Welll.. I need simple explanation on Calories

Options
OK, so my Calorie amount is 1200...

Say if I do about 45 mins of exercise which is 333 calories... am I then meant to eat 1533 calories, or still just 1200?

Replies

• SlimColin
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

When you enter the exercise on the exercise page the 333 calories then transfers to your food page and you are the allowed to eat the 1533 calories and this will be your ideal for that day to still hit your target weight loss.

Hope this explains how it works, the exercise credits you with the calories that you will probably consume by going to a big dinner.

Colin
  • us05
    us05 Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks for that

But if I dont eat them, is that going to hinder my weight loss at all?
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I know there is one person here that will blast me for this, but this person is full of contradiction in not only what they post from one post to another, but also what they post and then what their profile says.

It does say you can eat back your calories that you burned in your cardio, you will loose weight at a slower pace, as my husband has. You will gain so much more tho in your physical health and endurance.

I only eat about half of my calories back, I am also on 1,200 calorie/day.

Timing your food also play and important part of your diet. Don't eat too late, graze on healthy items throughout the day, 5-6x, instead of eating 3 large squares a day.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There is much debate over whether you should up your calorie intake to replace what you burn off during exercise. Some say do it, some say don't.

The MFP stance is made clear by the tools on the site that give you extra food allowance to offset your exercise.

In contract, personally I try not to see exercise as an excuse to let yourself eat more.

It's really up to you. Try both and see what works best for you?
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think its up to you as to wether or not you want the exercise calories to count against a bit of extra weight loss or a bit of extra food.

the important thing appears to be eating the 1200 calories to ensure your body has enough incoming calories to prevent it from entering "starvation mode"

hope this helps
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    BTW sorry that my post was a completely flakey answer that probably didn't help at all. There's not always a yes or no answer with these things...
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    There is much debate over whether you should up your calorie intake to replace what you burn off during exercise. Some say do it, some say don't.

The MFP stance is made clear by the tools on the site that give you extra food allowance to offset your exercise.

In contract, personally I try not to see exercise as an excuse to let yourself eat more.

I do agree in general with this, there is never a good excuse to eat more. Yet when you exercise you do naturally become more hungry. With consistent exercising you will exercise longer and burn more calories, in the long run it pays off to keep exercising, but don't eat them all back.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    MFP is made to give you a calorie deficit, regardless of exercise. It will subtract enough cals from your daily cal goal to meet your loss per week goal, whether you exercise or not. So when it adds in exercise calories, you STILL maintain that deficit to meet your loss per week goal.

If you do not eat them, you have created a larger deficit than you (presumably) intended, and your body may or may not be able to handle that.
  • Methodicalman13
    Options
    um one thing i noticed this site doesn't do is take in to consideration strength training, not that i could see anyway. a person who does cardio than pyramid lifts 5 times a week needs way more calories than it lends to me in order to gain muscle yet still shred fat, do they have this calculated in anywhere?
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I feel it's a personal choice. The way I see it is this: If you come home from burning those calories and you're famished, then have something filling and delicious to satisfy you howling stomach. If you're not hungry, drink water and don't do anything. Sometimes I'll eat into mine if I'm particularly ravenous. There's no point pushing your body into starvation mode because you don't want to eat any of those "earned" calories and you certainly don't want to eat all of those "earned" calories. Just do you feels natural and comfortable for you. We're all different.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yeah precisely - some days you're hungry for them and others not. I'd just go with what feels right, and if you're eating the right kinds of foods and your increased metabolism through exercise shouldn't render it a problem!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    um one thing i noticed this site doesn't do is take in to consideration strength training, not that i could see anyway. a person who does cardio than pyramid lifts 5 times a week needs way more calories than it lends to me in order to gain muscle yet still shred fat, do they have this calculated in anywhere?

There is an entry in the cardio section for strenth training - just search it in the database.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

The most excellent "excuse" to eat more is that you need to fuel your body for that additional energy expenditure.

That said...I suggest you eat only part of them, in case of over estimation of calories burned or under calculation of calories eaten.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    MFP is made to give you a calorie deficit, regardless of exercise. It will subtract enough cals from your daily cal goal to meet your loss per week goal, whether you exercise or not. So when it adds in exercise calories, you STILL maintain that deficit to meet your loss per week goal.

If you do not eat them, you have created a larger deficit than you (presumably) intended, and your body may or may not be able to handle that.

Thank you very well said and it really explains alot. Your body may or may not. try it both was see what happens, be honest, be slow its not a diet , its not a race, its a life of being healther.
  • SlimColin
    Options
    Hi All,

Dear me, only my second post, but it certainly set off some heated responses? I am sorry that was not my intention.

As a newcomer replying to another newcomer, I was merely offering the advice that if you know you are going to be tempted by a group dinner to exceed your target calorie intake, then it makes sense to try and do enough excercise that day to offset the additional calories you may eat. This was not meant as an excuse if you have done 30-45 minutes of exercise to then binge on chocalates at home on your own. It just makes sense that there will be times that the pressures of families or friends to eat more for one meal and go above your ideal calorie intake, and you could reduce the impact of those one off occasions by increasing your exercise for that day.