my diet and it doesn't always have to be 100% healthy. Willpower is a like a muscle, use it to strengthen it.

I also exercise a lot and that allows me to eat a lot. For example, my basic calorie goal is 1210. Today I burned 1300 in exercise calorie so I can eat 2500 worth of food today. And I do believe in eating exercise calories. So I'm eating something every couple hours, its great.

Good luck - and truthfully no matter what you buy it comes down to what do you want? If you really want to develop a healthy lifestyle you will do it,just takes a lot of effor and perseverance.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I keep it simple. Fresh fruit for snacks. I try to stay away from processed food for snacks unless it's a protein shake.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is great for breakfast it keeps me full and its great on cold days!fruit and veggies.multi grain cherrios fat free milk
  • JaimeNay
    JaimeNay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from as much processed foods as possible. Substitute sweets for fresh fruit.. Some foods I enjoy are fat free cottage cheese with crushed pineapple, beef jerky (high in sodium so use occasionally), grilled chicken on salad, omelets made with fresh spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapenos ( a favorite for supper), grilled or steamed fish, steamed veggies, brown rice, oatmeal with fresh blueberries. Really, the more fresh, whole foods you can incorporate into your life the better you'll feel. Go very lightly with oils, butters, dressings, etc.

I always had a big sweet tooth, so I decided that when I go grocery shopping, If I don't buy it, I can't eat it. Remember that when you go shopping and think about how healthy the item is that you're putting in your cart. Learn how to read labels. If there are more than 4-6 ingredients on the label, or if you can't pronounce the ingredients, it's probably not to healthy.
  • LifeMeansSoMuch
    Options
    I would highly recommend getting your hands on some of these Cliff Builder Bars: Here is a link to them on Amazon as they don't sell them everywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Clif-Bar-Builders-Variety-Chocolate/dp/B001QCWQP8?SubscriptionId=0338J3P5B24W4AZ77RG2&tag=imafoodblog-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001QCWQP8

You can get them at some wholesale clubs too depending on where you live. They are great meal replacements and taste like candy bars. I usually eat about 4-5 per week usually as breakfast with some yogurt and I am full till lunch.

You also should think about not cutting your calories right away. It is easier to make changes to what you are eating first (to healthy stuff obviously :-) ) and then restrict calories than it is to do it all at once. I recommend filling your house with only (mostly) healthy stuff so there isn't options to snack on junk. Buy baked chips / salty snacks and eat only 1 serving. Buy 100 calorie packs to snack on, eat only 1 serving. Otherwise try to snack on fruits and veggies whenever possible. I've found that dipping carrots and celery into hummus is a good way to get myself to eat them regularly.

Also, it would probably be wise not to buy any soda. Replacing soda calories with calories from fruit or even sports drinks is good. Just watch the sodium intake on some stuff (for instance I buy the low sodium V8 instead of the regular whenever I can).

GL!

Only problem is im the only one in my household that really trying to eat a healthier lifestyle. My mom is trying which i appreciate very much but yakno sometimes its not enough
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Only problem is im the only one in my household that really trying to eat a healthier lifestyle. My mom is trying which i appreciate very much but yakno sometimes its not enough

My mom didn't cook too healthy for me growing up, but now when I go home for a meal I just try to eat more of the healthy options she has made, like WAY more salad, and half the main dish I'd normally eat. It helps!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks lately have been hummus and baby carrots as well as Greek yogurt and blueberries.

I also agree that you should try to avoid the 100 calorie snack packs as they are simply junk food packaged in smaller bags. Try to get some fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains in there without the processed stuff for best nutrition. You can still lose weight eating the 100 calorie snack packs, but you won't be as healthy as if you were eating something more nutritious like an apple which also is 100 calories.