Diary Review Please

Options
Good morning one and all.

Is anyone able to take a look at my diary (I've made it public) and have a look as to why I've just stopped losing in the past week, having lost 21 lbs since 2nd Jan prior to the last week?

I know I don't record water on there, I drink between 1.5-2.5litres a day, plus a multi-vitamin tablet. I try and follow people's advice from here but I seem to have hit the wall.

Also just check the exercise diary as well as I do work out most days.

Many thanks

Replies

• Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    occasionally we all have a week or 2 were we don't loose.

I haven't lost anything for the last week and half either.

But do you track sodium??
  • LukeEalden
    Options
    I'll be honest I've not given Sodium a thought.

Also, if it helps, my BMR is 2,300 per day.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    too much sodium can make you retain water. and the chips and stuff would have a huge amount of sodium in them :blushing:

Also do you eat any veggies??? There seems to be a lack in your food diary..
  • shirlpapaian
    Options
    1. It looks like most of the food you eat is pre packaged so your sodium intake is going to be high which will cause you to retain water.
    2. You should be eating smaller meals, 6 a day. Eat every 2-3 hours.
    3. Although I am not familiar with most of the foods on your diary, they don't appear to be healthy choices. When I see the words "chips" with 500 calories or 3 pints of beer...just saying.

If you are serious about losing weight you don't have to starve but you have to make sacrifices. You have to choose better, more home made wholesome foods, vegetables, fruits, complex/resistant carbs.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I just look at your diary from January 24 to today. Even though you have not been tracking sodium in your diary, I can still see the sodium may very well be the issue. By using the button at the bottom of the diary, you can pull up the printable report, which includes sodium, regardless of whether you have been tracking it.

There are several entries for brand name, or maybe restaurant fare. (No familiar with "Ugo's" brand) Almost ALL these entries show 0 mg of sodium, which is highly suspect. On Jan 31, there is an entry for Heinz Baked Beans, again showing 0 mg of sodium. Restaurant-made and processed food almost ALWAYS contain sodium.

To make sure you are choosing a correct and complete food diary entry for an item, I suggest you take time to compare the nutritional data from the label, or restaurant website, to make sure you are not underestimating your sodium intake.

Your rate of loss will slow as you get closer to your goal weight, and a loss of 21 lbs. in less than a month is nothing to sneeze at. Guys usually lose more quickly than women. You are a male about half my age. It took me 6 weeks to lose my first 18 lbs. After that, my rate of loss did slow.

You are doing lots of cardio, which is what burns fat. As you build more muscle, your resting metabolism will increase and that will help you burn more calories.

Besides more carefully choosing your food diary entries for correctness and completeness, I suggest you go into the settings of your food diary and add sodium as one of the things you track in your diary. It will make it easier for you to keep an eye on it.

Good luck, and congrats on your first 21 lbs.

Edited to add: I just took another look at your diary, and realized that except for today, you have a calorie deficit in excess of 500 calories per day for every other day I checked. If your body needs 1700 calories just to maintain, and you burn 700 calories with exercise, that means your body needs 2400 calories to cover the energy expended on exercise and take care of your other physical needs. If you routinely underfeed your caloric needs, your body will compensate by holding on to weight.

Try upping your calories, with additional fruits, veggies, lean protein as well as watching the sodium intake, and see if that helps you break through the stall.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Your diary seems to be decent most days. Sodium could be an issue, and you should try to get more fruit and veggies, as others mentioned. The only other thing I see is that you've been fairly low on cals overall. You have a decent amount to lose, so that may not be a really big issue; but it may be causing the stall. The first thing I would try is getting a bit closer to cal goals - at least within 500 or so, if not closer.

The other two things to keep in mind is that the first couple of weeks you will tend to lose a larger amount, due to water weight. Once that is out of the way, it will slow down. Also, make sure you're measuring yourself. Measurements are often a better way to see progress, as even if you haven't lost weight, you're probably toning up.

Here are some threads that should help explain why you might want to try eating more, especially on exercise days. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What i notice is that you have ( i only looked at one day though) items that are high in carbohydrates yet have no carbohydrates listed. My guess is that your diet is on the high side, carb-wise, but not showing it, because entries list 0 carbs (for a sandwich, for a glass of juice, I noticed) You might want to track carbs too and staying under the suggested limit, or even go a little lower. And yes, start making your own food, cut out chips etc. There must be lots of sodium in there.
  • LukeEalden
    Options
    Thank you to those who have commented and taken the time to have a look.

