7 foods you ought to eat everyday

rsonthelake
rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I read this on fox news and thought I'd share. It is seven foods that you ought to eat everyday.

yogurt
blueberries
spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine)
tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava
walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia)
oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa
carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash)

Eat up!

Replies

• columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    thanks but where are the beans. LOL. Beans, Beans Beans good for heart ... them more you eat ... the more you f... LOL
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Thanks for sharing, I eat oatmeal (plain) most mornings, and yougurts for snack. Just need to get snacking on the rest. And I love spinach.

:)
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    One thing about Yogurt...read the sugar content on the label...it takes a lot of searching to find one that isn't full of sugar.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    I know someone who started to use Flaxseed every day. What is the benefit of it?
  • One thing about Yogurt...read the sugar content on the label...it takes a lot of searching to find one that isn't full of sugar.

Exactly.. I have yet to buy any yogurt because they just seem so high in sugar.. Anybody know of any low fat low sugar yogurt????
  • Thanks for posting :) I agree with the other posters as well, yogurt (unless you can find a healthy one) is a no-no. (That's just my opinion)

Good post and good luck!
  • zoelowe99
    zoelowe99 Posts: 11 Member
    This is off the subject....but how do you list your goals by date?

EX: SW = 235
    CW =223.5
    SGW = 199 photos taken.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I love most of those foods.....and do eat them.....but not every day!!
  • chicolitilv
    chicolitilv Posts: 9 Member
    what about fat free/sugar free yogurt? Like fiber one?
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    One thing about Yogurt...read the sugar content on the label...it takes a lot of searching to find one that isn't full of sugar.

Exactly.. I have yet to buy any yogurt because they just seem so high in sugar.. Anybody know of any low fat low sugar yogurt????
    plain fat free yogurt. you control the sugar.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Yoghurt is great!!!

I buy no-fat plain yoghurt (no flavour, no sugar, just milk and starter cultures) and is sooooo delicious.
    I have it almost every day for breakfast with fruit and muesli and it fills me up till lunchtime.
    It's also great with some herbs (mint for example) mixed in as a dressing or sauce for chicken or steak. It also works well instead of sour cream in lots of dishes.

I know that many of the flavoured yoghurts are full of compete rubbish, but ignore them, and don't dismiss yoghurt! It's a good source of calcium and the good bacterias that keep your gut healthy.
    (And no, I don't work for the yoghurt marketing board, I just love the stuff!)
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    What happened to an apple a day???? I do eat most of these daily. I choose the plain greek yogurt and add a little honey. Yum.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Greek yogurt, everyone! Get the plain kind so you can flavor it however you like. Greek yogurt has protein, no fat, and no sugar! Plus you can use it as a substitute for sour cream or add it to any shakes you make. Enjoy :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    Greek yogurt, everyone! Get the plain kind so you can flavor it however you like. Greek yogurt has protein, no fat, and no sugar! Plus you can use it as a substitute for sour cream or add it to any shakes you make. Enjoy :)

I have it for dessert with a bit of jam! Yum! And you can make a "decadent" panna cotta with greek yogurt and milk!
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/greek-yogurt-panna-cotta-with-honey-glazed-apricots
  • Maybe that's where I went wrong in looking into the Greek yogurts.. They didn't have a plain one at the store I was at... I'll keep looking!!! Favorite brand??
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Maybe that's where I went wrong in looking into the Greek yogurts.. They didn't have a plain one at the store I was at... I'll keep looking!!! Favorite brand??

There's a bunch! Brown cow, oikos, fage, I think one of the main stream yogurt even started making greek yogurt too but I don't remember which one.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    what about fat free/sugar free yogurt? Like fiber one?

Sugar free flavored yogurt doesn't exist. All of those brands use a sugar substitute to get the sweet taste. Chemical sweetener is not a good thing. I am also trying to find a good yogurt blend I can live with. So far I am thinking low fat plain yogurt blended w/ a bit of banana and a strawberry maybe w/ some stevia or agave nectar or some raw honey. I still get conflicting info on what sugars are ok and which are pure evil. :devil: Hope to find out soon, yogurt sounds real good right about now. :smile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I have tried all of the brands:

Best plain non fat: fage, 2nd runner up is voskos
    Best low fat: trader joes, chobani, fage

Ok in a pinch: oikos or trader joes. I find them to be a bit tarter than others, but the texture is good.

Avoid like the plague: greek gods, the use thickeners and other additives. Yoplait does as well, so I'd skip it.

I haven't tried brown cow yet, it isn't in any of my usual stores, but I like their regular yogurt so I am sure it is pretty good.

I do not love the nonfat ones on their own. So I switch it up. Another trick: add a teaspoon of half and half. It sounds silly but the natural sweetness of the milk fat actually balances the yogurt.

I also eating the yogurt with a sweeter fruit: like banana, mango or peaches. Or having the yogurt with something savory: like to make tzatziki, veggie dip, in some soup like tomato or carrot or to make an impromptu guacamole.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    I read this on fox news and thought I'd share. It is seven foods that you ought to eat everyday.

yogurt
    blueberries
    spinach (kale, bok choy, romaine)
    tomatoes (watermelon, pink grapefruit, papaya, guava
    walnuts (almonds, p;anuts, or macadamia)
    oats (Flaxseed, wild rice, quinoa
    carrots (sweet potatoes, mango, butternut squash)

Eat up!

Excellent list except as yummy as those walnuts are EACH WHOLE WALNUT IS 30 (THIRTY) CALORIES!!! I found this out the hard way last week. So if you eat 10 of them that is 300 (THREE HUNDRED) calories!!!

1 cup of bluebarries is 84 cals, so you can't sweeten them up....
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Love them all!!!!!!:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.