strength training calories

Options
Does anyone log calories burned from their strength training? (and why or why not?) MFP doesn't give the option, just curious why!? Last week I kept my HRM on the for my weight lifting sessions at the gym and usually burned around 300 calories in about 45-60 minutes. Why doesn't MFP want to acknowledge these calories? I know everyone burns differently but the same can be said with any given cardio routine. Last week I logged the strength training sessions, this week I don't think I will. . .

-Confused

Replies

• shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I log them, because mostly what I do is strength training. However, I'm using a HRM and I hear those aren't very accurate for strength training. But it's all I got.
  • kcross68
    kcross68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i log them.....but i just put it under cardiovascular...because i know i am burning calories.....
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    you can make up your own exercise title and the amount of cals burned in whatever amount of time you use, then you can select it from your list at anytime! I do with kettlebell workout!
  • KristalynkFord
    KristalynkFord Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Under Cardiovascular, search for strength training and it comes up. THen you can just enter the amount of time you did it and it estimates your calories burned. :)
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i log my strength training because my personal trainer mixes cardio work into it such as rowing. but even without the cardio, by the time i'm doing my 2nd or 3rd set, my HR is actually in my target zone! plus, strength training helps increase your metabolism, so you are burning more calories afterwards even if you're at rest, so why not log those calories! :)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Under Cardiovascular, search for strength training and it comes up. THen you can just enter the amount of time you did it and it estimates your calories burned. :)

Yup, that's what I do.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    If you did your BMR which I assumeyou did, it already takes into account your activity level. Therefore I don't think you should be eating more calories just to make up for your exercise. It's kinda confusing to explain..
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    burning more calories afterwards even if you're at rest, so why not log those calories! :)

I forgot about that, good point!
  • jennydehn
    jennydehn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read an article in Women's health that said you can potentially burn as many or more calories during a moderate/intense strength training session as during a moderate/intense cardio workout. Now I know its not exactly a medical journey, but they usually quote some study they read, so I say Log em! And as we all know, strength training gives you a longer metabolism boost and builds muscle to keep it going long after! Go strength training, yay!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Good feedback everyone, thank you! I did find "weight training" under cardiovascular workouts which I had not found before so maybe I will use that! I will plug in my own cals depending on what my HRM says! thanks!!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i log them.....but i just put it under cardiovascular...because i know i am burning calories.....
    exactly what I was gonna say!
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    I've been wondering the same! I do some strength on Wii, so I just made a wii exercise and log what it tells me, haha.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is true. I average 400-600 calories per hour just strength training.