DROWNING IN THE OCEAN OF DISAPPOINTMENT :(

Options
Hey everyone,
Today has been hard. I haven't struggled this much with my eating in a while. I had been doing so good, with so much motivation. But over the past couple of days, I feel like I've lost a lot of it. I'm so afraid of going right back to square one. The thing is, I workout so hard everyday and then come home after a long day and ruin all that work and binge. How do you improve emotionally as you improve physically?? They go hand in hand... and I just need some encouragement. I really don't want to give up. I don't have much more to go, but it still seems out of reach. I guess we all have down days, and just have to put one foot in front of the other, right?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Make sure your eating enough earlier in the day. Eat 3/4 of your calories before dinner. THis will help with that binge. If your not getting enough calories in you will grab what ever and by then it is too late
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    Give yourself a break! Instead of binging on junk .. try binging on healthy. OR when you get home .. keep busy. My downfall is idle time!
    Just keep telling yourself that you're doing great ... because you are. One day at a time ... if that's too much, one hour at a time, minute at a time or even moment at a time. Remind yourself WHY you're doing this!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling down :( I understand that it's hard to not binge when you're done having a hard day. When I work out, I try to eat a good sized meal a couple hours before I work out, so that I'm not so famished afterwards. After working out, I try to just eat fruit, which is hard for me. So I make smoothies. They're yummy and filling and it's so much easier than munching on a bunch of fruit (at least for me). If I'm craving something salty, sometimes I'll go for chips and salsa. My roommate's dad makes REALLY spicy salsa, so I can't even eat much before my mouth is on fire. That helps me to keep from binging.

Sorry you're discouraged :( I just started last week, and I was super motivated and lost 3 pounds in 1 week. Then this past weekend, I was REALLY naughty and gained 2 of those 3 pounds back. But I'm keeping my ticker where its at, and trying to stay more motivated this week so I can subtract more pounds as I catch up to last week and lose more weight.

If you want to add me as a friend, I will do my best to keep you motivated :)
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Come on, do not give up! My suggestion would be: get rid of everything (I mean everything) that is not good for you and is inside your refrigerator. If you see them, you will eat them.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like I was all of last week. I'd do well during the day with food and getting my workout in. Then, at nighttime, I'd completely give up and constantly snack. I finally realized that huge lack of discipline was hurting no one but myself. I just had to search within myself to determine whether or not I really wanted the change. Something has just clicked with me now, and I just don't see any point in doing all this hard work if I don't give it my all on sticking to my diet. Hope you can remotivate yourself!
  • turtle12
    Options
    One of the things I started doing that helped me with "after work binges" is planning my food diary the night before. That way I can see how many calories I will be consuming before I actually do. Then when I come home I know what my healthy dinner will be instead of grabbing for the snacks. Of course there may be adjustments at the end of the day- but its helped me out to do this.

Dont be discouraged!! Keep trying!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just had a night like this tonight. I've done so good for 19 days and tonight within the past 3 and a half hours, I've eaten a cadbury creme egg, a handful of m&m's, and not 1 but 2 single serving Skinny Cow ice creams...and I ate dinner. By far the WORST day I've had since I started this journey. I've been told by my fellow frineds on here not to beat myself up, it does happen, but with each day it will get easier. Remember tomorrow is another, and you can start over. That's what I intend to do. I'm sending willpower your way
  • tgburkert
    Options
    I can relate. I've been doing really well also and then yesterday hit. I binged last night and am having to claim the calories today, which is not fun. It is hard and upsetting, but just a small crash in what has otherwise been a successful journey. Let's figure out what's going on emotionally, then get our bearings back. WE CAN DO THIS! Please do not give up--I need people whose struggle is like mine, especially people who are being more successful than not.

Are we friends? If not, I'm sending you an invite.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes, we all have down days--and each time you get up, you get stronger and more confident that you can do it. There's a saying ..."◦If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed."~ David Viscott--you've already begun, now you just have to believe---really, really, really believe that you can succeed. And that's one of the best things about this site, it's just filled right to the top of people who have succeeded--and we've ALL had down days along the way. Don't give up, just get through it for today.
    The other thing is make sure you save enough space (calorie wise) to have something after you workout--if you're working out too hard and then not nourishing your body, it's going to make sure, one way or another, that it gets fed.
    I wish you luck and perserverance. I believe you can do it--I have to believe that 'cause then when I have my down days I can think of someone else who got through theirs.
  • MaraZys
    Options
    Ask yourself why you're binge eating. Are you stressed? Are you using food as a way of not dealing with your emotions? Once I realized I was an emotional eater, it made the biggest difference in my life and now I try to deal with my feelings instead of stuffing my face and then feeling the guilt that inevitably follows. Physical and emotional well being go hand in hand. Another thing that helped me was to keep all junk food out of the house and replace it with healthy snacks. Good luck and don't give up!
  • cindydenise
    cindydenise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all most certainly have our down days... sometimes weeks but all in all we do keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am a christian so that is a #1 go to when I am down. Also begin to surround yourself with positive affirmations whether it be from qoutes or directly from someone you can trust to give you positive feed back. Just keep keeping on. You will reach your goals.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your feeling down! I do the same thing!!!!! I don't want to eat in town, but by the time i get home im STARVED!!! Some days i binge major, but i remember its only one day, and i have been trying to eat more during the day...it defineatly helps!!! Good Luck!!! You can do it!!!
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    I'm so sorry you feel this way :( I've been like this for the last few days too. Just go easy on yourself. Maybe look into why you want to binge. When you feel that need try putting something else there that will make you feel better. Take a bath, drink hot tea, do your nails, read, whatever relaxes you. It can be so frustrating but you WILL do this! Better to regroup after a few days then a few years.

Good luck! We are here for you!
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. What has helped me is having something on hand for my cravings. I found a few things in the heath food section of my grocery store that suffices my cravings. Don't give up or be too hard on yourself, most importantly :)
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all most certainly have our down days... sometimes weeks but all in all we do keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am a christian so that is a #1 go to when I am down. Also begin to surround yourself with positive affirmations whether it be from qoutes or directly from someone you can trust to give you positive feed back. Just keep keeping on. You will reach your goals.

I just got finished with one of those "weeks". I craved everything not good for me. I came back with a better attitude today, I restarted with my "cleansing" (no grains for 2 weeks, sort of an induction for the South Beach diet). This helps me to rid myself of all of my cravings. I did very good today, until a few minutes ago, I started getting hungry (salad for dinner didn't last very long..lol). I haven't stocked up for snacks at home yet and all that is here are chips. I looked around the kitchen for 10 minutes and then just grabbed me glass of milk (filling). It worked. I will have to stop at store tomorrow after gym to get me some snacks for the evenings.

You can do this!!! We can all do this!!! Don't let it get you down when you slip up, come back stronger and tell yourself that you are in control.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!