Eating your earned exercise calories

Options
I've been following my plan religiously for over 3 weeks now (genuinely, I haven't slipped up once). My calorie allowance is 1340 and because i eat very healthily (lots of vegetables and fruit, brown rice and fish etc) I struggle to use up up all of my calorie allowance most days......but I do eat around 1250-1300.
I also do a lot of exercise. i cycle 10 miles a day, I do pilates, water aerobics and go to the gym 4 times a week and have done so for quite some time. This amount of exercise would increase my daily calorie allowance to around 1800 which i'd find impossible to eat.
DESPITE all this effort I haven't lost a single pound and i'm beginning to get very frustrated!!!!!!!!! (I haven't lost inches either for those who have a theory that my fat is now extra muscle from all the exercise)

I'm 30 pounds overweight and am desperate and determined to lose it but this obviously isn't working for me.
Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. xx

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When I lost my first 50 lbs ... took at least three months of Consistant eating right and exersising to start losing. took three months to see any results, then 50 lbs came shredding off over the next 7-8 months ... takes time. Lifetime goals and all :)

keep at it, it will be good for you in the long run!
  • TeeTee11
    Options
    I've been following my plan religiously for over 3 weeks now (genuinely, I haven't slipped up once). My calorie allowance is 1340 and because i eat very healthily (lots of vegetables and fruit, brown rice and fish etc) I struggle to use up up all of my calorie allowance most days......but I do eat around 1250-1300.
    I also do a lot of exercise. i cycle 10 miles a day, I do pilates, water aerobics and go to the gym 4 times a week and have done so for quite some time. This amount of exercise would increase my daily calorie allowance to around 1800 which i'd find impossible to eat.
    DESPITE all this effort I haven't lost a single pound and i'm beginning to get very frustrated!!!!!!!!! (I haven't lost inches either for those who have a theory that my fat is now extra muscle from all the exercise)

I'm 30 pounds overweight and am desperate and determined to lose it but this obviously isn't working for me.
    Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. xx

Would you mind making your diary public?
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to take in more calories. If you are cycling 10 miles a day your body is burning all the calories that you are taking in your body doesn't have enough to run and you go into starvation mode. Add some cheese or tbcp of peanut butter to your calories or a little dish of ice cream. Whatever you need to do to add a few more calories, and maybe back up a little on the exercise. Good luck.
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Wow 50 pounds!!!! That's fantastic!!!!! THAT has genuinely given me some extra motivation to stick at it. it's just good to know i'm not alone when everyone else seems to be loosing pounds from the get go and i'm still on the starting bloke! Thank you. xx
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    You HAVE to take in more calories. If you are cycling 10 miles a day your body is burning all the calories that you are taking in your body doesn't have enough to run and you go into starvation mode. Add some cheese or tbcp of peanut butter to your calories or a little dish of ice cream. Whatever you need to do to add a few more calories, and maybe back up a little on the exercise. Good luck.

Yeh, to be honest i've been thinking along the same lines, i suppose i just needed to have it re-affirmed. i have started to throw in a little peanut butter on toast for breakfast and some grilled cheese here and there.
    Thanks for the good luck wishes. x
  • Vtrembacki
    Vtrembacki Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree you body is probably in starvation mode. Or if you said you've been doing this routine for a while, your body has gotten used to it. Try switching up your type of work out or the foods youre eating.
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    [[/quote]

Would you mind making your diary public?
    [/quote]

Absolutely, there's not much on there that i've tracked at the moment as i started the plan without filling in all my details initially. There's probably about a weeks worth of diary on there. Bear with me while i work out how to change my settings...i'm still kind of new to this online version. I normally use my phone.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Since I weigh a lot, my calories are pretty high just on a regular basis. Once I work out...oh forget it. LOL Eating that much is odd to me because I've done the normal "fat girl" thing and basically starved my body. Since starting on MFP, I notice that the days I DO eat closer to my calorie goal, and especially on workout days, my weight loss is a LOT better. I use things like nuts and avocados to bump up my calories.
  • kitchenkutie
    Options
    You need to eat more calories. It seems counter productive, but as one of the other people say, you are starving your body. I did Weight Watchers and lost 67lbs. I ate every late bit of my extra exercise points. Your body needs fuel! Try low-fat cheeses, eggs, yogurt and nuts! Good Luck and keep up the good work!
  • honeyrabbit
    Options
    Since I weigh a lot, my calories are pretty high just on a regular basis. Once I work out...oh forget it. LOL Eating that much is odd to me because I've done the normal "fat girl" thing and basically starved my body. Since starting on MFP, I notice that the days I DO eat closer to my calorie goal, and especially on workout days, my weight loss is a LOT better. I use things like nuts and avocados to bump up my calories.

Thanks for that tip! I think because we have it drummed into us that if you eat more you get fat, it's really hard to get your head round eating MORE to LOSE weight! I think what i'm afraid of is eating more and I actually end up putting weight on but I think i'm just going to have to give it a shot!