The fact that I cannot eat salads and dislike most vegetables does make it harder than it should be I guess. I take the point about fruit though!

The beers were my first of the month, and I did burn 1300 calories at the gym earlier that day to allow me those!!

I never knew Sodium would be an issue so I'll look out for that. I thought low fat oven chips were a way for me to get calories but with not that much fat, but then I'll admit I've only been monitoring calories and fat levels in what I eat.

Does anyone else struggle with not eating most veggies and salad?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Thank you to those who have commented and taken the time to have a look.

The fact that I cannot eat salads and dislike most vegetables does make it harder than it should be I guess. I take the point about fruit though!

The beers were my first of the month, and I did burn 1300 calories at the gym earlier that day to allow me those!!

I never knew Sodium would be an issue so I'll look out for that. I thought low fat oven chips were a way for me to get calories but with not that much fat, but then I'll admit I've only been monitoring calories and fat levels in what I eat.

Does anyone else struggle with not eating most veggies and salad?

I love veggies, so I can't say I struggle with that. lol But, I have a young child - and while he's GREAT at eating veggies and healthy stuff, he's still sometimes reluctant to try something new or to REtry something he used to not like.

You can start by just trying everything again. Your tastes can really change a lot over time - so there may be some that you haven't had in years (or ever) that you might find you actually like now!

Also, for those you aren't crazy about (but don't really hate) - disguise them! You can add a lot of smaller amounts of veggies to things where you don't notice the taste or texture. Or use a light sauce to top them, to add some flavor.

Good luck with it!
  • LukeEalden
    Options
    Thanks Ladyhawk.

That's the thing though, most of them would make me heave, I've tried them of late and carrots and broccoli are about my limit.

What I also find hard is working long(ish) hours, and living in household where we've never really 'cooked', as in from raw ingredients.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, I'm sorry.

I could add more snacks of fruit, raisins, yogurts etc to boost the calories up.

Is there anything I can do if my Sodium was too high? Drink more water? Or is there anything that will break it down better? Am I missing the obvious and should just be eating less??
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is it the taste or texture of veggies you don't like? If so you might try blending the veggies into soup (easy to cook, just heat!). Or as a smoothie with other fruits to hide the unpleasant texture/flavors. You can try diff veggies to see what combinations of flavors work best for you. Plus, the mix of fluids with food is supposed to help fight hunger. Search the web for vegetable smoothies for ideas like this one http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/vegetable-smoothies/ One more idea, you might cut up the veggies into smaller pieces and mix in with your pasta sauce or curry. That way you've got the much stronger flavors to cover the veggies in a saucy mix. Oh, for marinara, easiest trick is to dice up a tomato and add it to the sauce. If you don't like raw tomato, heat with the sauce for a few minutes. That way you sneak in some fresh veggies that have much less sodium than the pre-packaged sauce.

p.s. I love veggies, but I figured it's not the first thing you want to read in a post. :tongue:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Well, at the most basic level, it IS about cals in - cals out. But to get your metabolism running at its most efficient, you do need to keep the balance in what kinds of food you're eating. High fat (of the wrong kinds) will be detrimental, as will sodium and processed carbs.

Since you've just recently started, don't get TOO bogged down in worrying about changing everything all at once. There is a lot to learn and it won't happen overnight. A lot of times, if you try to overhaul everything, it can be overwhelming and make you lose focus and eventually give up. Obviously, that's the last thing you want.

It's best to make smaller changes. If broccoli and carrots are the only two you can stand right now, then just do them. Broccoli is a great source of lots of nutrients. Start looking for recipes on the recipe topic here, and elsewhere online. Try to focus on lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies. Avoid the stuff that's packaged/processed, but if you do get something, try to find something that has lower sodium.

And eating less will NOT help. You need to fuel your body, or it begins to rebel. The metabolism runs best when your body is getting sufficient fuel, from the right things.

Just keep at it, keep educating yourself on how to eat healthier, and you'll see progress. It won't be fast, but it will be more likely that you'll lose the weight and be healthy - and stay that way. Stay strong!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Is there anything I can do if my Sodium was too high? Drink more water? Or is there anything that will break it down better? Am I missing the obvious and should just be eating less??

Sodium doesn't break down unfortunately, it's an element. If you think about fats and proteins as chains of many links, sodium is just one link.

