Coffee?

Options
I'm a new coffee drinker. This is probably a stupid question for most. Does coffee really have no calories? I bought some Keurig K cups that are "Donut House Collection" Cinnamon Roll. There are no nutrition facts on the box. When I searched the data base MFP said 2 cal/cup. How can this be?

Replies

• Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Brewed coffee has no calories. It is just flavored water. You just have to count the cream and sugar.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Coffee is similar to tea - it's just flavored water with caffeine, really. The calories come in when you start adding milk, sugar, etc.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I enter 3 cups of coffee it will say something like 5 calories total. It's really not enough to worry about. Log the cream and sugar. If it's a flavored coffee and/or it tastes sweet without sugar, I would search online to see if there is info. When something tastes sweet, it usually has some calories.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Coffee has minimal calories - a few calories per cup. Per the USDA nutrient database ( http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ ), brewed coffee from grounds has 2 calories per 8oz cup. It's not enough to worry about. I log my coffee to track how much coffee I'm drinking - not so much for the calories.

I'd just log it under MFP's generic "coffee - brewed from grounds" or something like that. You'll get the 2 calories and you'll see it in your food log. It's good to track it and make sure you're not drinking too much coffee!
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    I'm a new coffee drinker. This is probably a stupid question for most. Does coffee really have no calories? I bought some Keurig K cups that are "Donut House Collection" Cinnamon Roll. There are no nutrition facts on the box. When I searched the data base MFP said 2 cal/cup. How can this be?

Yes, flavored water, it's what you put in it, that gives it calories... I love the flavor infused coffees, they are great all by themselves. Course I like my coffee black and extra bold :)
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    The entry I log is 5 calories a cup. I usually have three cups for 15 calories. Normally I don't log something like that, but I also use it to see how much coffee I'm drinking.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have 2 different sources, one says 2 cals per cup, one says 4. So I normally split the difference and go 3. I have also switched from crm and sugar, to black w/ equal. I usually drink a pot a day so i throw about 40 cals in my food log.
  • MFR1974
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    The curiosity in me did some research- and this is what I learned:

There are some calories in coffee because there are oils in coffee beans. I log what I drink because I keep track of EVERY calorie- which is why I keep a food diary.
    Not sure why some consider that "obsessive"...it's been a real eye opener to learn things like black coffee has some calories in it.

I do find it interesting that there seems to be absolutely NO nutritional info available for these coffees- even on the main website...

If there's 12 calories in pure vanilla extract, surely there's some calories in the flavorings they use?
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Coffee? Yes please!
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I think the reason the kcups show you 2 different amounts is because the Keurig makes 2 different size cups and depending on the size of the cup then the calories may change by a calorie or 2. I have a Keurig and pretty much all the kcups are in the data base and all of the coffees I have tryed have 5 or less, you have to watch the teas some of them in the kcups have as many as 90 calories in a cup. I also love the green tea k cups and they have 0calories!!!!!