Lower Calorie Salads

Options
Just a tip I have picked up.

When making a salad use (for leafy veggies) mostly iceberg lettuce. Iceberg may have less vitamins and minerals but it is mostly water and fiber which makes it a filler and ruffage in your stomach. Then add spinach which is full of vitamins and minerals (rule of thumb the darker green a leafy veggie is the more nutrients). I load on kidney beans, garbonzo beans, and green peas too. Sometimes I add in thin red and green pepper slices too. I am a veg. so I eat lots of veggies. Now here is the kicker to the lower calorie salad...instead of dressing add half a cup or less of low fat cottage cheese and small amounts of salt and pepper to taste.

It is different and takes a little getting used to when you are a dressing lover but it makes a world of a difference.

Replies

• jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks for the tip
  • imbwy420
    Options
    All of these sound like great ideas, but you're better off eating mesclun greens instead of iceberg lettuce - drink water instead - mesclun has way more nutrients than iceberg. As far as salads go, I love a classic red wine vinegar tossed with mesclun, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. Sometimes I toss a handful of clementine pieces in, or strawberries.
  • tompetty
    tompetty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Haha! I didn't know other people ate cottage cheese on salad.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like salsa as a "dressing" too :)
  • liyahxoxo
    Options
    mm sounds good thanks! :)
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    I like iceberg also not only b/c I just like it but it lasts longer in the fridge. Big fan of radishes and purple cabbage which lasts a long time in the fridge.
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I rarely use dressings anymore and don't miss it though sometimes I'll squeeze fresh lemon.

I like simple salads like baby spinach, grapefruit, and avocado. I just discovered too that homemade granola and strawberries go well on fresh greens too. It might sound odd but those that like poppy seed dressing and berries might enjoy it.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressing. And totally mess up the "official" ratio. I use about 4 to 1. 4 parts acid, one part oil. (and maybe 1/2 part honey or agave).

dark greens + grapefruit + avocado is a great combo. Reserve the grapefruit juice and add a bit of vinegar. Also, orange juice is a great addition to salad dressing. You can also make a really nice homemade dressing with mustard oj or honey, vinegar, herbs, shallot or onion and lend it together. Not too many calories, and still seems like "dressing."

Another great dressing option is to use a bit of plain yogurt, water, herbs, lemon juice and salt and pepper (maybe a hint of honey) for a creamy, healthy dressing. You can also use buttermilk to make a creamy dressing for low calories.

I also load up on flavored vinegars: orange, pomegranate, raspberry are all great additions to a salad.