10,000 steps

ttabangel
ttabangel Posts: 57 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I just bought a step counter and I come no where near 10,000 steps a day. Do you guys ever get to 10,000 steps?

Replies

• ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    I do when I run 3 miles, but the website I use say 7k steps is the recommended amount. If I don't run, I'm nowhere near 7k. I do other activites on the days I don't run to make up for my lack of moving. Also if you feel like you are really taking 10k steps make sure your pedometer is really counting everything. To make sure it is walk in a straight line counting 100 steps (both feet count). I wear mine on my shoe or else it doesn't seem to count right.
  • I average 7000 a day working as a nurse...but need to do some extra to get that 10000 in. I have a really good pedometer by Omron that I got for around $35. I have used it for the last 3 years daily. It can be worn even in a pocket but I clip in on my pants. Very motivating to keep active!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    I get 10,000+ steps at least five days a week. I walk about 3 miles a day on my job, and try to walk anywhere from 3-5 additional "exercise" miles -- which are the only ones I keep track of on my ticker.:smile:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I get well over 11,000 each day (my target) if I go to work, workout, and walk my dogs for at least 30 minutes.
  • I found that I wasn't getting near 10,000 steps in a day, unless I went walking, got on the treadmill, or some intentional way of incorporating steps into my life. I learned by wearing a pedometer during my day that what I thought was average steps, was really quite minimal. But it was a good reality check to see how much I didn't move!
  • Hi, Hard to Get 10,000/day,
    As Mr. Pedometer, and CEO of ACCUSPLIT Certified Accurate Pedometers, I am frequently asked "How do you get 10,000 steps a day?" The short answer is "We don't." In general, about 80% of our population no longer has daily tasks that make us move that much. Our productivity gains have occured in 2 generations, but our body evolution needs 1000s of years to catch up with lower calorie demand. So, we CONSUME too much for our new, lower activity levels. Energy IN is greater than energy OUT. It's that simple.
    So, I have to intentionally walk about 8500 steps in the early morning to not gain weight and to start losing, for good, now. As a former President would say, "I feel your pain." I do. I lived it every day for the past 15 years, despite my designing and manufacturing accurate research pedometers for a living! So, I have finally decided to be serious about my goal of feeling good, again, by rising early, 5:30am, and walking. Side benefit is that I am having a flood of thoughts and ideas, walking by myself in the dark, quiet mornings.
    In my hometown of Pleasanton, CA, (may have heard of it, since John Madden lives here, too), we have organized 9am, every Sat Walk 'n Talks in our parks for anyone who wants to do it. It is fun to meet new people and learn about other parts of our community. You can do it in your town, at your park, at work. Just Walk 'n Talk. If you want to let me know what you are doing, send to ron@MrPedometer.com
    Be Well, Ron
This discussion has been closed.