Snacking

Options
So when it comes to willpower, I definitely don't do so hot. My roommate recently brought home a huge tin of popcorn. He refuses to keep it in his room because he wants to teach me will power.

Save the railing against him please

So I've been slowly snacking on it. Now I'm aware a handful a day isn't terrible, but it ends up being five or six and then a bowl and it gets bad.

Any tips to keep away from it?

Replies

• Lydbell
    Options
    if he won't keep it in his room either throw it out to teach him a "lesson" like he is trying to teach you or ducktape it so it isn't easy to get into!
  • jessista
    Options
    First of all, your roommate's a jerk. Still, does the tin have a lid? That could help. Also, you could cover the tin with a sheet or something to put it out of your sight. Good luck.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Accidentally leave it open and make it all stale LOL

Or you could figure out how many of each kind, I assume its one of those caramel, butter and cheese tins? and put them into snack zip lock bags into 50-100 calorie packs.... and maybe it will annoy your roommate as a little icing on the revenge cake :)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    LOL @ lydbell - good one!

tell yourself it is infested with insect eggs or maggots or something completely disgusting. the crunching you feel is actually beetle shells and legs.

i know, that is pretty sick. but it helps! someone told me to imagine that tasty looking cupcake with the blue frosting that pops up in the adds tasting like play-do - totally worked.

the duct tape idea rules though
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You just need to remind yourself what your end goal is. Figure out the calories and figure out how much you can enjoy (if you'd like) and use willpower to keep it to that. Maybe buy your own healthier popcorn to substitute for your roommates popcorn when you find yourself wanting some?? Or throw it away/over salt the heck out of it and that'll teach your roommate to put it in his/her room next time :)
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Throw it away! Then just tell your roommate that you still haven't learned that will power thing...let him keep bringing stuff home until he is broke...then tell him the truth--this way YOU get to teach HIM not to be so gullible. Gotta love the roommates...
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options

tell yourself it is infested with insect eggs or maggots or something completely disgusting. the crunching you feel is actually beetle shells and legs.

i know, that is pretty sick. but it helps! someone told me to imagine that tasty looking cupcake with the blue frosting that pops up in the adds tasting like play-do - totally worked.

LOL....this so made me gag and think of crunchy peanut butter...I can't eat it because when I was younger my older brother learned how many bugs actually are allowed into foods, especially peanut butter, so I can't eat the crunchy kind because the nuts remind me of bugs!!
  • fitnezrox
    Options
    Try getting an air popcorn popper and make your own, it's much healthier and you will have no need to open up the tin. It really is not up to your room mate to "force" will power upon you, that decision needs to come from you, and you alone. He should really instead be a source of encouragement and help to you. In the end it is you that makes that decision on what, how much, and when to eat. You have to decide if the pre-made unhealthy popcorn tastes better than feeling good about staying on track and seeing results!!! Good luck my friend, it is always going to be a learning journey as we should be making permanent lifestyle changes.

Have a wonderful and healthy evening
    Kim
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think your roommate is doing you a favor... I have always had problems with will power myself... So I do something similar:

I am doing three things right now: Changing my eating habits, going to the gym at least 3 days a week with a minimum 30-minute workout, and quitting smoking (cold turkey)... I have a half-full can of Pringles sitting next to my bed and two full cigarettes sitting in my car...

Knowing they are there and having them in plain sight can be helpful. Then again, right next to the Pringles I have a cut-out of the bathing suit from a Victoria's Secret magazine that I want, lol... I think it's important to always be able to see where you are going AND where you have been.

Maybe your roommate IS just being a jerk... Or maybe he knows what you are doing is importantant to you and wants you to see that you are more capable then you even give yourself credit for. =)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

LOL....this so made me gag and think of crunchy peanut butter...I can't eat it because when I was younger my older brother learned how many bugs actually are allowed into foods, especially peanut butter, so I can't eat the crunchy kind because the nuts remind me of bugs!!

that is SO FUNNY because the same thing happened to me with nestle crunch 'bites'. i was at the movies and i kept remembering the bug parts allowed in food and had to stop eating them before i gagged! i guess those crispy rice things gross me out now! LOL!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Tell him that either he takes it back or it hits the trash. I can't have stuff like that in my house. It's not a lesson in willpower, it's someone trying to sabotage your success. Fight back and ditch the tin.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I kinda have to deal with this everyday. My husband takes his lunch to work and "requires" chips and something sweet (lucky for him he's not fat, unlucky for him he's probably not healthy). I'm a stay at home mom so EVERY TIME I open up the pantry, I have those things staring at me. I just tell myself that those are not mine and I'd get upset if someone took something that wasn't theirs and that keeps me away. Maybe tell yourself that the popcorn is not yours.