I need something new

Options
I go to the gym over my lunch hour, which doesn't give me much time to workout. I typically do the elyptical, treadmill, rowing machine, and/or lateral thigh machine (obvioulsy not all on the same day). With so much cardio I'd like to start incorporating some weight/resistance training.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Keep in mind, I don't have much time and also, I'd prefer not to embarass myself too much if at all possible..so the simpler the better...but open to anything really! :)

Thanks very much
(also, what an awesome site...dedicated to helping people be happier and healthier...LOVES IT!) xx

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    HOW much time do you have?
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    20 minutes
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    Do you have time after work to work on your weights? Pick up some cheap weights or make your own with bottled water and do 20mins at home.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels Shred Video is only 20 minutes, you could do that at night, rather than during your lunch hour. Add it into your routine like I did. Does your gym have a circuit? Those are usually 30 minutes, but you could modify it, such as cut out a few of the stepups/cardio slots and do them between every other machine. It's a great workout. You burn way more calories doing circuit and build more muscle than doing simple weight machines alone. Most gyms are setup, with their weight machines, in line, so you can get a whole body work out in 15/20 minutes. Ask them, they should be able to show you how they have their machines setup.
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    Dang Mrs ****ie, I love that you want to be healthy,but 123lbs. at 5'8". Is that a realistic healthy goal? I mean, I'm just sayin, but that sounds VERY thin for that height...but what do I know. If I were you I'd try putting some heavier food on my fork and taking a few min of that lunch break to , I don't know, EAT!
    Concerned not sarcastic!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Any kettlebells in your club? They can be utilised quite meaningfully in 20 minutes.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Dang Mrs ****ie, I love that you want to be healthy,but 123lbs. at 5'8". Is that a realistic healthy goal? I mean, I'm just sayin, but that sounds VERY thin for that height...but what do I know. If I were you I'd try putting some heavier food on my fork and taking a few min of that lunch break to , I don't know, EAT!
    Concerned not sarcastic!

oh my i agree my daughter is that height, and was near that weight , looked so skeletal! please be carefull
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    Not long. Do you have time to workout before work? If so a great investment would be some dvds to do at home
  • ProTFitness
    Options
    I just saw your goals. 123 seems really low for someone of yor height. I am 5'4 and 140 lbs. If I were to try and get to 125 lbs I would look sickly. I am about 120 lbs of lean muscle mass. So what do you want to look like? Because a 5'10 123lb person would not look healthy to me
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    To my defense, everybody carries their weight differently. And you can't compare YOUR height and weight to someone elses because fat builds up differently on everybody.
    I am very curvy (hips, butt, thighs, and tummy), and would NOT look 'skeletal'.. I have very little muscle so I'm quite soft and wanted to start strength training. I understand they were comments of 'concern', but I am very healthy.
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    If I were you I'd try putting some heavier food on my fork and taking a few min of that lunch break to , I don't know, EAT!

and I'm sorry, but that's just rude.
  • MomsDaily140
    Options
    To my defense, everybody carries their weight differently. And you can't compare YOUR height and weight to someone elses because fat builds up differently on everybody.
    I am very curvy (hips, butt, thighs, and tummy), and would NOT look 'skeletal'.. I have very little muscle so I'm quite soft and wanted to start strength training. I understand they were comments of 'concern', but I am very healthy.

Agreed we all carry our weight differently. And just because one is thin DOES NOT mean they are healthy. I have seen so many people that are very thin, on the low end of the BMI charts (I HATE BMI Charts) that cannot walk up a flight of stairs without being winded.

But that noted, just make sure you do stay within a healthy weight range for you and please, please,.... do not go by the national BMI chart, that thing is insanely off. And you may once you start working out gain weight, because muscle out weighs fat, but you will lose inches...... so measure, before examining that scale.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i am same height and curren weight as you and aiming for 124-126, i have been this before and dont look skeletal, just lose the tummy pouch/flabby butt! anything extra just sits on my tummy/butt - sucks dont it lol!

i would say simple bicep curls if they have free weights, try and do 2-3 sets of 10-12 and up the weight when it starts feeling managable, if there are machines then try and do a different group each time (like you use different cardio machines), so leg presses and glutes one day, shoulders and back another, biceps and triceps another

see if you can book in 20 mins with an instructor to show you through the machines and suggest a few good routines :) good luck :)
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    Kate,

Oh yeah.....the evil tummy pouch!! So frustrating!
    Thank you for the advice!! I'm curious, what machines would you use for shoulders and back?

x
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    Mrs****ie, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you...just concerned about that low of a weight on that tall of a person. Please forgive me.:flowerforyou:
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    Bmorrow- Thank you, and I know you didn't mean to offend, apology gratefully accepted! x