Almond Milk

Options
I see that a lot of people drink almond milk at breakfast. I checked out the nutritional info when I went to the store and saw that it has no protein or calcium. So what's so good about it other than it's very low calorie?!! Just wondering :smile:

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    for me, its my creamer in my coffee without carbs. I don't drink milk--never did, only a splash in my coffee but now I watch my carbs and my kinky coffee creamers have lots of carbs in them -but not the unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I personally only cook with it, I drink soy milk, that has calcium. I especially drink oj with calcium and vit d, but milk wise, I go with soy milk.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Its got calcium, vitamin D and E. Other than that, its not very nutritionally dense. I put it in my coffee. The only reason I buy it is because it doesn't have to be refrigerated, so I can store it easily in my dorm.
  • vsangel87
    vsangel87 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Umm, it tastes good! lol Seriously...it's delicious! I don't drink dairy milk at all, so almond milk is my only option...well, my only preferred option (because i won't drink soy milk either). But almond milk does contain protein and calcium...at least the Blue Diamond brand does. Which brand are you referring to?
  • mtngoddess
    mtngoddess Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have as much protein as milk or soy, but I like the flavor better. I've never liked milk and have an equal disdain for soy milk (which is unhealthy in large quantities), so this is something I actually like. You can buy it fortified with calcium and vitamins. Try the chocolate, and you'll be a convert.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use it for my Shakeology and like that it's low cal. The flavor is also much better than skim milk or water for this purpose and the shake has the nutrients the almond milk lacks. FWIW, I just checked the Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my fridge and it has 1g protein and 30% DV of calcium. The Silk unsweetened original I bought today has 1g protein and 45% DV calcium. I usually go over my protein and calcium anyway so I don't worry.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    My stomach can't tolerate cow's milk or soy. Almond milk doesn't bother me.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    google it's nutritional value, I came across this:

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/almond-milk-1414.html

I make mine fresh every few days, it's very easy to make in place of processed coffeemate. I love it in my coffee!!! In fact, it's wonderful just plain creamy natural. I've added Mexican vanilla but lately have left it out. You need to look for better information about it because there is protein and calcium. It's wonderful!

My diary choice that I use for almond milk is: Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond MIlk(even though I make mine homemade...perhaps it's time I change that option and add my own to the diary) It says that 2 oz has 10 calories, 48 potassium, 3 vit A, 5 calcium, 1 iron :D
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    If you'd like to learn how to make it, there's plenty of videos & info online.
    http://www.juicing-for-health.com/how-to-make-almond-milk.html

Here's the best complete info I've found tonight about homemade almond milk...this should settle any questions! Enjoy!!!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/289671-calories-in-homemade-almond-milk/
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Thank you for the link, I would love to make my own!!

I love almond milk, but also drink soy milk sometimes. I understand that it doesnt have much protein, but it does have calcium!!YUMMMMMM
  • ristaupe
    Options
    I am slightly lactose intolerant and cannot drink soy because it contains small amounts of nickle, which I am also allergic to, so I drink almond milk. It tastes delicious and even though it is expensive it is worth the money.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I used to be lactose intolerent (it actually went away once I started eating better). But what I discovered was that I hated soy milk so that wasn't an option. And the Almond Breeze Almond Milk was cheaper than the lactose free milks, so I went with that.

I'd been lactose intolerant for so long that I can't even remember the last time I had a glass of milk, so the taste of my milk straight isn't really an issue for me, though, I wouldn't drink the almond milk straight. It's definitley almondy/nutty to me. I do really like it in cereal (actually, I think it's even better than plain milk in cereal) and I've baked with it as well. Though, don't make milkshakes with it, the nutty flavor of the milk totally overpowers anything else you put in.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow's milk or soy. Almond milk or rice milk are my milk replacement.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned that almond milk has much less sugar than skim cow's milk. That's the reason why I switched, and the lower calorie thing was a plus too cause then I could have some calories in the form of something else. :flowerforyou:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    If you'd like to learn how to make it, there's plenty of videos & info online.
    http://www.juicing-for-health.com/how-to-make-almond-milk.html

Here's the best complete info I've found tonight about homemade almond milk...this should settle any questions! Enjoy!!!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/289671-calories-in-homemade-almond-milk/
    I make it at home now too... so many nutrients and LESS mystery ingredients definitely! IT also tastes WAY more almondy, which I love. I still drink cow's milk at times but I love fresh almond milk. :) With or without vanilla.
    Only thing is I have actually not been able to find any consistent nutrition info for homemade... it has to have more fat than store bought ( as livestrong does state) because store bought has been altered and watered down in most cases. I wonder what it really is. I am not that worried about it but the info i find is very inconsistent. I have been just going by the homemade one in the system on here... closer than nothing. ;)
    Love me some fresh almond milk. :-D
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you make your own, just keep track of the nutrition info for the ingredients you use and enter them into the recipe function here to see what the nutrition stats are. I'd be curious to know since I have never made it at home before.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Maybe if you make your own, just keep track of the nutrition info for the ingredients you use and enter them into the recipe function here to see what the nutrition stats are. I'd be curious to know since I have never made it at home before.
    The thing with that tho is that you are filtering out some of the meat of the almonds when you strain it.... so there is a pulp left separate from the liquid.... hmm Oh well. Almond fat... not AS worried about that ;) And it's not like I am drinking 3 cups at once haha
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i like almond breeze unsweetened milk, not just for the 40 calories per cup, but also because it's thinner than american soy milk, which is too creamy tasting for me. (i prefer chinese soy milk by far.) my favorite beverage to make these days is 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup frozen strawberries, and 1 tsp vanilla. tastes similar to a strawberry milkshake!
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with you although I have tried it and it is good. I will drink 1% milk or light soy because I feel like they are a better options.