So, to deal with the sodium in your diet,
    1. definitely drink more water
    2. try to eat more foods that aren't "ready to eat" right out of the package (e.g. roasted/baked potato is better than potato chips for the same calories) because the packaged stuff has a LOT of sodium.
    3. balance out the sodium with potassium, your body needs both. Things that are high in potassium are bananas, potato, meat (which also has sodium), etc. Search for high potassium foods online.
    4. Don't eat less food (unless you meant eat less sodium, then yes do that :happy: ). As other ppl have mentioned, you have a large deficit and your body might not be getting the nutrients it needs to burn fat and support your activity level.

By the way, I'm impressed with the amount of fat you manage to control. I have a hard time with that (I like almonds and cheese) and you have some good food ideas for low fat foods that I'm going to steal! :laugh:
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Everyone plateaus. You have lost a great deal, and now the body is in basic terms "re-regulating" Try eating more proteins, less carbs.

It will restart, good luck
  • Methodicalman13
    Options
    I just noticed you get a lot of your calories from carbs, you may want to try and get more of your calories from proteins, and complex carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc, maybe incorporate a little light weight training too as working your muscles makes them burn fat to supply them. just a few thoughts but best of luck:happy:
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein mate. lean meats like tuna/salmon/chicken, lean beef etc.
    EAT YOUR VEGE's. There are no if's and no but's to this part.
    In fact, try and get your carbs from nothing but vege's/fruit/wholemeal breads etc. BUT MOSTLY VEGS!!!!

VEGES!!!!!

There are so many man, your bound to find a handful you actually like!

Broccoli is fricking awesome. its a true man food! it really is! Carrots are also good for you. so start smashing these. And try green beans. you should like them too.

Also, get some eggs into your breakfast and drop that juice. Just get rid of it. you dont need it if your having the oats.

How do you feel about spinach? Have that for brekky also with the eggs. about 100g raw (nuke it for 60seconds!), nuke the eggs too if short on time.

Forget the chips. entirely. Just forget them please.

This may be coming accross as a bit harsh (im not sorry regardless - as you asked).

Also drop the orange juice. I like it too...but its not great. You should only be eating your calories, not drinknig them.
    Again, replace with a mountain of vege's. Throw in some chickpeas and beans for more calories and good carbs too.

I could go on and on really.

If you make half of the above changes, you'll start losing greatly again.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I have to agree with the PP's about low cals and likely high sodium.

I've read all good info in this thread. I would add:

Switch to 4 meals a day, then adjust to 5 and smaller portions. Eating every 2.5 - 3 hours keeps the metabo smooth b/c your body finishes digesting meal 1 and here comes meal 2, etc.

Protein numbers looked good - I strive for 1g pro for every 20 cals of the meal.

Protein keeps the insulin from spiking and crashing causing hunger which is usually for carbs. Also has a higher thermic value.

If you aren't already, try to do fasted cardio. If FT in the AM isn't doable then 3 hours after a meal.

I was a picky eater as well... re-try the veggies. I love asparagus spears. My stores don't have a large section of them in the frozen section, tho. :grumble: Others are out there.. just try them. Kidney beans in chili with ground turkey is a great quickie meal. I've got a good recipe that is easy to make.

Try to make more of your own food. I know it takes time but it's worth it. I can cook for a whole day and have "leftovers" all week that just need to be heated or nuked.

When buying food remember this simple rule: Try to buy it as close to how it came out of the field as possible. Frozen is OK b/c it is usually quick frozen right after harvest and as a PP said.... drop the juice. Eat fruit and you get natural sugars. Drink your fruit and you get processed sugar. Some canned foods are no added sodium, so these are an OK choice, tho not the best.

I think that should make a difference. As PPs have said, make a couple changes and get used to them and add a couple more. B4 you know it you won't recognize the way you used to eat and the new way will feel natural. Good luck and check my diary if you like.
  • alejan1975
    alejan1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    they folks above that commented about high carbs are right on. Now that you've lost a good bit of weight, it may be time to "shake it up" a bit to keep your body guessing - this often helps w/ plateaus. You may want to even consider changing the daily goals from protein and carbs - you can edit these percentages. I'm not sure of your current weight or goal weight, but a minimum .5 g of protein per lean body mass is a good target for males especially if you are working out and would like to maintain/build muscle. For weightlifters, the minimum recommended protein intake is 1g per lb of lean body mass, so .5 is most likely a good bit higher than your current intake, but not high yet (hard core body builders go for 2g per lb!!)

And to be clear, when i say per LB of lean body mass, this is an estimate so if you weigh 200 lb and are 25% body fat, then your lean mass is 150 lb. This is OK to guestimate.

I'm about 230, estimate LBM of 180 and try to intake 120-140 g per day, but i am trying to add a bit of muscle too.

Good Luck!