Does your HRM calculate calories burned for you?

Options
Hey - does your heart rate monitor calculate calories burned for you? If so, what kind do you have?

Or does it just calculate your HR and you figure out calories burned from that? I got a HRM for Christmas and it doesn't look like it tells me calories burned, but from some other posts I'm reading it sounds like it might be possible? I'm wondering if I should exchange the one I got for a different one if that functionality is out there!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It should calculate for you. Google it. I have the Polar FT4 and it does all the calculations based on the info I put in it when I first turned it on.
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VWQS/ref=oss_product

It does calculate calories for me and I really love it!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40 and it calculates my calories burned!!
  • LindaSueBakk
    LindaSueBakk Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Just bought an HRM - Polar ft4. They don't all calculate the calories so beware!
  • RippaRita54
    RippaRita54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f7 and it calculates calories burned and also shows me on screen calories burning while excerising! I do all my timing for my exercise based on how many calories i have burnt as opposed to how many minutes i have been doing it for. Much more affective i think.....
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305 does
  • Trafty024
    Trafty024 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I do now see a 'calorie consumption' screen and will look into it. Either it's just me or the instructions that came with mine aren't very clear ... probably just me! :)
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :love: I have the polar f6 and it does calculate calories burned. I love it!!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    See if the one you bought has a web site. I got the polar F4 and had to get most the info on line.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305 does

I find it only does for cycling & running, but not for aerobics exercises or weight/circuit training. I did some online research and this is apparently because the Forerunner uses distance (calculated via GPS) as part of its formula for calculating calories burned. So my 60 minutes of kickboxing this morning, according to Forerunner, burned only 130 calories. However, it is still useful when stationary for giving me my heart rate readings and an average heart rate for the duration of the exercise, which I use to calculate calories burned.